Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Missionary auto insurance vent

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-04

Since this forum is a great place to vent I am here to do so.

Why is it that TSCC requires parents to carry their children, who are serving a mission, on our auto policies?  I can understand medical but AUTO?!!!!  WTF!!!  They have enough to burn 3Billion on a mall and can't be bothered by some auto insurance for those who are in service of the FRAKING CORPORATION!  I didn't even get a call from my son on Father's day ( mom's do get calls though) and THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!.  In fact it was the most dismal Father's Day ever and I owe it to the MIND FRAK the church hexes you with.  Ok getting a bit OT here...breathe....breathe...breathe...OK.

Does anyone know why The Morg does this?  Why do they not put their missionaries on some global policy?  My work covers me and they don't even make a tiny fraction of what The Morg makes.  Somebody please help me understand this.  

Also OT -  Can I please change my alias?  I REALLY want LDS out of my name.  (kill me now)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-05

First of all you need to swear properly.  It like this.  F$CK!

Next, nothing in the church makes sense.  They don't pay auto because those sweet young horny 19 year old boys are doing the lards work and the parents just bow their heads and say "yes."

I am so sorry that you had a crappy Father's Day.  You deserve more than that.  Missionaries should be able to call their father's on Father's Day.  

Hopefully, you can find some peace with the nightmare called the "LDS Church."  

Finally, come here and vent.  I don't have a son on a mission, I have never been on a mission and I hope that the church dies a horrible, terrible death.

F&CK the church for what it has done to you!

(((HUGS))) 

Signature 

Myths which are believed in tend to become true. George Orwell

The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth.  Pierre Abelard

“The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”  Dumbledore

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-26

ldsohmyheck:

Also OT -  Can I please change my alias?  I REALLY want LDS out of my name.  (kill me now)

Yep - at the top of the screen, go to "My Account"

On the left hand side, under Personal Settings, go to Username and Password

Change your screen name and hit "Update"

I had no idea that parents had to carry their missionary kids auto insurance. What happens when a parent doesn't have their own insurance?? 

Signature 

You can resign from PostMormon but they’ll always count you in their membership numbers.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

Speaking generally, it makes sense, for LD$, inc. to encourage the parents to keep their missionary offspring on the familty policy.  Here, in no particular order of importance, are some of the reasons why:

1. males between 16 & 23 are high risk. Most of you parents remember the horror you felt when your agent told you how much more per six months you were going to pay once Junior got his learners permit.  So if LD$, inc can get you to pay for the missionary, that saves them quite a bit of money.

2.  Maybe LD$, inc could get a 'global' (or at least a US national) policy, but the cost would be pretty high, because besides the obvious foreseeable administration hassles (adding new drivers, deleting existing drivers, getting underwriting reviews on the new drivers and rating them, as in, any kid with a ticket or chargeable accident will cost more than the clean record kids) the 'global' carrier would probably demand that LDS, inc self-insure a certain amount of the liability coverage, just like the normal deductible on first party coverages (Comp & Collision).  I kid you not, it would cost a small fortune, on top of having to add people to LD$, inc's payroll.  

3.  Every time a missionary changed his location, there'd have to be an underwriting review.  There'd be a huge variety of variables involving cars and each location needs it's own rating.  Here in my area the working missionaries are on bikes, but there are areas, I'm told, where they'll have to drive a car.

But here's something that I know pertains to California, and it's probably not alone among the States:  insurance follows the car.  In CA, no registered owner can put a car on the road without liability coverage.  So when Elder Missionary gets into a fender bender on the 101 freeway, the other driver, and the cops, want to see the insurance card for the vehicle.  The cops are going to be a mite upset if the Missionary tries to tell them to use his personal insurance coverage; either the car has coverage, or it's gonna get impounded and the driver issued a citation for driving an uninsured vehicle.  

