October '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
September '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
Annual ExMormon Sacramento Party
[San Francisco Bay...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

1 of 2
What are your “MUST SEE” Christmas movies each year?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

mine are:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

A Christmas Story (yes, i even own the "major award" leg lamp)

Polar Express

It's a Wonderful Life

and now after seeing the new jim carrey, A Christmas Carol (make sure you see it in 3-D), i'll be adding that to my moviefest each year.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-04

I have to be honest, not a huge fan of Christmas movies, so my tradition is to try and watch the entire 6 seasons of Sex and the City each Christmas. It reminds me that being single is fun!
 Signature 

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about? The wasted time!!!!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Mr. MaGoo's Christmas Carol....love the music!!!
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (I even memorized Clark's rant one year!)

Christmas Story (I love Ralphie!)

Elf

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  (Technically not a Christmas movie, but I love watching it this time of year)

Signature 

I’m a Never-Mo

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-28

New Attitude:

mine are:

Polar Express

It's a Wonderful Life

and now after seeing the new jim carrey, A Christmas Carol (make sure you see it in 3-D), i'll be adding that to my moviefest each year.

Sorry, i'm going to have to disagree with you on Polar Express. The movie was awful and ruined a very wonderful book. I can't stand it.

You have to go with a classic like, "it's a wonderful life"

I also like to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended versions) around christmas time.

And Die Hard, the first one.

You also have to watch the old stop motion animation shorts, like Rudolph and Rudolph's new year and things like that. I like the Heat Meiser, brings back good memories.

Signature 

If you give a man a fish, he has food for a day. If you give fish a man, they have food for weeks!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

Mormonkey:
New Attitude:

mine are:

Polar Express

It's a Wonderful Life

Sorry, i'm going to have to disagree with you on Polar Express. The movie was awful and ruined a very wonderful book. I can't stand it.

I also like to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended versions) around christmas time.

You also have to watch the old stop motion animation shorts, like Rudolph and Rudolph's new year and things like that. I like the Heat Meiser, brings back good memories.

i simply asked what are YOUR "must see's" - not to critique mine!  lol.....to each his own for sure!  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-19

New Attitude:

mine are:

Polar Express

It's a Wonderful Life

New Attitude, you taught me everything I know about exterior illumination.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

The Muppet Christmas Carol.

love it.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-28

New Attitude:
Mormonkey:
New Attitude:

mine are:

Polar Express

It's a Wonderful Life

i simply asked what are YOUR "must see's" - not to critique mine!  lol.....to each his own for sure!  

I know, I know. I can't help it. I've never lacked for an opinion and sometimes I just have to share it. If we all liked the same things, life would be extremely boring. Besides, it's just my opinion. (but I still hate it)

Signature 

If you give a man a fish, he has food for a day. If you give fish a man, they have food for weeks!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

I like most of the movies suggested and loved Polar Express even with the creepy Tom Hanks animation (not that Tom Hanks is creepy, just the animation of his face).

One of the oldies that always seemed to come on around Christmas on cable was "The Court Jester". It's not really Christmasy but we had a tradition of watching it every year and my son had the routine where Danny Kaye is being knighted memorized. It's a silly trite and old fashioned movie but still one of my favorites.

White Christmas and Brigadoon always come to mind as well and you can't go wrong with either version of "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas".  Jim Carey is perfect as the Grinch.

I love "Scrooged" with Bill Murray too. When Carol Kane (Latka's girlfriend on Taxi) kicks Bill Murray in the chops, that just has "Christmas Cheer" written all over it.

I also love the movie "Simon Birch" (also has a short appearance of Jim Carey). The church nativity play is classic and almost as funny as the "Best Christmas Pageant Ever" book. Nothing makes a Christmas pageant funnier than a chubby angel suspended from the ceiling puking on the Sunday School Teacher. 

There's probably some more reverent Christmas themed stuff too. I tend to go for cheap laughs and bawdy irreverence. To each his own.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-23

I don't know if these are "must-sees" but....

Elf

Love Actually

Scrooged

Funny thing was I didn't like any of them when they first came out, but now I see them as fun entertainment without having to live up to any hype. 

Signature 

One must live, not just exist. - French proverb

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-28

Oh Oh Oh!! It's a tradition in our family to watch the children's play from the old movie, the Bells of St. Mary's.

Classic, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86VaRTuCaw

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-06

My top 3: 

1) Miracle on 34th Street - the one made in 1947 with Natalie Wood and Edmund Gwenn

2) The Grinch - the 1966 made-for-tv cartoon.

3) Elf

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-19

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here...with a big ribbon on his head! And I want to look him straight in the eye, and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-28

oil country:

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here...with a big ribbon on his head! And I want to look him straight in the eye, and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

YES! my favorite part of the movie!!

