FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

I need help finding a quote!!!

RankRank
Joined  2009-12-19

Howdy fellow Post-Mormon posters! I've been looking for a specific quote but have been unable to find it. I have been told by several people that Heber J. Grant, who served on a mission to Japan around the beginning of the 20th century, called Japanese "the Devil's language." I am trying to find the source of this quote, but haven't had any success yet. (I do know that Francis Xavier said the same thing several centuries before.)

So... anyone here know where I might find a source for this? 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-24

lol - I was going to refer you to our resident expert on Japanese-Morg relations - The Truth Hurts. Then I realized who'd posted.
 Signature 

Above the Waves
by The Jealous Sound

RankRank
Joined  2009-12-19

Cloudbusting:
lol - I was going to refer you to our resident expert on Japanese-Morg relations - The Truth Hurts. Then I realized who'd posted.

Doh! lol 

The people who have told me this have all been at least in their 50s... older businessmen TBMs in Tokyo when I was serving my mission there, and then elder couple missionaries from America elsewhere around the country later. I assume that such a quote exists somewhere, but I have no clue where these people actually read it. I searched for quite a while but was unable to come up with anything, and was wondering if some of the people here who were around in TSCC for a long time might know. There is a lot of evidence showing that Grant struggled with the language (as I mention in my article about Groberg), but I have been unable to find this one quote. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-24

Google tells me that quote is actually attributed to a 16th century Jesuit missionary.....though that doesn't mean Grant didn't quote or steal that idea at some point.
 Signature 

sig.jpg

RankRank
Joined  2009-12-19

Porthos:
Google tells me that quote is actually attributed to a 16th century Jesuit missionary.....though that doesn't mean Grant didn't quote or steal that idea at some point.

Yeah, that's Francis Xavier; he led the first Christian mission to Japan. I also assumed the same thing: Either Grant restated what Xavier had originally said, or he said the same thing without knowing what Xavier had originally said. Either way, I have heard the quote attributed to Grant as well by multiple TBMs. As I am still in my 20s, and all the people who told me this were at least in their 50s, my guess is that it was in an older church publication or something that was before my time.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-24

The Truth Hurts:
Porthos:

Yeah, that's Francis Xavier; he led the first Christian mission to Japan. I also assumed the same thing: Either Grant restated what Xavier had originally said, or he said the same thing without knowing what Xavier had originally said. Either way, I have heard the quote attributed to Grant as well by multiple TBMs. As I am still in my 20s, and all the people who told me this were at least in their 50s, my guess is that it was in an older church publication or something that was before my time.

It's also potentially an urban legend with the Xavier quote simply being attributed to Grant.  The fact that so many people recognize the story, but no one knows where it came from are characteristics of urban legend.

Even if the quote isn't really by Grant, the fact that the myth has been perpetuated (especially among the over-50 crowd) indicates to me that there IS an underlying prejudice among members of the church.  I doubt people finish that story by saying, "Can you BELIEVE how ignorant President Grant was?!"

Signature 

Above the Waves
by The Jealous Sound

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-24

The Truth Hurts:
Porthos:

Ahh yeah. Help if I read the original post in entirety instead of skimming, sorry.

Signature 

sig.jpg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-28

The Truth Hurts:

Howdy fellow Post-Mormon posters! I've been looking for a specific quote but have been unable to find it. I have been told by several people that Heber J. Grant, who served on a mission to Japan around the beginning of the 20th century, called Japanese "the Devil's language." I am trying to find the source of this quote, but haven't had any success yet. (I do know that Francis Xavier said the same thing several centuries before.)

So... anyone here know where I might find a source for this? 

[   ]  This may be the source you are looking for.

On page 187 of his best selling book, EVEN MORE CRAP THAT I JUST MADE UP BUT YOU MORONS CONTINUE TO BUY IT, SO WHY NOT? , Paul H. Dunn states:

"It is well known that the Japanese people enjoy the dessert known as Devil's Food Cake.  Such reverence to this dessert and its inventor (Satan) has caused the Japanese language to become cursed and is widely known among the Brethren as 'the Devil's language.'  While on a mission to Japan, young Elder Heber J. Grant, who would one day become the President of the Church, was attacked by a group of Japanese thugs and later 'dusted his feet' with confectioner's sugar.  The Japanese language has been cursed ever since."

Signature 

“I must remind you that I am a civilized man.  With occasional lapses.”

—King Arthur (Camelot)

“I am not a radical but I think radicals are necessary to society.”

