September '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
Annual ExMormon Sacramento Party
[San Francisco Bay...]
Let’s go tubing!
[Palmetto Post-Mor...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

1 of 2
Resources for Those Investigating All Things LDS

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

*I propose making this thread either a sticky or available from a drop-down menu*

[Moderator insertion: I made this thread sticky for now. Maybe we'll do something more permanent later because we're getting a lot of sticky threads. -- Jeff Ricks]

"For there are many yet on the earth among [Mormonism]...who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it"
-D&C 123:12 (adapted from the original)

The following is a list of sites that are useful in helping the reader learn more about all things Mormon, everything from the Kinderhook plates to the Hoffman cover-up to the most recent happenings in the Church:

Search Engine

Scholarly Mormon Resources - Find original sources and scholarly articles fast about Mormonism. Includes information from both apologetic and critical websites.

Informative Websites (not an exhaustive list by any means)

Critical

Utah Lighthouse Ministries Topical Guide

LDS-Mormon Articles

Zarahemla City Limits

Deconstructor's Rethinking Mormonism

20 Truths About Mormonism

Recovery From Mormonism Articles

Reason

Why Mormons

Real Mormon History

Mormon Classics Library

Mormonthink

Dr. Shades Mormon Information

Joseph Lied

Grape Nephi's Problems with LDS Teachings

Richard Packham's Site

Apologetic

FAIR LDS Topical Guide

Maxwell Institute

Shields

Jeff Lindsey's site

Ask Gramps

Blog Aggregators and Select Blogs

Outer Lightness - for DAMU (Disaffected Mormon Underground) blogs

Mormon Archipelago - for TBM blogs

Equality Time

Bob McCue's Website

MormonStories

Mormon Curtain

Discussion Forums

Mormon discussions

Mormon Think Tank

Ex-Mormon forums

Mormon Apologetic and Discussion Board

Recovery From Mormonism board

Further Light & Knowledge

New Order Mormons

Signature 

“Convictions are the more dangerous enemy of truth than lies.” - Nietzsche

http://entreated.blogspot.com/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

Feedback? Useful?
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

Yes, like it. And I think you got all the biggies. I propose a third category after Critical and Apologetic.

Comedy
The Salamander Society

Signature 

In a way all of us have an El Guapo to face someday.
http://digitalplates.blogspot.com/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-22

I am bringing up this thread as it has a lot of good resources for our newest members and lurkers.

I didn't see it in the Scrapbook. I think it would be a good addition to the library. Is it located anyplace besides just a thread? 

Thank you Hueffenhardt for all your effort in gathering this information!

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-18

Crazy Cat Lady:

I am bringing up this thread as it has a lot of good resources for our newest members and lurkers.

I didn't see it in the Scrapbook. I think it would be a good addition to the library. Is it located anyplace besides just a thread? 

Thank you Hueffenhardt for all your effort in gathering this information!

Thanks for bringing it up CCL. I'll put my two cents in and second the notion.
 Signature 

All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth comes only from the senses.
~Friedrich Nietzsche (1886)

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-13

I think this should have a place in our library.  Perhaps Jeff could take a look and put it out for comment.  Bear
 Signature 

Extraordinary events require extraordinary evidence!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

I think it is time to bump this thread.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-10

Hueffenhardt, you are a virtual goldmine of information.  Thank you for bumping these posts for us.  

Pali Mama 

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-02

Thanks, Huff. Great list.  There are so many more resources available now than even just two years ago. I think lists like this one are very helpful to those who are first starting out in their deeper investigation of all things Mormon.  The links here (and the links found on all the sites listed here) will provide endless hours of information.  It really is amazing to have all this work that took many people literally years to assemble, right here at our fingertips. 
 Signature 

“We have always been taught that when the brethren were in a tight place that it would not be amiss to lie to help them out.”—LDS Apostle Mathias Cowley.

www.equalitysblog.typepad.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Yes, yes, I would like to see this as a sticky or somewhere for easy access, not just for me but new members or lurkers, so much helpful info.
 Signature 

“It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.”  (Bhagavad Gita via eat, pray, love)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-11

Fantastic resources Hueffenhardt.

My particular interest was always in how Mormons think and how they think about what they think and describe how they think, but on a more meaty level than you'd get from your average Joe Ward Member.

