FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Panel paves way for new Mormon temple in Gilbert - UPDATE with picture

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilbert/articles/2009/09/03/20090903gr-temple0904.html

The comments are pretty good.  LOL   I saw comments on the last article they did on this subject and someone mentioned that the Mesa temple is now in a bad neighborhood compared to the past.  Lots of people used to want to live in the historic neighborhood around it but now not so much........  

The always liked the Mesa Temple because it was so different looking than the newer McTemples they have been building.  Will be interested in seeing what this one will look like. 

Signature 

CB
Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority,or if it is said to come from angels,
or from Gods, or from an inspired source.
Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart
and mind and body and found it to be true.
Work out your own path, through diligence.
~ Guatama Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-28

Yay.  Another Temple.  Oh goodie. 
 Signature 

Truth shall set you free.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-15

You know what they say:  "You can never have too many temples!"

Of course, "they" are morons....

Signature 

smiley23.gif border=0
Doing stupid things faster and with more energy since 1962.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-28

peter_mary:

I think you meant, "they" are Mormons... well, moron works equally well....  Nah, who am I kidding, you totally meant moron.

Signature 

Truth shall set you free.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-16

TexasChick:
Yay.  Another Temple.  Oh goodie. 

Yes, I'm so excited I think I'll go take a nap.  I think an alteration of some lyrics by the band Cracker would be appropriate here:

"What the world needs now

Is another mormon temple

Like I need a hole in my head."

I think what LDS, Inc. is unaware of, is that they now announce and build so many temples, that even the truest of TBM's are on the verge of not caring any more.  Kind of like the space shuttle in the 80's. Back then school, work, etc. stopped to watch the launch but by the 90's it was so common and uneventful that no one cared anymore.

Signature 

“So understand. Don’t waist your time always searching for those Wasted Years. Face up, make your stand. And realize your living in the golden years.”
-Iron Maiden-

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-31

We just bought a house right up the street from there. Whooop deee doooo!!! Oh Well!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-15

Irish Gal:
We just bought a house right up the street from there. Whooop deee doooo!!! Oh Well!

Hang on to that house!  In a few years, after the temple is built, there will be a pack of Mormons who will pay top dollar for a house within walking distance of a temple!

In Rexburg, hotels advertise "rooms with a temple view", and even though the multiple listing requirements for homes doesn't allow for that kind of advertising (a violation of Fair Housing Act or something like that), realtors in Rexburg are quick to point out to prospective buyers when homes are in the temple neighborhood, and particularly when they have a temple view. 

That's one of the perks of building your large and spacious buildings high on a hill...that way, they are easily seen of men.  And from every living room.

Signature 

smiley23.gif border=0

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

I think I hear a faint wail in the distance.  It sounds like Crime Dog...

I hope the new monument to funny underwear isn't too close to his backyard...

Elsewise there'll be a lot videos shot on temple grounds where you'll hear Buffett tunes in the background...

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-31

peter_mary:
Irish Gal:

Hang on to that house!  In a few years, after the temple is built, there will be a pack of Mormons who will pay top dollar for a house within walking distance of a temple!

In Rexburg, hotels advertise "rooms with a temple view", and even though the multiple listing requirements for homes doesn't allow for that kind of advertising (a violation of Fair Housing Act or something like that), realtors in Rexburg are quick to point out to prospective buyers when homes are in the temple neighborhood, and particularly when they have a temple view. 

That's one of the perks of building your large and spacious buildings high on a hill...that way, they are easily seen of men.  And from every living room.

Hhhhmmmmmm. Thanks P_M. I did not think of that. Alrighty then!! I'm off to make my welcome signs. Watch for me on the local news folks!!!!

RankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-06

Irish Gal:
peter_mary:
Irish Gal:

Hhhhmmmmmm. Thanks P_M. I did not think of that. Alrighty then!! I'm off to make my welcome signs. Watch for me on the local news folks!!!!

