October '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
September '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
Annual ExMormon Sacramento Party
[San Francisco Bay...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Dang! Ain’t Them Mormon Kids Smart?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-utah-school15-2010feb15,0,906102.story

Buttars is thinking that the kids in Utah are pretty damn smart...

He wants to dump 12th grade?

Sure.

Do it.

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

He's an idiot....according to accreditation, kids need four years of English....so Buttars, the old-age drop-out can take his alzheimers and be gone.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-22

Now now. Kids don't need secualr ejimacation. They needs the Gospel (tm)!

The Laird will give them everything dontcha know!

Signature 

Savor the wine of life and wield the sword of truth. Sum Ergo cogito. Berucha at Asherah. Reverend William Wilson in Arizona
https://sites.google.com/site/gwylym/home http://gwylym.blogspot.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-09

What they ought to do is stop with the released time for seminary.  That ends up opening up a half day of wasted time for the average Utah student.

Yeah, like dropping 12th grade is going to solve any financial woes.  Most high school classes have a blend of students from all grades, so its' not like you can drop many (if any) teachers.  It's not like the building is going to be unoccupied, so you're going to have to pay the same for facilities.  

What the hell is this moron thinking?   

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-23

Schooolin'? Bah.      

That should work out really well for the future of Utah. 
 Signature 

One must live, not just exist. - French proverb

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

YesIAmAPyr:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-utah-school15-2010feb15,0,906102.story

Sure.

Do it.

He also thinks the bus pick up service should be reduced or eliminated to help districts cut costs. One of my favorite responses was from someone who said his own district in Jordan Utah should instigate a pilot program and then let his own constituency find out first hand what their election has wroght. The guy is such an embarassment to the state but as long as they elect him he is the representation of their ignorance, bigotry, and absolute backward beliefs. He embarasses the hell out of me that he's even in the same species as any of us.

One of my favorite poets who goes by the  moniker of Pallidin wrote this clever poem about Buttars and Carrie Pre-Jean

ONCE MORE, WITH FEELING!!!!!!

Homophobia is alive and well
In Utah State of late
Old Chris Buttars is here to tell
Your homosexual terrorist fate

Them damn faggots gonna run the world
They’ll be kissing on the front lawn
If they hold hands in public
Then Democracy is gone

Does this mean that they got guns?
(Not that I have heard)
That same sex love can destroy the world
Is nothing short of absurd

So let’s make Carrie Prejean a Mormon,
The Gospel will set her free
So she can stand on the pulpit
And trash Gays most gleefully

The naked video she did as a teen?
She was just a precocious girl
All she really had in mind
Was give movie producing a whirl

Chris and Carrie! What a team they’d make
The Ho and the Mo be phobic
And Carrie can dance in a Christian way
And be religious and aerobic

Buttars can dance like a Walrus in heat
Keepin’ his steps in time
Thinking up words in his tiny mind
With “######” and “queer” that rhyme

They’d be a hit I got to admit
For Mormons everywhere
They’d so popular with the folks
They’d be dancing on Temple Square

So come all you Nazis and Separatists
Hate Blacks and Gays and Jews
You’re welcome here in Utah
(But you already had that news)

Racism, hate and misanthropy
They all go hand in hand
So come all you bigots to Utah
'Cause this is the Promised Land!

He also wrote this one:

Now old Chris Buttars is a Senator large
In the government of Utah State
He's known to put his foot in his mouth
And come under fire of late

Go down Buttars to the Promised Land
And give them Gays a whipping
They're worse than terrorists carrying bombs
In the City Mall they'll be French kissing

Old man Butters, you bigoted pig
There's more hate in you than Gays
I'll shak the hand of any Gay man
than yours on any day

All anyone wants are Civil Rights
And to live a life that's equal
So here is hoping things'll get set right-
And Prop 8 will die in the sequel

http://mormongulag.com/<!-- m -->

Chris Buttars was one of the founders/backers of this Mormon Gulag 'Institution".