I'm sure you know these blogs (from the Archipelago) but I thought that if anyone doesn't and is interested in intelligent Mormon blogs where they really tuck into the nitty gritty then I'd add them here. So if that's anyone's particular interest as well, these TBM blogs are worth a glance.

Times and Seasons

Mormon Metaphysics

New Cool Thang

Times and Seasons is especially worth a glance, if not least because it will leave you gob-smacked at the smugness and sophistry, yet these are highly intelligent and articulate folk.

Signature 

Realities wear each other as disguises.

- Thomas Mann

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

bamboom:

Times and Seasons is especially worth a glance, if not least because it will leave you gob-smacked at the smugness and sophistry, yet these are highly intelligent and articulate folk.

Those Times and Seasons folks drive me crazy. Honestly, after participating on that forum for a few months I had to acknowledge that the religion really wasn't working out for me personally. They talk like intellectuals but, frankly, their brand of intellectualism is in finding how many different ways they can arrive at the same conclusions.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-11

Timber:
bamboom:

Those Times and Seasons folks drive me crazy. Honestly, after participating on that forum for a few months I had to acknowledge that the religion really wasn't working out for me personally. They talk like intellectuals but, frankly, their brand of intellectualism is in finding how many different ways they can arrive at the same conclusions.

Yep, you sum it up precisely. There's a charade of enquiry, but there's not a genuine enquiry happening, not on any important levels. The vast effort put into the smoke and mirrors is, however, staggering.

I'd give you a more detailed version of my opinion of the T&S gang, but I don't want Postmormon.org to get sued for defamation and slander.

Signature 

Realities wear each other as disguises.

- Thomas Mann

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

bamboom:

I'd give you a more detailed version of my opinion of the T&S gang, but I don't want Postmormon.org to get sued for defamation and slander.

Feel free to PM me.

Rank
Joined  2008-02-19

I suggest adding Images of the Restoration.  I don't know exactly how to classify it (look at the "About" page in the header menu), but it approaches Mormon history from a visual art perspective.

-JV 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

That is great, Juggler! Thanks for pointing it out to me.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-10

lots of good sites. adding a timeline if J. Smiths polygamy

http://www.i4m.com/think/polygamy/polygamy-timeline.htm

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-25

oooo. Can it be a sticky? I remember this thread, and it was very, very helpful to me.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-07-18

This is a wonderful list for anyone questioning the LDS church and Joe Smith! Thanks for putting it on one topic.

Signature 

The David Hume ‘Wreaking Ball’ can be an invaluable tool for tearing down beliefs and then building back up things that one can prove to be true.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-07

Huff,

Is Bob Mc Cue's site there?

Daryl 

Signature 

Our life is the creation of our minds, and we do much of that creating in metaphor…. With the wrong metaphor we are deluded; with no metaphor we are blind. ’ Jonathan Haidt

and I am responsible for the metaphors that populate my mind.’ Daryl

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

Born Free:

Huff,

Is Bob Mc Cue's site there?

Daryl 

It wasn't, but it is now.

Signature 

RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-01

The Reason link is not working.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

Bump for newbies

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-26

Can we please "float" this?

It's worth it.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

I've been on this site for a while now and never saw this thread! It's a must see for everyone!! Thanks for posting all this useful info in one place.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

Yeah, what are the chances of getting this (or something like it) attached to the top of the forum, so more people will have access to valuable links? Anyone with me?
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

"Zarahemla City Limits"....none of their inner links work...all the essays are gone.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

Hueffenhardt:

*I propose making this thread either a sticky or available from a drop-down menu*

"For there are many yet on the earth among [Mormonism]...who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it"

The following is a list of sites that are useful in helping the reader learn more about all things Mormon, everything from the Kinderhook plates to the Hoffman cover-up to the most recent happenings in the Church:

Thank you for this wealth of information, Hueffenhardt.

I wish that we could also add sources from never-mo's; scientists etc... to this list.

2late

Signature 

No amount of sizzle will make a bad steak good

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

latesue:
Hueffenhardt:

I wish that we could also add sources from never-mo's; scientists etc... to this list.

2late

Here is a small start from a Never-Mo source:

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.