“Women fall for me all the time ... because I trip them.” —Jack

“Well, that’s my .02 cents and believe me, it’s worth every penny.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-22

jackfitzzzzz:

"It is well known that the Japanese people enjoy the dessert known as Devil's Food Cake.  Such reverence to this dessert and its inventor (Satan) has caused the Japanese language to become cursed and is widely known among the Brethren as 'the Devil's language.'  While on a mission to Japan, young Elder Heber J. Grant, who would one day become the President of the Church, was attacked by a group of Japanese thugs and later 'dusted his feet' with confectioner's sugar.  The Japanese language has been cursed ever since."

We all know that confectioners sugar is white and delightsome. That is a perfect things to dust one's feet with in a situation like this. It would be inappropriate to dust ones feet with turbinado sugar in a situation such as this as it is brown like unto an Asian's skin. And we know that only the Laird likes things that are white and delightsome.

Signature 

Savor the wine of life and wield the sword of truth. Sum Ergo cogito. Berucha at Asherah. Reverend William Wilson in Arizona
https://sites.google.com/site/gwylym/home http://gwylym.blogspot.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-28

This is the closest that I could find to the quote you were looking for:

Leaders of the church have remarked that the Japanese “are a wonderful people”1 since the turn of the century when Grant was residing in the country. However, these are generalizing remarks that church leaders frequently make about groups of individuals, and should not be taken at face value. Similar remarks were made by Francis Xavier - a Roman Catholic who lived during the 16th century and was the original propagator of Christianity to Japan. However, Xavier also wrote in a letter to the headquarters of his Jesuit order in Europe that the Japanese language was invented by Satan in order to prevent the gospel from taking root in the country. As a result, Japanese is often misunderstood as “the Devil’s language.”

Unfortunately, these misconceptions were shared by those in Grant’s party, who believed in the “gift of tongues” and the “interpretation of tongues.”2 Indeed, much like Xavier, the first Mormon missionaries to Japan also felt that Japanese was a “dreadful language.3 Grant, who was known for his unyielding persistence,4 was unable to learn the language despite his best efforts (and faith in the gift of tongues).

It was found at this link:

http://elderkikuchi.blogspot.com/2010/05/heading-another-heading-row-1-cell-1.html

Maybe that is where the myth comes from.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-23

RedJacket:

Leaders of the church have remarked that the Japanese “are a wonderful people”1 since the turn of the century when Grant was residing in the country. However, these are generalizing remarks that church leaders frequently make about groups of individuals, and should not be taken at face value. Similar remarks were made by Francis Xavier - a Roman Catholic who lived during the 16th century and was the original propagator of Christianity to Japan. However, Xavier also wrote in a letter to the headquarters of his Jesuit order in Europe that the Japanese language was invented by Satan in order to prevent the gospel from taking root in the country. As a result, Japanese is often misunderstood as “the Devil’s language.”

Unfortunately, these misconceptions were shared by those in Grant’s party, who believed in the “gift of tongues” and the “interpretation of tongues.”2 Indeed, much like Xavier, the first Mormon missionaries to Japan also felt that Japanese was a “dreadful language.3 Grant, who was known for his unyielding persistence,4 was unable to learn the language despite his best efforts (and faith in the gift of tongues).

http://elderkikuchi.blogspot.com/2010/05/heading-another-heading-row-1-cell-1.html

Isn't that a link to The Truth Hurts's own blog?

Signature 

Bipolar Express - We believe in being honest, true, chased by an elephant…

“Uprise, unite, and form numbers.  Realize that dream and stop hunger.” - Carlos Cornia

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-28

Bipolar Express:
RedJacket:

Isn't that a link to The Truth Hurts's own blog?

Yeh it is, now I feel stupid Seems like the Truth hurts really is the authority on this. Meaning if he has questions he should just refer back to himself.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-24

this is the best research thread ever.
 Signature 

Above the Waves
by The Jealous Sound

RankRank
Joined  2009-12-19

Thanks for the replies, you all. Although that is my blog, RedJacket, you are right on target of what I am looking for. While I was able to find a quote in a Japanese book published by TSCC in 2002 about their history in the land of the rising sun which quotes the first missionaries to Japan calling Japanese a "dreadful language," I really wanted to put the quote on my article about Delbert H. Groberg where Grant directly calls it "the Devil's language" like Xavier did.

The thing is, I don't think that most foreigners who serve TSCC / work in Japan know who Xavier was or that he originally called Japanese "the Devil's language," so for them to say that Grant called it that it really makes me think they read it somewhere in an old church manual or something.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Curious NeverMo
Hiker Daddy
nessid

Logged in: 3
Not logged in: 98
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9736
Great Article About Cult Life