FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

1 of 2
Tatoos - I’m looking for a good symbolic “leaving Mormonism” tat.  Any ideas?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-28

I'd love to get a small tatoo that is significant to me leaving the Morg.  I can be words or an image.  I'm just so not creative enough to think outside the box.  All I can think of are a butterfly or the words Truth Shall Set You Free (that might be pretty in small script on my forearm).  Anyway, those are so obvious and kinda lame. 

Any ideas on any good tatoos that would be symbolic of leaving the Church?  Abstract is great, just explain why.

Signature 

Truth shall set you free.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

You could use something like this, maybe?

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

I like Gilgal's "Moroni Pickle" Avatar....
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-01

The Scarlett A. . . as in apostate. . . wear it loud, wear it proud!
 Signature 

Just started my blog. Check it out!
http://nostradamyss.wordpress.com/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Something that can be small and in current style -- The Kanji Characters for "freedom" and a phoenix.   I personally have a Aboriginal firebird (phoenix) pendant that I wear all the time now.  Its literal translation is "Warrior freed of his master."  I love the symbolism.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-11

Maybe get the name of the second token of the melchizedek priesthood tattooed on your butt crack?  Every trip to the bathroom would be an insult to the cult...

Signature 

“Could a person from outer space ever come to earth?  Any Latter-day Saint knows the answer. Of course visitors from outer space can come to earth! They’ve been doing it for six thousand years!
No one on earth should know more about outer space—and talk more about it—than Latter-day Saints.”

-Kent Nielsen, “People on Other Worlds,” New Era, Apr 1971, 12

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

Tessa:
I like Gilgal's "Moroni Pickle" Avatar....

Yes, but would she want that on her shoulder or ankle when she's 80? 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-26

Butterfly.

See also: the front page of this web site.

Signature 

Formerly known as “Dogzilla.”

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I am getting a rattlesnake with two holes on either side of it put on my upper right arm in April for my bday.

The reason for this is because when I was 3 I was bitten twice by a rattlesnake in California.  Both bites were on my right arm.  It was during a family reunion.  My mother didn't even know it happened until later that night when she tried to take off my shirt and my right arm was so swollen and full of black lines that she couldn't get my shirt off, she had to cut it off.  I then spent days in the hospital recovering.

It is symbolic to me because:

- I see the snake as something that tried to destroy me.  Like the Church and my abusive parents did. 

- I see the snake as a something that has made me realize that even at the age of 3, where were my parents???  Why did no one care enough about me to check on me enough to find out that I had been bitten by a snake?

- It makes me feel like I am stronger than the snake.  Stronger than all the things that have tried to destroy me.

- It makes me feel like I have a purpose.  I should have died.  I should not still be here, but here I am.

There are many other feelings it gives me, but they are more personal, and I think you get the idea of why I chose the snake.

No matter what tatoo you get, be sure to take time to decide.  This is something that will be with you for the rest of your life.  Do some personal searching for something that triggers a symbolic feeling for you, then search for pictures.  I look at tatoo pictures, and also I have searched in clipart to find just what I am looking for.  I will get a few ideas, print them off, then think about them for a while.  I have gone back to the drawing board many times.  Like I said, it will be there forever, so choose wisely.

Also, think hard about where it is.  My first tatoo I put on my left back shoulder.  I wanted it in a place where I could hide it if I felt I wanted to, but could wear something that I could show it off if I wanted.  It is a personal tatoo with a personal meaning, and I wanted it to be just for me for a while.  I ABSOLUTELY love it.  Now that I am ready to be more bold, I am getting my snake on my upper right arm where it will be obvious when I wear most shirts, not just tank tops. 

Choose wisely and have fun!!  It is addicting!!

Signature 

Be who you say you are…and say what you feel.
Because those who matter, don’t mind…
and those who mind, don’t matter.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-31

I have a rose on my lower back......kinda symbolises my "Blooming" when I decided that the morg was not for me.It also covers a surgery scar so I killed two birds with one stone, so to speak smile

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-26

Browsing through a tattoo book, I ran across my favorite:

"No Meat on Fridays?"

And a little fish....right in her pubic hair.

Oh, wait. That's for those ex-Catholics. Sorry, couldn't find the photo online. 

Signature 

You can resign from PostMormon but they’ll always count you in their membership numbers.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-09

A classic choice is the lotus flower.  Lotus grow out of shitty mucky muddy conditions.  They rise above the muddy water that they rooted in, and once they reach above the crap, they bloom.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-09

The phoenix- a symbol from Greek mythology, of immortality, rebirth and renewal. Legend states that at the end of its long life, this legendary bird built a pyre of spice-wood in the desert. It ignited the pyre by fanning its wings in the heat of the sun, plunged into the fire and was burned to ashes. Then a rejuvenated phoenix rose out of the cinders, born again.  It is a symbol of transformation or rebirth.  