What disturbes me most is not Chris Buttars, but the mentality of Chris Buttars that exists in abundance across America, not just in Mormonism but in many ignorant and backward ill informed people who have power to impact our laws and society at large. We might be able to expell Chris Buttars from the Senate, but till we change the mentality of the people, another will step in behind him and continue such bigotry.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

High schools where I have taught have graduated students early in increased numbers for about a dozen years. My brother skipped the 12th grade and that was 40 years ago. There have always been avenues by which to graduate early, if there was the desire. Most students still seem to wish to "walk the stage" with thier classmates. Early graduation is nothing new.

Mostly, students who opt to not take seminary, who do not get involved in the music and arts programs, may have the time and inclination to earn their credits early.

IMO, what would really save money in public education is to place the athletics program outside of the the school curriculum. Athletics seem to consume huge resources. However, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that THAT will be done any time soon.

As usual, Buttars ideas are behind the times and could cause unwanted ripple effects for the predominant religion. I would suspect if his "idea" builds momentum, students will opt to not graduate from seminary.

Wouldn't THAT be refreshing?

Signature 

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.”
                      -Hypatia of Alexandria

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-30

It’s interesting that Utah already spends the least amount per student on public education than any other state.  But they feel that’s just being thrifty.  Add to that the release time seminary that students are also missing out on educational credit hours.  Now they think dropping an entire grade is the way to spend even less on public education?  Utah also has one of the lowest college graduation rates.  I don’t believe they are counting the MRS degree though.  

---"Many Utahns are familiar with the fact that Utah ranks last in per pupil spending. But what do other states buy with their additional per pupil expenditures? How does Utah’s lower spending level impact schools and learning? This report looks deeper into the differences in education spending between Utah and the U.S. average, comparing specific spending categories, such as instruction, teacher salaries, pupil support, and administration. The report also compares Utah to five demographic peer states identified in a 2007 report comparing test scores. Major findings include:

• Utah spent an average of $5,437 per pupil in 2005-2006, compared to $9,138 nationally. The gap between Utah and U.S. average per pupil expenditures equals $3,702. Utah’s five peer states (identified in Utah Foundation’s 2007 report as being demographically similar to Utah) spent between $7,700 and $10,000 per pupil.

• About half the difference between Utah and the U.S. in average per-pupil spending is accounted for by Utah’s large class sizes and comparatively lower teacher pay. Research suggests that under the correct conditions, higher pay and smaller classes can increase student achievement.

• Lower spending on support services (pupil and staff support, transportation, administration, and maintenance) accounts for another 42% of the U.S.-Utah spending gap. This spending difference is partly explained by Utah’s large schools and districts. Most research on school size and district size points to advantages in school climate and student performance with smaller sizes, particularly for poor and minority students.

• Utah school officials believe that lower spending on instruction, pupil support, and staff support negatively impacts student performance. They also feel that Utah’s lower spending on administration, maintenance, and transportation are not generally harmful to education outcomes."

Signature 

“I want you to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that your eyes may be opened, for that is the way Father gained his knowledge.”-Lucifer.

“It is better for us to pass through sorrow that we may know the good from the evil.” -Eve

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-14

Peach:

What they ought to do is stop with the released time for seminary.  That ends up opening up a half day of wasted time for the average Utah student.

Yeah, like dropping 12th grade is going to solve any financial woes.  Most high school classes have a blend of students from all grades, so its' not like you can drop many (if any) teachers.  It's not like the building is going to be unoccupied, so you're going to have to pay the same for facilities.  

What the hell is this moron thinking?   

He isnt. lol

He is also the man that said gays are ruining this country, and referred to a bill he didnt like as a "black baby."

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

Butt-Butt-Buttars is reported to have said: "This baby is black…this is a dark, ugly thing."

Yes, you read it right. This is how Senator Buttars referred to a bill he didn't like the looks of.

Now from the looks of his face, that is a white ugly thing and his mudder should have drowned him at birth and done the world a humanitarian service.

Here he's  giving the stinkeye to  a member of the GLBT community in Senate hearings. He's really showing her how true CHRISTIANS view those dangerous Homosexuals. He considers them the greatest threat to the US. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I'm dyed in the wool, true blue, flaming heterosexual and I'd still go to the matt to help defend one of our citizens from such bigotry. I hope the new movie exposing Prop H8 will bring so much heat on the church that they get another negative revelation and have to start being kind to their own children and people with colorful clothing.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-12

If kids are frittering away their time in the 12th grade, then the school board, educators and parents should do something about it.