So it stands to reason that cars being driven by California missionaries are covered by a policy purchased by LD$, inc; the permissive drivers of said vehicles are covered.  In a serious loss, any insurance available to the individual missionary could be 'stacked' on top of the LD$, inc policy, but that would be like asking the Coca Cola truck driver to add his little $15/30 policy to the Coca Cola policy, which for all intents and purposes is limitless.  I imagine a plaintiff attorney who found himself suing a missionary as the agent of LD$, inc would be drooling about how deep LD$, inc's pockets are.

Which brings up this issue:  Where is your son serving his mission and did you specifically receive correspondence asking you to keep him on your policy?  You could save some serious coin by deleting him from your policy for the rest of his mission.  What's the worst that could happen, that he's always ridding shotgun?

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-04

I just can't bring myself to curse like that in public (after all, it's the mother of all curse words).  I'm a big fan of BSG and got hooked on their use of frak.  That doesn't mean I haven't used F$CK elsewhere though.  Doh!  Thanks for the hugs FindingPeace.  right back atchya.           ....still quite pissed at the mother frakin church though!  TMFC - should be added to the glossary.  

Yeah!  I am now Stumpjumper.  Much better.  :)

Elder - thanks for the response.  That was very helpful and insightful.  I don't really understand the intricacies of evil insurance companies.  I would also think LD$ would have their own company altogether.  They've got their hands in everything else.    I would love to take him off my policy but my TBM wife would have a fit.  Her having fits is no stranger to me over the past few years but it would just be another nail in the coffin before I've tried all other resources to save our marriage.  ...another rant some other time.  I shall nonetheless investigate taking him off the list under...under her radar.  Anyway, my son is in OK right now.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-07

Yeah, You gotta love the missionary medical too.  I used it twice and found out later that the "Medical Insurance" is really the church pays up front and then sends a bill to your parents for the total cost.

Signature 

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-19

unfrickin-real.

I didn't know they did that.  Of course my mish wan in Mexico where it cost 80 bucks a month to live when my parents paid the regular price...  The asshats didnt give us enough to buy our own food or even razors.  By the end of my mission I had used 500 dollars of my own money just to get by.  I remember that being a situation I was really pissed about back then.  Because the mission pres would take zone leaders to eat at places like chillis, that in the tourist districts cost as much per meal as we were receivng per month.

I hate the cheap ass church.

Signature 

Cogito Ergo Sum = “I think, therefore I am.” (Descartes) The latin word “Cogito” is also a play on words. Co=together, Gito=shake….a second meaning of the phrase is, “I shake things up, therefore I am.” (Greary.)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-18

Stumpjumper,       It's true that almost all states in the US require that the car be insured, and not the driver.  So, LDS, Inc. must have and does have auto insurance on all of their cars.  Whomever told you to keep your kid on the car insurance is mistaken.   I had 4 missionaries, and they tried that crap on me too.   I asked the mission president assistant for a written explanation as to why I needed to continue to carry my kid on my auto insurance, and the subject was dropped.

But, do continue to carry your kid on your health insurance, as the church really does not insure them.   They just send you the bill.   Your health insurance will really scream and holler if your kid is outside of the country,  but they will generally cover them anyway. 

So, call the mp assistants and ask them for written proof, or a written explanation as to why you need to continue to carry your kid on your auto insurance policy, and it will all go away, even your DW's objections.

WW

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-04

Not Even - Awesome!  Amazing what a gentle prodding will do.  I called the MO and spoke to the MPs wife.  She said it was absolutely not needed to carry him on my policy and I should take him off.  Simple as that.  That saves me $960/year right there!  Whoohooo!  I think I may just put the savings away for his college though.  Not that it'll help much but it's something.

Next up - confronting the wife about it.  Hopefully I can just tell her to call the MO herself without her flipping out.  Sigh.

Cheers 

‹‹ Joseph Smith and prophecy      Utah Invasion ››

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Bonneville2003
Kori
Tincan

Logged in: 3
Not logged in: 82
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)