Ya, def. hold onto the house.  It is ridiculous how much mormons will pay to live close to a temple.  I am an appraiser in Utah, moved up here 5 yrs ago from Gilbert.  But the values around the mt. timp and draper temple are way, way over the averages.  I say let them build it, let the economy recover a bit, and then sell that house and extract your past wasted tithing from some rich mormon willing to pay a stupid amount to have bragging rights of living close to the temple.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Just gotta keep spending that money for environmentally insatiable buildings.....that lie empty for some time.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-13

I kinda wonder how the Mormons in Tucson, 100 miles south, feel about another temple in the Phoenix area while they have none?

I live a few miles from this site. Mormons own the Gilbert Town Council, and pretty much get their way in almost any matter proposed.

ft

Signature 

It is one’s willingness to become uncomfortable and face the fear that what we might uncover could rock the foundations of our world that will allow us to escape the bonds of Mormonism.

INTROSPECT

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

Tessa:
Just gotta keep spending that money for environmentally insatiable buildings.....that lie empty for some time.

Yep.  When you think about it, churches of any kind are the most inefficient uses of a building.  The places are empty most of the time.

Maybe the 'greenies' should start protesting the waste of bricks and mortar, not to mention the maintenance costs and waste of resources...

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

RankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-06

I wonder if I know any of you postmo folks from gilbert. I lived there for 8 years up till 2005. If you think you know me, send me a pm. Love to reconnect.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-31

New Radical:
I wonder if I know any of you postmo folks from gilbert. I lived there for 8 years up till 2005. If you think you know me, send me a pm. Love to reconnect.

I'm a "newbie" to Gilbert! I really like it there.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

Ya know I just realized I live just up the street from it off Greenfield in Mesa.....another reason for me not to go south of Baseline road......   LOL 

Just kiddin'

Signature 

CB
Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority,or if it is said to come from angels,
~ Guatama Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

Here is a drawing of this temple......

Gilbert LDS temple

Can you say butt-freakin' ugly?!   And talk about a phallic symbol....LMAO 

Good Lord...the penishood at it's best!!!

Signature 

CB
~ Guatama Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-27

This temple is just up the road from the gilbert youth soccer complex where my son plays.  I guess he will soon be playing soccer in the shadow of the temple.  You have got to be kidding me.  I can't imagine how they are going to use this temple on the youth.  In addition to creepy dead dunking, i bet they do like ward youth picknicks on the lawn and who knows what else.

All the money they are spending on this thing.  Think of the good they could have done with that money in Gilbert or anywhere.  So proud of how "nice" they make these buildings.  It's horrible.  Even thinking about the free buffet at the church office building today is not cheering me up.  Although I bet they killed it at lunch.  I bet they had like one of those roast beef carving stations at lunch today.

Signature 

You wanna leave me baby be my guest
All I’m gonna do is cry
And then I’m gonna find me someone else
And tear the stars out of the sky
You don’t need me anymore
They say storms are right for summertime
Well, baby I’m long gone
Whatcha gonna do
When you open your eyes?
It’s a brand new day and baby
No blue skies

No Blue Skies
Lloyd Cole
http://vimeo.com/92588634

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-31

It kind of makes me wonder why the LDS Church spends so much time and money building these edifices when it looks like to me more people are leaving the church than joining or staying.  And what gets me even more is that when you ask for help, like a food order or rent payment, you are told that you are not being frugal enough and that church welfare is for the truly  needy.  Well, if I'm asking you for help I must have a "need".  If I didn't "need" help, I wouldn't be groveling at your big cherrywood finish desk with the big leather overstuffed chair.

Sorry, I just call them like I see them.

I think the temples are nice - it gives people something to do, but the money would be better spent by donating money to domestic violence shelters, homeless shelters, and to help bail out the U.S. Economy in general.

Hmmmm, the U.S. Economy . . . I think I'm on to something here!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-15

I'm still working on it, but my futuristic novel involves ALL temples, worldwide, becoming brothels... unionized, of course.

Kinda poetic, eh?