Most of our kids started taking some college level classes at the local community college while juniors or seniors in high school. Washington State has a great program in this regard.

I would agree that some kids don't need a formal 12th year. Some could already be in college, some could be in trade schools.

However, cutting 12th grade for everybody just to save money is not a good idea. If you want to get kids out of High School a year early, raise standards, work the kids harder and have the college bound kids start taking college classes a year earlier.

This would reduce the cost of classroom space and staff in the high schools while  resulting in a better educated cohort entering the workforce, many at an earlier age.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-01

May be a little off topic, but my son was in the Utah school system last year (1st grade). He came out of there not even knowing how to read! Teacher quality was poor, and I always felt like she was just there for the paycheck (however low that may be?), and not for the teaching. Here in Georgia only a couple months into 2nd grade he totally turned around. He can read anything put in front of him now! We even had a talk at the beginning of the year how she thought he might have to be put into classes to help him "catch-up". His teacher is awesome, and CARES, and even is thinking of specifically finding a teacher for 3rd grade that would be the best match for him so that he continues to succeed. One of the many reasons I do not want to raise my kids in Utah.
 Signature 

Just started my blog. Check it out!
http://nostradamyss.wordpress.com/

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-28

Isn't senior year already optional for kid's who finish their credits early? I know that a handful of non-Mormon kids graduated early in my class (1998) since they were taking real credits while the rest of us wasted our time in Seminary. The State of Utah provided all of them with a scholarship ($500 or $1000? not much, but still an incentive) to any state college or university. So it sounds to me like this guy is just trying to throw out ideas without knowing anything about programs that are already in place. What an idiot.
 Signature 

Lora
Give Peace a Chance

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-12

Lysis:
Isn't senior year already optional for kid's who finish their credits early? I know that a handful of non-Mormon kids graduated early in my class (1998) since they were taking real credits while the rest of us wasted our time in Seminary. The State of Utah provided all of them with a scholarship ($500 or $1000? not much, but still an incentive) to any state college or university. So it sounds to me like this guy is just trying to throw out ideas without knowing anything about programs that are already in place. What an idiot.

Great point - and another real issue that Utah should address if they are really interested in teaching and scholarship.

How many job interviews would have questions related to stuff you learned in Seminary?

Any Seminary questions on the SAT or the GRE or the MCAT or LCAT? (I didn't think so.)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-07

Lysis:

I know it was for me and I graduated in 1993.  I only needed a half credit of gym class to graduate with my class.

However, I needed to enroll in six credits of anything to be in my FFA presidency as well as other extra-curriculars.  I still use my FFA experiences and education.  My marching band experiences are good memories for life.  I was a sterling scholar in Art and I competed in many other competitions.  My ability to sew for the marching band and color guard led me to a job after graduation which led me to what I do today.

Is that not education too?  I think so.  The difference between being 17 and a junior and being 18 and a senior was HUGE for me.  Buttars wants kids who are still maybe trying to find direction without a whole lot of maturity to go find it elsewhere and not on his rubbed smooth nickel.

As it is my teacher husband and I would like to move from Bendover into Utah and it looks like that may not happen.  That would make my husband, an experienced teacher here, low man on the totem pole in the school district budgeting hustle in Utah.  They don't care if the man can teach history or English.  They want him to sorta teach it on the least salary possible and since you are a history major of course you'll be spending all your hours coaching a sport.  That is how we ended up in Bendover in the first place ten years ago.  He'd had a half year teaching experience, which translated to a year more on the pay chart, which wasn't in the budget unless he could lead the football or basketball team to a state championship despite his 4.0 average in college and gleaming student teacher reviews.

Becky

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-27

YesIAmAPyr:

Sure.

Do it.

Hopefully this raving, conservative wing-nut will be called on an lds mission - soon!  tommy, boyd, he's a natural fit!  In the short term, this guy is bent on balancing Utah's budget shortfall on the backs of school age children here in zion, where the pure in heart dwell/republican fanatics like chris get elected again/again to the Utah State Legislature!  His rather public anti 12th grade position/school bus abolitionist rhetoric are pure/simple - screw loose! 