Great book, I am reading it now! Beware; you may become an athiest, or at least lean that way after reading...

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

byualum:

Great book, I am reading it now! Beware; you may become an athiest, or at least lean that way after reading...

YES! This book is incredible, I'm listening to it right now. Richard Dawkins is a genius.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

searcher:
byualum:

YES! This book is incredible, I'm listening to it right now. Richard Dawkins is a genius.

Yes, it is! And yes, he is! And, btw, I love your avatar. 1984 is my favorite book, and got me started on my jounrey to truth. 

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

We are lucky to have what we do have on the Zarahemla City Limits website, as it was taken down for a while. Long story, but they are in the process of restoring the site to its former glory.

Just so you guys know I have been working on a special project for Post-Mo for almost a year now that will be a great aid to researching all things about Mormonism (for, against, and original sources). Hectic life took me away from working on the project for a while, but I have renewed my efforts and should have at least the groundwork of it set up and available after the holidays. 

Edit: Two years ago, right after my wife and I left the church and I became atheist and she agnostic, we were able to attend a presentation by Richard Dawkins on "The God Delusion" at my university. It was great for us, newly non-theists as we were, to attend a lecture with a couple thousand of like minded individuals. It was kind of like a revival for atheists.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

byualum:
latesue:
Hueffenhardt:

2late

Already leaning.....Even though I promised myself I would not become "one of those people who leave Mormonism and then leave God".

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I love your avatar

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

byualum:
searcher:
byualum:

Yes, it is! And yes, he is! And, btw, I love your avatar. 1984 is my favorite book, and got me started on my jounrey to truth. 

Wow, are we twins or something? 1984 started me out of the church as well. Seems like you are just reading my posts and copycating me. Either that or we are twins separated at birth. 

EDIT- I just got all detective like and checked your profile. You were born in the same year I was. I feel like I should take you out, highlander-style. 

There can be only one...

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-26

Need Mod to Float!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

A few of our new visitors might be interested in learning some more about the real history of Mormonism.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-23

When I first announced to my wife that I no longer believed, she wanted to know why.  As in everyone's case, it is a variety of things.  However, I needed something that would hit home with her.  I knew from everything that I had read that there were similarities between the Mormon temple ceremony and Masonry.  I told Claire that Joseph had borrowed from them, and so I did a google search for "masonry handshakes."  The very first site that it brought up illuminated us - I had no idea how much the similarities were.

http://www.ephesians5-11.org/handshakes.htm

This is not an antimormon site.  Just one about Masonry.   It was easy for us to draw conclusions.

handshake

sign

the veil

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-31

A really great book is "In Sacred Loneliness" by Todd Compton. Well researched histories of 33 wives of Joseph Smith.

Signature 

19th wife of Zelph

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

Glad to see this as a "sticky" topic now. Great resources here!
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

Carter:

When I first announced to my wife that I no longer believed, she wanted to know why.  As in everyone's case, it is a variety of things.  However, I needed something that would hit home with her.  I knew from everything that I had read that there were similarities between the Mormon temple ceremony and Masonry.  I told Claire that Joseph had borrowed from them, and so I did a google search for "masonry handshakes."  The very first site that it brought up illuminated us - I had no idea how much the similarities were.

http://www.ephesians5-11.org/handshakes.htm

This is not an antimormon site.  Just one about Masonry.   It was easy for us to draw conclusions.

handshake

sign

the veil

Great pics. I just saw this today as I was doing research on the Masons. I also saw another pic of the execution of the death penalty which the church took out some years ago.

About that. How can the apologists say that JS  got this corrupted form of the temple ceremony from the Masons and  restored it (through revelation)to the *original* ceremony and THEN, years later; church takes out parts of that  "original" ceremony that JS restored(including symbolic throat slashing and disembowelment signs, (etc..etc... ) and STILL says it was restored by revelation.

God needs to be a better communicator--especially since those temple workers are so adamant you get everything perfect when you're doing it.

2late

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

This is one of the most absolutely awesome links I've ever found on the Book of Abraham (from a Sunstone Mormon.)

Has anyone ever posted this or read it?  

http://www.lds-mormon.com/thompson_book_of_abraham.shtml#author

Signature 

1 of 2

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
finex
paperclip
Troubled Wife

Logged in: 3