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

oil country:

Wow, when you say dog-kissing, brainless, dickless all in the same breath, I get so gooey I nearly need a panty liner. That was special and totally puts me in the holiday mood. Where's a mistletoe ball when you need one?

Favorite line from "Simon Birch" , I think I'm gonna hurl!!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-19

Dahli-mama:
oil country:

Wow, when you say dog-kissing, brainless, dickless all in the same breath, I get so gooey I nearly need a panty liner. That was special and totally puts me in the holiday mood. Where's a mistletoe ball when you need one?

sorry....didn't mean to give you a moistie

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-06

Dahli-mama:
oil country:

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

It's ok Oil Country, if it weren't for fellers like you I'd have to snort pepper for my daily thrills.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-22

oil country:

Yep, this is the one I memorized and recited at my family's christmas celebration :)

Signature 

I’m a Never-Mo

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-21

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-21

tanyasusie:
I have to be honest, not a huge fan of Christmas movies, so my tradition is to try and watch the entire 6 seasons of Sex and the City each Christmas. It reminds me that being single is fun!

lol!  Alright girl, way to mix things up.  I'm all about non-tradition.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

stacey:

If I have to sit through It's a Wonderful Life one more time in an overly warm room I will have a severe claustrophobia attack.  My two movies are National Lampoons and A Christmas Story.  A little cousin Eddie and Clark Griswold always do me a world of good.

"And if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to get somethin' for you Clark.  Somethin realllly nice."

I am with you Stacey---no mas It's a wonderful life.  My absolute must sees are:

1.  Christmas Vacation

2.  Elf

3.  Dumb and Dumber

4.  Stepbrothers-this gets better every time I watch it

I just like to laugh during the holidays . . .  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-15

A Christmas Story.  (Original, I know.)
Image Attachments
christmas story.jpg
 Signature 

Opinions are like assholes.  Everybody has one. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-04

Frosty the Snowman Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Miracle on 34th Street Polar Express Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey Santa Claus is Coming to Town I'm all about Christmas movies... we put them on while we make goodies, and just have them constantly going all day. It's awesome!
 Signature 

Are you intimidated by intelligent women?
Then right now would be a really good time to f*ck off.

All things that are true are useful.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-02

Definately National Lampoons Christmas Vacation!!

How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Jim Carrey

The Polar Express 

I am going to start a new tradition for myself: All episodes of Death Note. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

What?? No one is going to mention "Nightmare Before Christmas??" Nightmare-Before-Christmas-d10.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-10

I've never really been a fan of the traditional Christmas movies. However, this year I'm starting a tradition, we are going to watch a "classic" movie each year. I'm starting with one that I've always loved - Holiday Inn with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby.
 Signature 

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” 
-Steven Weinberg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

White Christmas, with Bing and Danny Kaye.
 Signature 

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-03

My movies:

A Christmas Story

Scrooge (the 1970 Christmas Carol musical).

I love the ghosts in Scrooge. I could sing "I Like Life!" over and over when I'm done watching. The movie just makes me feel happy. I always had to watch it every year at Christmas time when I was a TBM just to get over the depression from this time of year. This year, I'm happy without it. Gosh, I wonder what changed? :-)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-30

Add my vote to Christmas Vacation.

It’s a bit nipplie out…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWN5Chp1Hyg&feature=related

Oh, and A Christmas Story.... You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! 

Signature 

“I want you to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that your eyes may be opened, for that is the way Father gained his knowledge.”-Lucifer.

“It is better for us to pass through sorrow that we may know the good from the evil.” -Eve

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

i actually enjoy Nightmare Before Christmas around Halloween but also all year. 

our christmas flicks are:

Mickey's Christmas Carol: short, beautiful, to the point.  i've loved it since childhood.

Ernest Saves Christmas: "Vern, it's Christmastime.  A special time of year, a time for chestnuts opening on a roasted fire.." 

A Christmas Story

Elf

Home Alone:  "We're the Wet Bandits, k?  Wet Bandits.....W-E.."  

Muppets Christmas Carol "It's old Fozzywigs Rubber Chicken Factory.."

Santa Claus Meets the Martians, totally dorky but my kids enjoy it...plus it's fun in the background sometimes..

Twilight Zone "Night of the Meek" episode...awesome, seriously check it out, get your kleenex though.

all the classics that are on TV every year...

and of course...Christmas Vacation:  "Surprised?  Eddie, if I woke up tomorrow morning with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more suprised.."  

Signature 

Hawkgirl: Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-19

Just one more quote.  I really love Christmas Vacation.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

Mr. Krueger's Christmas.

