Let’s go tubing!
[Palmetto Post-Mor...]
Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Five in Arizona indicted in alleged $160 million Ponzi ruse, Mormon community used for referrals

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2009/12/11/20091211biz-Mathon.html

Very sad.  

Signature 

CB
Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority,or if it is said to come from angels,
or from Gods, or from an inspired source.
Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart
and mind and body and found it to be true.
Work out your own path, through diligence.
~ Guatama Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-16

The statement in the story that this was done particularly among the Valley's Mormon community is distressing, but at least two of the five seem likely to be Mormons themselves.  

Any faith community perhaps is at risk when one or more members of the community takes advantage of the good will afforded them by virtue of being members of the same faith community, but I think Mormonism may be especially susceptible to this because with no paid clergy people are given church assignments and those assignments add to their "status" and/or credibility with other members.  This elevated status may actually increase the temptation to take advantage of others.  The status given someone by the church suggests they are honest and trustworthy.  I don't know if any of these individuals were bishops, stake presidents, etc., so this may or may not be a case of leaders taking advantage of the membership, but it does appear to at least be a case of some members taking advantage of others.

This is aside from the entire question of whether the brand of faith offered by Mormonism makes the members easier targets for con men generally, but I think it likely makes them easier targets for unsavory church leaders and members.

Below is the analysis I did to determine that at least two of the people are likely LDS.

One of the people indicted is Duane H. Slade whom the Arizona Republic reports as being from Texas.  This stuff apparently happened in and around Mesa/Phoenix.  The other four involved the paper says are from either Mesa or Scottsdale, AZ

There is a Duane H. Slade listed as an alumni of the Washington Seattle Mission.  The entry on the website appears to be dated Sep 2000, and he claims to have been married for seven years, living in Mesa and working in the Young Mens.  This seemingly puts the end of his mission back to about 1992 or 93, and if he was 21 then, now 17 years later he would be about 38.   There is pretty good likelihood that this Duane H. Slade is the same one who was arrested in this matter, because the newspaper says the Duane H. Slade who was arrested was 38.  He appears to be LDS (or possibly formerly LDS).

Another of the people involved is listed as Russell Laurence Sewell, age 43 of Mesa.  There is a Russell L Sewell on Facebook who graduated from high school in 84, (presumably at about age 18 - which would make the Facebook Russell L Sewell about age 43).  The Facebook Russell L. Sewell got both a BA and MBA from BYU, and his Facebook account subscribes to the LDS Park 7th/10th Ward Facebook Page.  It seems likely that the Russell Laurence Sewell from the article is the Russell L Sewell from Facebook, and that he is LDS.

Signature 

Flat Lander

Presiding Bishop
Moron Church of Latter-day Saints

Following in the False Traditions of our Fathers
Seeking All Lightmindedness and Loud Laughter

Visit the Moron Church website
And visit us on Facebook
and YouTube

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-22

Report of this was just on the Phoenix news. And they mentioned Mormons.

Signature 

Savor the wine of life and wield the sword of truth. Sum Ergo cogito. Berucha at Asherah. Reverend William Wilson in Arizona
https://sites.google.com/site/gwylym/home http://gwylym.blogspot.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-02

I know some people who got suckered into this, including a poor widowed neighbor. They tried to pawn this crap off on me. I told them, um no thanks.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18

Two of these guys were in our ward. They moved from state to state and from ward to ward taking money from gullible mormons. It's sad that mormons trust people just because they are mormon. They took tens of millions of dollars from people in our ward. The head guy was a temple worker and went at least once a week. When he was first confronted with the law a few years ago, he got up in front of the ward and cried and told everyone that he was so sorry. They were just big crocodile tears because he continued to scam people out of their money and then moved out of state to keep the scam going. He's a Bernie Maddoff of Mormons.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-02

From reading the comments on the story, the publicity battle is not going well, even in once strong Arizona:

-

" Couldn't have happened to a more deserving people........Now if we could just get them all in one place with a big tub of Koolaid."

(they already have a place like that, it is called Utah).

-

"And it all started with, "Psst, Hey buddy, I found gold tablets in the forest and... "

-
-

" --and I have a magic hat! I know no one else can see them, just trust me!"

-

-
" You respect their faith and morals? Until 1981, when they "updated" their holy documents, official Church doctrine stated that Native Americans would become "white" if they converted to Mormonism."
-

-
" I heard of another scam like this where your investment is 10% of total income."
-

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-07

AZEvilSingleGuy:

From reading the comments on the story, the publicity battle is not going well, even in once strong Arizona:

-

" Couldn't have happened to a more deserving people........Now if we could just get them all in one place with a big tub of Koolaid."

(they already have a place like that, it is called Utah).

-

"And it all started with, "Psst, Hey buddy, I found gold tablets in the forest and... "

-
-

" --and I have a magic hat! I know no one else can see them, just trust me!"

-

-
" You respect their faith and morals? Until 1981, when they "updated" their holy documents, official Church doctrine stated that Native Americans would become "white" if they converted to Mormonism."
-

-
I heard of another scam like this where your investment is 10% of total income."
-

priceless and spot-on!

you'd think it was a bunch of postmos, either that or just people of average intelligence and an ounce of rational thought.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
BITE ME
floydian slip
Kori
My Turn

Logged in: 5
Not logged in: 57
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9663