My journey from Mormonism has felt like passing through a consuming fire only to emerge as a new, free and more genuine and beautiful person.   

Signature 

My soul was removed to make room for all this sarcasm.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

How about:

No?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-04

I thought about getting a willow tree symbolizing strength -- bending in the wind without breaking. That would fit a lot of my life and hopefully the rest of my life. I might get that down the road. I have one tattoo already -- a large tree with celtic knots as the roots and the branches symbolizing my ancestral past and my future (there is a flower for each of my children in the branches). 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-16

I have thought about getting an olive tree with a little bird flying out of its branches. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-06

The "all-seeing eye of God" might be an interesting conversation item. Maybe with the eye lid closed?
 Signature 

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

I'm not interested in a tatoo for myself, but if I were I'd get a versions of one of the earliest cave drawings seen here

"The earliest known European cave paintings date to Aurignacian, some 32,000 years ago. The purpose of the paleolithic cave paintings is not known. The evidence suggests that they were not merely decorations of living areas, since the caves in which they have been found do not have signs of ongoing habitation. Also, they are often in areas of caves that are not easily accessed. Some theories hold that they may have been a way of communicating with others, while other theories ascribe them a religious or ceremonial purpose."

These were drawn by human beings that the LDS church doesn't believe existed!!! That is, based on the literal interpretaion of the creation, A careful reading of the Bible and the BOM...all of which I find incredibly insulting to our true ancestor.

Signature 

They must find it difficult… Those that take authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority.

http://dadsprimalscream.wordpress.com/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Any of those tattoos at age 80, begin to...slide.

tattoo2.jpg

Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-07

The only thing that'll keep me from getting one is the whole Mormon theme of "apostates mark themselves" (the story of the Alamakites leaving and then marking their skins). It just goes to prove their point that you're a true apostate.

But with that said, I would probably go with an Apple with a bite out of it if I was a gal. Since I am a guy, I would probably go with a question mark. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-08

I love tats.

They are addicting! 

I got my first a little over two years ago.

I call it my freedom tat.

It was after my divorce.

l_aa1507dd0934475b46a0682d24504b26.jpg

It is turning into a back piece. 

I added bars of music from my favorite song that go down my spine. 

My most recent tat is black roses that go over my right shoulder and connect to the back piece.

tataugust2009.jpg

This one  symbolizes that after going through all of the despair

I am finally blooming.

I'm considering adding color to represent leaving the church.

I haven't decided yet.

I might want to do the same as you and get a whole new tat for that,

so I'm interested in the ideas here. 

I do like this idea... 

evilgeniusmom::

I like it a lot!!! 

I am seriously considering this as a postmo tat. 

Edit: wait.. you said small.  

Sorry, I got carried away.  

Edit #2: Just go bigger...  

Signature 

“Character is determined not by where you stand in times of comfort and convenience,
but where you stand in times of conflict and controversy.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power,
then the world will know peace.”
- Jimi Hendrix

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-28

I was thinking of the words "belief is a choice"...
 Signature 

“Nothing’s lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we’ve left behind, and dreaming ahead.” - Angels in America

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-08

Comrade Snarky:
I was thinking of the words "belief is a choice"...

I like that. 

Signature 

“Character is determined not by where you stand in times of comfort and convenience,

- Jimi Hendrix

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06

I had to log in so I could ask Tip if she's anywhere near the midwest and who did the flower tat?  I have a couple tattoos, a southwestern styled lizard on my shoulder and my wife and I got a tattoo of the japanese characters for "eternal" in the midst of some cherry blossoms (you can see these if you're one of my many postmo FB friends); my next is going to be a couple nice sized lilies on my left shoulder, but I'm extremely wary of tattoo guys and flowers.  While I think the guy who did our last tattoo could do a decent job, I'm sure there's someone out there who's better.  Plus I'm pretty sure the guy who did our last one was high as he did mine, which is why it doesn't look as good (to me) as my wife's.

On tattoos.  Tattoos to me are extremely personal and meaningful.  The only advice I have is to take your time and don't rush into it.  Don't get a tattoo with small letters, people's names (even if you love them more than anything else in the world), or skulls and daggers (that's last one's just a personal thing).  They hurt more than most things (my wife compared it to child-birth), and in fact I'm pretty sure I've never experienced that kind of sustained pain at that kind of sustained level for that kind of extended time... ever.