Signature 

The above post is merely the experience, observation and perspective of a NeverMo, offered in support of the members of PostMormon.org

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum” aka: “Don’t let the bastards grind you down.” — “The Handmaid’s Tale” ...Margaret Atwood

“Nearly 7 billion people on the planet, hurting one person’s feelings really isn’t a big deal. You’ll find other friends. Better ones that won’t try to force feed you pig shit.” — General Smith

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-15

It kinda looks like a pyramid to me - which is aprapo.  Like pyramids, the church is built on the blood and sacrifice of slaves (members).  I am so glad there are no plans for a temple in KY.  Nashville, TN (or actually Franklin, TN) is too close for me.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-06

GraciesDaddy:

I'm still working on it, but my futuristic novel involves ALL temples, worldwide, becoming brothels... unionized, of course.

Kinda poetic, eh?

Just so said brothels are non-gender specific, welcoming hetro and homo patrons alike. After all, this is a brand new century with governments of many lands having gotten the word that diversity is what makes the human family most interesting. I suggest the Moroni statues be taken down and replaced with large flags of rainbow colors. Oh wait, that might be a copyright infringement. Whatever...  

Signature 

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-28

CadillacCTS:

It kind of makes me wonder why the LDS Church spends so much time and money building these edifices when it looks like to me more people are leaving the church than joining or staying.  And what gets me even more is that when you ask for help, like a food order or rent payment, you are told that you are not being frugal enough and that church welfare is for the truly  needy.  Well, if I'm asking you for help I must have a "need".  If I didn't "need" help, I wouldn't be groveling at your big cherrywood finish desk with the big leather overstuffed chair.

I think the temples are nice - it gives people something to do, but the money would be better spent by donating money to domestic violence shelters, homeless shelters, and to help bail out the U.S. Economy in general.

Hmmmm, the U.S. Economy . . . I think I'm on to something here!

If you have a temple neaby it stimulates members to be full tithe payors. If the temple is far away people will rationalize not paying a full tithe because they cant go to the temple anyways. Well know they don't have that excuse.

Now the Mormon Peer pressure will increase and so will the $$ from members tithing.

It is a scam and they work it well.

Signature 

The Book of Mormon is Christian “Fan Fiction”.... I am not a fan :)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

TexasChick:
peter_mary:

I think you meant, "they" are Mormons... well, moron works equally well....  Nah, who am I kidding, you totally meant moron.

i think the empty suits in SLC are moronic to many things, the latest grand poobah certainly seems moronic to the PR stuff for sure...the membership i will defend a good lot of them after all i was once one of them.

Signature 

Hawkgirl: Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

Even with the PostMo billboard that went up in Gilbert...?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-31

Gilgal and the Gardeners:
Even with the PostMo billboard that went up in Gilbert...?

Yup! Even with that. I drove by the temple site tonight..............5 minutes from my house. How about we put a postmo billboard in my front yard. Boy, the neighbors would just love me

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-19

supercb:

Gilbert LDS temple

Can you say butt-freakin' ugly?!   And talk about a phallic symbol....LMAO 

Good Lord...the penishood at it's best!!!

Looks a lot like the Jordan River.

Signature 

“We discover in ourselves what others hide from us and we recognize in others what we hide from ourselves.” Vauvenargues (1715 - 1747)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

It looks like the architect is into Atlantis or Stonehenge.

Atlantis: atl2.jpg

Stonehenge: stonehenge-mir-2.jpg

Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-30

free thinker:

I kinda wonder how the Mormons in Tucson, 100 miles south, feel about another temple in the Phoenix area while they have none?

I live a few miles from this site. Mormons own the Gilbert Town Council, and pretty much get their way in almost any matter proposed.

ft

I moved to Tucson in 2001 and my sister had lived there for a few years prior. I always heard that the problem was that Tucson was too big for a small temple and too small for a big temple. I moved to Mesa in 2005, though, so I can't say how they are taking it since they announced the Gilbert and west valley temples. Probably some serious internal grief trying not being critical of the decision, I imagine. Plus Tucsonans already have an inferiority complex anyway. lol.