No? 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

It's probably cheezy to mention but I still love "Home Alone". My son and McCauly Calkin could have been identical twins separated at birth so when I see that movie I am charmed throughout.  Fortunately my son turned out a lot more emotionally stable than McCauly but they still look a lot alike (except when McCauly is dressed as a transvestite).

When the movie came out my son decided to booby trap our back yard in case of robbers and used an entire spool of fishing line to web the whole thing and dug holes to trip the robbers, had paint cans swinging from the garage, etc. Mostly he just impeded me as I tried to traverse the yard. Good times.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-11

Already mentioned: 

Nightmare Before Chrismtas

Elf

Love Actually*

A Christmas Story

Not yet mentioned: 

Year Without A Santa Claus (Heat Miser and Cold Miser) 

Songebob "Christmas Who" episode

Simpsons Christmas

Edward Scissorhands

Trading Places (Dan Akroyd ends the film in a Santa suit, so it counts) 

Happy Holiday Hearth (burning yule log), but only when I'm living in a tropical climate and have to have the A/C on full blast on Christmas day. 

ETA *Yes, I know as a feminist I should be appalled by the fact that every man in this movie falls in love with an assistant/secretary/housekeeper half his age. But I can't help it. I love the Bill Nighy character and the guy who goes to Wisconsin to meet beautiful girls. Plus I am genetically engineered to love any movie with Emma Thompson in it.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

i forgot to mention Die Hard 2.  Last year Ultimate Fireball & I were wrapping presents on the 23rd until 3am and we watched a couple of the usual holiday flicks then i decided to watch Die Hard 2 which I enjoyed the snow, the double crossing, etc.  really enjoyed it...
 Signature 

Hawkgirl: Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-11

Come All Ye

Jingle Balls

Light My Yule Log

Elfing The Neighbours

Fillin' Her Stocking 

Cummin Down Her Chimney

Santa's Little Yelpers

Stalking Stuffers

Frosty The Blow Man

Grandma Got Bent Over By A Reindeer

Sleigh Bells And Cock Rings

Rudolph Play With The Carrot

Swallow My Eggnog

Santa Claus Is Coming On Mom

We Three Dongs

Pound Yon Virgin

Signature 

Morality is doing what’s right regardless of what you are told. Obedience is doing what is told regardless of what is right!

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-26

All of mine are up there pretty much! My grandpa was a professional santa claus growing up, so we have sooo many Christmas movies, CDs... everything you can think of...

I don't think the Charlie Brown Christmas one has been mentioned. I love that one. 

Muppets Christmas Carol is another personal favorite

A Christmas Story is one my family used to watch every year on Thanksgiving to sort of commemorate the start of the holidays.

Christmas Vacation is a definite MUST watch at least once or twice.

"You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant!"

It's a Wonderful Life

Cartoon version of The Grinch (so much better than the new version in my opinion... )

Those Burl Ives ones... Rudolph, the year without a santa claus, etc etc.(not really a MUST watch for me, but they are classic)

Shall I dare to mention the one I DON'T like and avoid at all costs...? Mr. Kreuger's Christmas I have always HATED that movie. It is soooo slow, never gets to any sort of point, and has somewhat of a creepy psychopath feel to it...
I remember one sunday in December a few years ago I had to watch it in YW annnnnd Sunday School, I just wanted to go home.... seriously? what a waste of my sunday.

Signature 

“I never give them hell. I just give them the truth, and they think it’s hell.” - Harry S. Truman
[/size]

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

Well. . . I really have never liked Christmas much.  One year for my Christmastime B-day DH took me to see "Bad Santa" with Billy Bob Thornton.  Absolutely R rated and pretty tacky; not so feel good 'cause it's Christmas kinda of movie.   I loved it!  I think it did have some kind of "feel good" ending - now that I think of it.  It made me laugh.  You'd have to be a BillyBob fan to enjoy it - he's the bad santa - very bad.  Not sure how I'd feel about it today - I'm a little more mature -just had a birthday yesterday.  I used to like Miracle on 34th Street. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-19

All Fun and Games:

Come All Ye

Jingle Balls

Light My Yule Log

Elfing The Neighbours

Fillin' Her Stocking 

Cummin Down Her Chimney

Santa's Little Yelpers

Stalking Stuffers

Frosty The Blow Man

Grandma Got Bent Over By A Reindeer

Sleigh Bells And Cock Rings

Rudolph Play With The Carrot

Swallow My Eggnog

Santa Claus Is Coming On Mom

We Three Dongs

Pound Yon Virgin

I don't know why that one made me laugh so hard.  Porn names are so funny!

1 of 2

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Matter Unorganized
Penguin
Rmyth

Logged in: 3
Not logged in: 71
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9710