That being said, the tat you really need to do is "your name" on your knee.  So when you're at a bar or something and you see a really hot guy/chick you can go up to them and say, "hey, did you know I have your name tattooed on my knee?  No really, I do."  My BIL had a friend do this to him a long time ago and we told one of my wife's friends about it and she said, "oh, I knew he liked me in high-school, but I didn't realize he liked me that much."  We haven't ever told her that it wasn't really *her* name. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

I also was gonna suggest Gilgal's pickle Moroni, but see that was already suggested.    The only problem is that often, tattoos ain't so pretty when you're old and saggy, which is why a pickle-like tattoo might be problematic.

Signature 

In the end no one will sell you what you need,
You can’t buy it off the shelf,
You got to grow it from the seed ~Chris Smither

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-26

mamapajama:

I also was gonna suggest Gilgal's pickle Moroni, but see that was already suggested.    The only problem is that often, tattoos ain't so pretty when you're old and saggy, which is why a pickle-like tattoo might be problematic.

That pickle could sag to high heaven and it would still look about the same.

The problem with getting a 'leaving mormonism' tattoo is that hopefully we will all move on someday. When we are completely done with it having a constant reminder might not be the best thing long term.

Signature 

You can resign from PostMormon but they’ll always count you in their membership numbers.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

I do like the phoenix design as a symbol of rebirth.

Kindda glorious.

Happy tatooing.

Signature 

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.”
                      -Hypatia of Alexandria

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Just remember, they may not accept folks into the military with tattoos (especially if they cannot be covered with clothes) and may ask that it be lasered off....so if that is going to be your job choice....to help with the recession blues...tattooing may not be a wise thing.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-28

If you want a tattoo and live anywhere near SALT LAKE CITY, UT I know an amazing tattoo artist that is top notch and will do amazing work.  You should see his portfolio.  I've always said if I ever get one I'm flying to SLC, UT and having this very close friend do mine for me.  I don't think I'd let anyone but him do it.

Anyway, I'm not going to post his info on Postmo, but if you want his name and info, PM me.  Trust me, you wont be disappointed.

Signature 

Truth shall set you free.

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-27

sorry to self-promote, but figured i'd throw mine in the mix...

Anyway, I had actually gotten this back when I was a tbm. I guess it shows you what kind of believer I was... (or probably more accurately, how apostatizing was inevitable). 

Anyway, it says "Family, God, Country". I feel pretty differently about God now, (agnostic/athiest) but I had gotten it at a time when I did believe, and it doesn't bother me that I've changed. I see tattoos as more of a snapshot of when you got it, and not something that you'll absolutely love forever.

So anyway, my two cents: Get a tattoo of "X" because you love tattoos, not because you love "X", but I'm probably the minority in that camp. I just see danger in putting too much significance on the subject of the tattoo.

It's funny, that I probably agree more now with the church in the importance that they place on your body being a temple. Not so much with the temple part, but the way I see it, this is the only body you got, make it yours! Before I figured that my body was gonna be "restored" to its natural state, etc, so it didn't really matter if I screw it up now!.

(Also, tattoos hurt ALOT

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-08

tibber:

I had to log in so I could ask Tip if she's anywhere near the midwest and who did the flower tat?  I have a couple tattoos, a southwestern styled lizard on my shoulder and my wife and I got a tattoo of the japanese characters for "eternal" in the midst of some cherry blossoms (you can see these if you're one of my many postmo FB friends); my next is going to be a couple nice sized lilies on my left shoulder, but I'm extremely wary of tattoo guys and flowers.  While I think the guy who did our last tattoo could do a decent job, I'm sure there's someone out there who's better.  Plus I'm pretty sure the guy who did our last one was high as he did mine, which is why it doesn't look as good (to me) as my wife's.

On tattoos.  Tattoos to me are extremely personal and meaningful.  The only advice I have is to take your time and don't rush into it.  Don't get a tattoo with small letters, people's names (even if you love them more than anything else in the world), or skulls and daggers (that's last one's just a personal thing).  They hurt more than most things (my wife compared it to child-birth), and in fact I'm pretty sure I've never experienced that kind of sustained pain at that kind of sustained level for that kind of extended time... ever.

I got all of my tats done by Tony at Ironhorse in Vegas, Everyone there is amazing. http://www.ironhorsetattoos.com/ If you are ever in Vegas and go there Eddie is the real expert with flowers. He is into horticulture and gardens so it is truly his passion.