Signature 

Once you convince yourself The universe falls into place. You’ve got your ideas And your posse of friends. You all make up rules
And the fun never ends. But still there’s a problem that leaves you gasping for air. You look for some meaning, blank smiles are all that’s there. And still water stales a soft summer breeze. You cling to your hopes while your drop to your knees.

There’s no substance.

-Bad Religion, No Substance

Formerly “Doubting Thomas”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-15

Hmmm...

::analyzes proposed architecture::

What do you get when you take a meso-American pyramid and an Egyptian obelisk, and shake 'em all up into a Freudian monstrosity?

Answer:

I'm sure God would approve, though.  He prefers penile/pyramidal structures, clearly...

Meh...you get the idea...

Signature 

smiley23.gif border=0

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

CadillacCTS:

And what gets me even more is that when you ask for help, like a food order or rent payment, you are told that you are not being frugal enough and that church welfare is for the truly  needy.  Well, if I'm asking you for help I must have a "need".  If I didn't "need" help, I wouldn't be groveling at your big cherrywood finish desk with the big leather overstuffed chair.

OT - my mother once told me about a time when she and my father were really struggling  -back in the 60's. they went to to church for help. they sent her to the grocery store with the RS pres. my mother grabbed a loaf of bread. the RS pres made her put it back and told her she could bake her own bread.

my mother said she was so humiliated by the whole experience she vowed she would starve before she would ever approach the church again for anything. she is still a hardcore tbm but she never ever asked for ANY type of help of any kind ever again. she wouldn't ask to car pool, share babysitting or anything.

when i moved to las vegas i heard there was an LDS employment service here. so i thought i check it out. i didn't ask for money or welfare of any type. but the cold reception i received at inquiring about employment services was unreal. i decided that same sunday that i didn't need their damn help and got a job on my own by wednesday of that same week. F*Ck them.

it seems that building impressive "Spacious buildings" is more important to the business leaders of the corporation than doing any thiat might actually help people.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-11

wesmanlv:

OT - my mother once told me about a time when she and my father were really struggling  -back in the 60's. they went to to church for help. they sent her to the grocery store with the RS pres. my mother grabbed a loaf of bread. the RS pres made her put it back and told her she could bake her own bread.

my mother said she was so humiliated by the whole experience she vowed she would starve before she would ever approach the church again for anything.

<snip>

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-25

The more newer church edifices resemble an "Aztec-y" feel the more assured members subconscious "knowledge" becomes that the Book of Mormon was literal and took place in the ancient Americas.
 Signature 

welcomingcongregation.gif width=18px height=18px
“A close examination of the text of the Book of Mormon makes it clear that if the Nephite people had tried to hide from modern archaeologists, they could not have done a better job.”
  — Orson Scott Card (link)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

peter_mary:

Hmmm...

::analyzes proposed architecture::

What do you get when you take a meso-American pyramid and an Egyptian obelisk, and shake 'em all up into a Freudian monstrosity?

Exactly my reaction, P_M!  And this one is even more vertically thrust-y than the other ones you pictured. And fuglier, IMHO. (wtf is up with the obelisk?)

I wonder how many needy people are going to be refused help and how much they're going to cut missionaries' allowances to pay for it.

And didn't I hear that temple attendance was down, that temples throughout the world were having to cut hours?  Is Arizona the last bastion of TBM uber-ness?

Or are they so bent on making it look like the church is prospering they'll continue building these "monuments to funny underwear" even though they'll only ever run at half-capacity most of the time?

hartlyn

Signature 

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad.  People are either charming or tedious.”  Oscar Wilde

I want to be zen, but people keep pissing me off

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-06

supercb:

Gilbert LDS temple

Looks like a Native Southeastern temple mount with a funeral obelisk on top.

I know temples are dead ends, but if I lived in that neighborhood, the pickets would be waving... 

Signature 

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be”

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Bold Wish
Ex_aedibus
Kori
Muffin Top
sl-skipper
Sossy

Logged in: 6
Not logged in: 68
Logged in anonymous: 0