FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Mary Sturlaugson Eyer - The Church and the Negro Series Continues

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

Many of you know I am exploring the church and the racist views it had/has towords african-americans.

Today I am inquiring about Mary Sturlaugson Eyer. Mary was the first african/american female to serve a full-time mission for the church. She wrote several books including "A Soul So Rebellous" and "He Restoreth My Soul".

I found this interesting comment on amazon:

Downright fullblown fabrication, May 18, 2003

My name is Sarah, and the book is SUPPOSE to be about my life along with Marys, but the story isn't entirely true. She had me sign some papers, saying it was true. I ended my friendship with her and stopped attending the LDS church because of the lies. How much money did she make off of it???? Only she and her daughter knows.  

Does anyone out there have any information they can share? Any light they wish to shed on the topic?

Is Mary still around? Is she still a mormon? I have not seen or heard an referrence to her on any of the prominant black lds websites. Is she included in the film "Nobody Knows"?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

Never heard of her -- but I'll be fascinated to hear more if you find something else out.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

My mother has the book "A Soul So Rebellous".  I read it during the late 70's while I was still in jr/high school.  At the time I loved it especially the part where she wants to marry a white man in the temple and I think she asks Spencer W. Kimball if it was ok.  (Wrote him a letter or ???)  He told her yes because there were not many black men who were worthy priestholders.  I could have the details wrong of course.  I have always wondered about her and what she is doing now......

Signature 

CB
Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority,or if it is said to come from angels,
or from Gods, or from an inspired source.
Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart
and mind and body and found it to be true.
Work out your own path, through diligence.
~ Guatama Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

Funny but when I did a search online for her I found her listed on www.intelius.com .  It listed her as last living in Mesa Az? 
Mary Sturlangson Eyer

View Details
51 Mesa, AZ
Saint George, UT
Moscow, ID
Newark, CA
intelius.com intelius.com intelius.com intelius.com intelius.com John Eyer
Marylyn R Eyer
Taniyah N Eyer

Interesting.........I live in Mesa too but I have never heard of her being here.  It is a big town with lots of Mormons.  Maybe I need to ask around.....

Signature 

CB
Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority,or if it is said to come from angels,
or from Gods, or from an inspired source.
Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart
and mind and body and found it to be true.
Work out your own path, through diligence.
~ Guatama Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

supercb:
Funny but when I did a search online for her I found her listed on www.intelius.com .  It listed her as last living in Mesa Az? 
Mary Sturlangson Eyer

View Details
51 Mesa, AZ
Saint George, UT
Moscow, ID
Newark, CA
intelius.com intelius.com intelius.com intelius.com intelius.com John Eyer
Marylyn R Eyer
Taniyah N Eyer

Interesting.........I live in Mesa too but I have never heard of her being here.  It is a big town with lots of Mormons.  Maybe I need to ask around.....

please do - i find this interesting. in the 80's when she first published her books she was like an all-african american mormon folkhero. she was on the speaking circuit and everything.

now, there is some attention to black mormon's (Nobody Knows, there is a black mormon website etc.) and yet no mention of her. there isn't even a referrence to her historically, which is interesting since she was the first black female missionary for the church.

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-07

OK, I admit I'm posting mostly to bump this thread because I hope it gets some more attention and some more answers, because I never heard of this and it's very interesting. 

Signature 

As Neo reaches for the red pill Morpheus warns Neo
“Remember, all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-05

This is only rumor, but that's all I can add.

I read both books in the 70's and heard rumors that Mary divorced her husband and left the Morg.

Signature 

Why is it okay for Joseph Smith to have sex with 14 year old girls and other men’s wives but it is not okay for women to have more than one set of earrings?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

kay.too:

This is only rumor, but that's all I can add.

I read both books in the 70's and heard rumors that Mary divorced her husband and left the Morg.

now we are getting somewhere - so, how do we get to the borrom of it?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06

I had to log in and respond to this.  I read the thread yesterday as I was lurking and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the name "mary eyer" was familiar to me.  Then it struck me, she taught middle school english (I think it was english) at Dixie Middle School in Saint George.  The only significant memory I have of her is the year a kid, one of the popular ones, came to school on Halloween in blackface and dressed as Aunt Jemima.  I remember that Mary freaked out, pulled him into her class and yelled at him, but if memory also serves me correctly he didn't change his costume and the rest of the faculty pretty much ignored the incident and Mary's complaints.  I can't remember if she was even teaching there when I was in 9th grade, but she definitely was there when I was in 7th and 8th grade (1987-1989).

That's all I remember about Mary. 

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-06

great thread. I still have her books on my bookshelves (it would raise too many questions if the books all suddenly disappeared) and have sometimes wondered how she was. Maybe she was too much of a live wire to be embraced as a 'missionary' in today's climate- she certainly asked a lo of questions!

‹‹ Sex guilt      Post Mo Dating Sucks! ››

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
DrW
texasatheist

Logged in: 3
Not logged in: 83
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9785
Postmo's and alcohol