I would be VERY careful about where you go to get a tat. No one at Ironhorse would EVEr be allowed to give a tat if they were high. There are lots of places that just don't do quality work and once you have a tat you're stuck with it. I brought my daughter into Ironhorse to have a bad tat fixed and fortunatly they were able to make it look like the phoenix it was supposed to be. Ironically she had it done in Utah and it ended up looking like a seagull. haha.. 

Tattoos to me are very meaningful. They are kind of like a journal on my body.

sorry to self-promote, but figured i'd throw mine in the mix...

Anyway, I had actually gotten this back when I was a tbm. I guess it shows you what kind of believer I was... (or probably more accurately, how apostatizing was inevitable). 

Anyway, it says "Family, God, Country". I feel pretty differently about God now, (agnostic/athiest) but I had gotten it at a time when I did believe, and it doesn't bother me that I've changed. I see tattoos as more of a snapshot of when you got it, and not something that you'll absolutely love forever.

So anyway, my two cents: Get a tattoo of "X" because you love tattoos, not because you love "X", but I'm probably the minority in that camp. I just see danger in putting too much significance on the subject of the tattoo.

It's funny, that I probably agree more now with the church in the importance that they place on your body being a temple. Not so much with the temple part, but the way I see it, this is the only body you got, make it yours! Before I figured that my body was gonna be "restored" to its natural state, etc, so it didn't really matter if I screw it up now!.

(Also, tattoos hurt ALOT)

Actually that tat on my back wasn't very painful I almost found it pleasant.  The one on my chest hurt like hell in certain parts. I think the pain is different for everyone some parts of the body are more sensitive then others. Your chestpiece is gorgeous but I know that a tat there is going to hurt!

Do you have tats anywhere else? It is a different experience each time depending on what part of your body is being inked.

You can buy a numbing cream that you put on and cover with plastic about an hour before. it really helps for those extra sensitive areas but wears off quickly after the plastic is removed. 

Signature 

- Jimi Hendrix

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-27

tiphareth:

Do you have tats anywhere else? It is a different experience each time depending on what part of your body is being inked.

You can buy a numbing cream that you put on and cover with plastic about an hour before. it really helps for those extra sensitive areas but wears off quickly after the plastic is removed. 

I have one that's about the same size on my lower back (ie. "tramp stamp" hehe) and some little ones on my ankles (the first one I got on my mission!). The chest hurt the worst. It was most sensitive right on the sternum but the whole thing was pretty painful. Maybe I'm just a wuss, or I'm getting older, but they seem to have gotten more painful each time. I'm sure there is a sizable mental component to it. I seem to get really nervous and full of dread and I tense up. That makes it pretty rough, especially when you've got to sit there for a few hours.

Anyway, the next time I go in, I'm DEFINITELY going to use some of the numbing cream. I don't care if it's the sissy way out or whatever. If they would allow anesthetic, I would be all over it!

Also, my artist uses a pneumatic tattoo machine. It's apparently an advancement in tattoo technology, and he says that generally speaking, his clients say it is less painful. I've had both, and they feel about the same to me, but check it out! 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-08

Brock Sampson:
tiphareth:

I have one that's about the same size on my lower back (ie. "tramp stamp" hehe) and some little ones on my ankles (the first one I got on my mission!). The chest hurt the worst. It was most sensitive right on the sternum but the whole thing was pretty painful. Maybe I'm just a wuss, or I'm getting older, but they seem to have gotten more painful each time. I'm sure there is a sizable mental component to it. I seem to get really nervous and full of dread and I tense up. That makes it pretty rough, especially when you've got to sit there for a few hours.

Anyway, the next time I go in, I'm DEFINITELY going to use some of the numbing cream. I don't care if it's the sissy way out or whatever. If they would allow anesthetic, I would be all over it!

Also, my artist uses a pneumatic tattoo machine. It's apparently an advancement in tattoo technology, and he says that generally speaking, his clients say it is less painful. I've had both, and they feel about the same to me, but check it out! 

You're not a wuss. When I got my tat over the sternum was really painful. If you had gone lower you would have found the nipple area even more sensitive (if you can imagine). I had to cut my session short and go back a few weeks later to have it finished. I made sure I used the cream. 

http://poundedink.com/emla-cream-works-great-for-tattoos/

EMLA Cream Works Great For Tattoos

May 20th, 2008 · 36 Comments

Emla CreamAfter my first tattoosession using EMLA cream I just had to write a post about its greatness.

What Is EMLA Cream?

Originally developed to ease the pain associated with needle injections for young children EMLA actually has many practical uses.

EMLA Cream is a topical anaesthesia consisting of an equal mix of both lidocaine and prilocaine. It will completely numb the skin for an hour or more and is commonly used for intravenous catheter insertion, blood sampling, minorsurgical procedures and topical anaesthesia of the cleaning of leg ulcers. It also works great for relieving the pain associated with the tattooing process, piercings and even sub incisions.