I say, get this crazed mormon outta here!  I'm tired of embarrassing story after embarrassing story that reaffirms his nonexistent intellectual capacity!  It's quite clear that the kingdom of absurdity/lies could use a guy with his conservative mormon interpersonal skills, driven by reactionary, conservative bias/unyielding testimony of joe smith jr./his kingdom of absurdity/lies! 

Chris you've been called to a great work in the kingdom!  Your presence in the mission field will birth a new alliance of lds church/republican party politics for those who believe there is no distinction - that should include just about everyone!  You are the lds church/republican party nicely packaged together - the complete moron!  I have a warm fuzzy about this!  Realize your inspired destiny!  Beg for your call/ save us from anymore of your conservative, fringe lunacy/asinine behavior!  victim      

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

Buttars is just jealous.  Joseph Smith dinn't have no book learnin' and he got his pick of all the females. 

The LDS leaders can't possibly agree with this.  How will they grow the next generation of tithe payers this way?  They need more Huntsman types pitching in 10%.  The only growth they see is in 2nd and 3rd world countries which is great for the stats but not a money maker.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-23

Absent Minded Housewife:
The difference between being 17 and a junior and being 18 and a senior was HUGE for me.  Buttars wants kids who are still maybe trying to find direction without a whole lot of maturity to go find it elsewhere and not on his rubbed smooth nickel.

Just think, all those RMs at BYU will have their pick of 17 yr old freshman.    They'll be able to mold them into their perfect eternal companions.   They'll go from teenagers to mothers quicker than you can say "bow your head and say "yes"....and the TBM circle of life goes on....

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-12

ClearThoughts:
Absent Minded Housewife:
The difference between being 17 and a junior and being 18 and a senior was HUGE for me.  Buttars wants kids who are still maybe trying to find direction without a whole lot of maturity to go find it elsewhere and not on his rubbed smooth nickel.

Just think, all those RMs at BYU will have their pick of 17 yr old freshman.    They'll be able to mold them into their perfect eternal companions.   They'll go from teenagers to mothers quicker than you can say "bow your head and say "yes"....and the TBM circle of life goes on....

-- and that's pretty fast.  Yet another de facto means of putting females at a relative disadvantage in Mormon-inspired culture.

Ever wonder what would happen if the Church admitted even one trained psychologist or philosopher or political scientist to the Big 15? 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-26

DrW:
ClearThoughts:
Absent Minded Housewife:

-- and that's pretty fast.  Yet another de facto means of putting females at a relative disadvantage in Mormon-inspired culture.

Ever wonder what would happen if the Church admitted even one trained psychologist or philosopher or political scientist to the Big 15? 

I'm thinking of Mengele - a doctor at Auschwitz....

Signature 

You can resign from PostMormon but they’ll always count you in their membership numbers.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-23

Blue Skies:
DrW:
ClearThoughts:
Absent Minded Housewife:

I'm thinking of Mengele - a doctor at Auschwitz....

That's what I was thinking.  His knowledge wouldn't be used for the betterment of the herd, just for the betterment of the church corporation.  

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-15

Last year, DH and I almost put our house on the market so that we could move to West Jordan.   We ended up staying put.  But it would have been nice to have the opportunity to try to vote this douche bag out office.  Seriously, I don't know what's wrong with the people who live there.  (No offense to my parents and my best friend.  But seriously...)
 Signature 

Opinions are like assholes.  Everybody has one. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-26

ClearThoughts:
Absent Minded Housewife:

If they eliminated 12th grade in Utah, no Utah student would qualify to be accepted to BYU.    I think Buttars would prefer students to skip college and go straight to work in mines and sweatshops and the like.  BYU is a haven for intellectuals and feminists and all manner of ne'er-do-wells.

Signature 

“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Alice in Wonderland.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-01

Utah Sen. Chris Buttars' Mormon Gulag

Ed Brayton at Dispatches from the Culture Wars points out an account of a 15-year-old kidnapped from his grandmother's house at the request of his parents, and taken to the Utah Boys Ranch, then run by Utah Senator Chris Buttars. Apparently the mind-control treatment didn't take, and he started the Utah Boys Ranch Network to expose the abuse.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
finex

Logged in: 1
Not logged in: 65
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9710
Forever Families
by Lloyd Dobler
An Odd Question