How It Works

EMLA Cream is a local anesthetic. It works by blocking nerves from transmitting painful impulses to the brain.

After applying a thick (quarter inch) layer of the cream to the area to be treated (tattooed), cover the cream with saran wrap for at least 60 minutes. Once the air tight bandage has been removed the skin will remain completely numb for at least an hour.

Signature 

- Jimi Hendrix

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-05

Hi, Texas Chick!  I don't have any advice about choosing art for your body but I want to wish you good luck. 

I have one small tattoo on my body and if I could travel back in time I would not have gotten it, as it is no longer something that is meaningful to me.  I don't hate it enough to have it lasered off, but I don't desire to get any more art inked into my skin.  I think tattoos and body art are often quite beautiful and I like to look at them, though.

Himself has quite a lot of ink and had a plan to get quite a bit more, but his tattoo artist is, erm, unavailable.  For like, 15-20 years, unless she gets out on good behavior.  She murdered her husband a few months ago and is now presumably plying her trade on the inside.

Signature 

~Bella~

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

I'm not likely to get a tattoo, but I'd think hard before defining yourself by a part of your life you are leaving.  Perhaps concentrate on something symbolizing where you want to go.
 Signature 

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.

Phillip K. Dick

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-06

Pirate Bella:

"She murdered her husband a few months ago..."

Mercy, drugged the dude and inked him till his skin couldn't breath? She will be an "icon" on the inside, and much in demand...

Signature 

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-05

apostate (FKA) strangite:

Pirate Bella:

"She murdered her husband a few months ago..."

Mercy, drugged the dude and inked him till his skin couldn't breath? She will be an "icon" on the inside, and much in demand...

Heh, death by tattoo!

She shot him in the head while he was sleeping.

http://www.crimenews2000.com/news.php?extend.1383.11

Signature 

~Bella~

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-14

I'm planning on getting several tattoos--

The one I'm planning for that loss of naiveness, is "I was a dreamer" which I plan to get on my foot. It symbolizes the idealism I once felt when I was younger, when I still believed in everything that I was told--where I took people at their word. It's the one that will 'count' for  moving away from Mormondom.

I considered going with something like Shakesphere's "To Thine Own Self Be True..." or some other quote along those lines though.

Maybe if you find meaning in a particular quote that symbolizes leaving Mormonism to you, you could get that inked. 

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-26

I just would like to emphasize that the tattoo should be positive, never negative, and hopefully not something that would make you think of negative things every time you see it.  I'm sure this is what you mean by it, I just wanted to make sure.

That being said - I'm personally going to get a lotus and/or a phoenix.  To me, the lotus is a flower that grows out of a murky pond and is still one of the most beatiful things on earth.   The phoenix symbolizes, to me, constant renewal and change and rebirth. 

Good luck!  It will be beautiful :)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-06

tiphareth:

I would be VERY careful about where you go to get a tat. No one at Ironhorse would EVEr be allowed to give a tat if they were high. There are lots of places that just don't do quality work and once you have a tat you're stuck with it. I brought my daughter into Ironhorse to have a bad tat fixed and fortunatly they were able to make it look like the phoenix it was supposed to be. Ironically she had it done in Utah and it ended up looking like a seagull. haha.. 

I suppose I should clarify, while I think my tattoo could've had a little more detail, I still think it was really well done and I'm very satisfied with it.  And I don't know if the guy was toasted when he did it or if he'd just gone upstairs with his GF for a quickie or for a drink and he was just buzzing on endorphins or... alcohol.  I'm certain his GF was toasted though.

The guy I really wanted to do my tat decided he had to convert to the JW's a year and a half ago, so he no longer did tattoos.  But he'd won all sorts of awards for his work and did my lizard (that sounds weird) and was well known by many of the tattooists on the area.  The impression I got when shopping for a new tattoo artists was that they all breathed a collective sigh of relief when he converted, cause he was the kinda artist who did it mainly because he loved it, monetary gain was secondary to him, he just really loved inking people and that kinda messed with their business cause people would book the guy for tattoos months in advance and neglect the other places (I had to wait a month and a half to get my first one).  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-20

i personally do not care for tattoos.  just have never seen one that i think is awesome enough or pretty enough to look at forever.   well, at least  - not until i got my own 3 done...  which were my lips, eyeliner and brows!

1 of 2

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.

Logged in: 0
Not logged in: 73
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9746
I Need A Hero
by SoulSherlock
INTRODUCE YOURSELVES - TAG YOU'RE IT!