October '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
September '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
Annual ExMormon Sacramento Party
[San Francisco Bay...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

I used to be a big BYU football fan…

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-05

now that the season is getting underway, I am just looking forward to any game where their opponent just pummels them. I know that being in the MWC there are only a couple of teams that could really have a chance of doing that, so I will be looking forward to maybe 4 games this year (today, Florida St., TCU, and Utah).

Are there any of you like me out there? Used to really love BYU, but now hopes they get destroyed everytime?

Just curious

Signature 

House of Faith House of Cards: One Man’s Journey through the World of Mormonism, Magic, and Murderers
Eric N. Davis

Available in paperback, hardcover, and E-book at:
http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=68109

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-05

Yes.  You took the words right out of my mouth.  When I talk to my TBM family (every last one of them) love BYU and BYU can do no wrong.  Every time a flag is called against a BYU player, the ref is 'Anti', every time a flag wasn't called against the opposition (whether deserved or not), the ref is 'Anti'.  It is pathetic.  A few years ago, I gave up and began to root for the University of Utah.  I haven't looked back.  They have a quality program with depth in both players and coaches.

Dufreyne 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-28

My first year at BYU was a dismal season for BYU football, with the only bright spot being linebacker Craig Bozich.  Coach Tommy Hudspeth was an ongoing disaster and BYU got rid of him while I was on a mission.  Still, I was a true-blue fan.  That has changed over the past few years, and I feel just like you do--I root for any team playing BYU. 

I have nothing against the BYU players, I just cringe when the MORG uses success in football to promote their cult to unsuspecting athletic supporters.  Football has no direct correlation to missionary conversions--let Mormon dogma live or die on its own merits!  It is nonsensical to equate success on the field with the correctness of any particular religious doctrine.

Signature 

The Church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little by way of example.
    —Mark Twain in A Tramp Abroad

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-03

How many of the past quarterbacks for BYU are no longer TBM and how many ever were?  Saw the half-time bit today and just wondered.

Mark

RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-23

I am one of those who has always wanted BYU to get crushed. They have the worst fans of any college team IMHO. Poor winners and poor losers.

Of course, I never did got to BYU so I've been an "anti" about BYU football for most of my live.

I will admit they have been entertaining to watch over the years, but I've always secretly prayed  for them to lose.

Signature 

“Religion is just a community of people who gather together on a regular basis to reassure each other that it’s okay to continue believing in absurdities.”
Carl Sagan

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-09

I checked into the MTC in late September of 1991. My beloved Toronto Blue Jays were in the thick of a pennant race with the Boston Red Sox. No radio, no TV, no newspapers - what's a fan to do?

I asked not one, but several of my teachers what was going on in the race and subsequent playoffs and recieved a variation of the same rebuke:

"KEEP YOUR MIND CENTERED ON YOUR MISSION!!"

Meanwhile, an up-to-the-minute score of the BYU football games was kept on a big white board outside the MTC cafeteria and a game synopsis was provided by the same MTC instructors the next morning.

Hated BYU football ever since.

Signature 

“Now Korihor said unto him: I do not deny the existence of a God, but I do not believe that there is a God; and I also say, that ye do not know that there is a God” (Alma 30:48)

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-10

When I was in high school/junior high, I was a big BYU fan. I loved Steve Sarkisian. Oh, times have changed. I can't stand them. I was really rooting for UW yesterday, so much for that!

However, my SO and I are Ute fans (as well as Idaho Vandal fans).  We have season tickets to the Utes, which is pretty damn fun. The atmosphere at RES is a lot more fun than at LES. Tailgating is where it's at. College football and tailgating go hand in hand! While on Trax after the Pitt/Utah game, some Pitt fans mentioned the trip they took down to Provo to check out the BYU campus. They said the people there were snooty and not very welcoming. However, they raved about the Ute fans. Ha! 

I can't stand a lot of the BYU fans. They are the most victimized, whiniest fan base in the country.  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-11

My family was always big on BYU football, so I found myself cheering for them growing up.

I've even moderately supported them over the last few years since my exodus from the church.

Up until now.

With Utah and BYU leaving the MWC, I'm a bit put off toward both schools.

I enjoyed the conference play between them and TCU, and I was stoked as hell to see Boise State joining. I thought for sure the MWC would have enough power to do some serious bcs-ball-busting, but with the U and the Y out... meh. I don't care anymore.

I hope BYU struggles to find quality opponents as independents -and that they get crushed, repeatedly.

I also completely agree with NorthIdahoVandal's remarks about BYU fans, but would spread that to Jazz fans and Utah fans (to some extent) as well. Mormon culture is so wrapped up in their martyr complex that it polutes even their enjoyment of sports. It's sick.

Signature 

Nec mortem effugere quisquam nec amorem potest

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-18

For the second year in a row my wife and I have all-sports passes to BYU.  Walking into the game yesterday was a hard time for me.  I was dressed in regular clothes and not a walking billboard for BYU.  Also the fact that I'm looking at tens of thousands fo people that I think are religious buffoons doesn't help.  Once again it will take some time for me to adjust.

For me though it is difficult due to the fact that I grew up across the street from Lavell.  He was my priest quorum advisor and Kyle Whittingham and his wife Jaime were in the same ward, and we graduated from high school together.  I love to see the Utes win.  I want Kyle to have every success that he can.  Although I have known Lavell since I was 9, I hate the way BYU thinks that football somehow proves the truthfulness of the gospel.  I know for a fact Lavell doesn't think that way.  BYU is just like the Soviet Union used to be.  The Soviet's put tons of money into athletics trying to prove to the world that great athletics proves a great political system.  Caca!  It proves you have a good sports team and nothing else.

What really galled me about yesterday's game (aside from being in direct sunlight for most of the time) was when they introduced jeff holland at half time.  A wave of excitement went through the crowd and I saw many people give each other that, "wow, jeff is here, my testimony of the bom is so much stronger now" kind of look.  I wanted to gag.  I don't want to divert this thread but why can't BYU ever just be a school and not always trying to prove something to everybody?

Signature 

After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.

Friedrich Nietzsche

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-10

I am a big Jazz fan too, and some of the fans ruin it for me. I still go to the games though... As for Utah leaving the conference, anyone would have done the same thing if a BCS conference called. It's going to be good for the school. As for BYU going independent, I kind of don't blame them in a way. The TV deal is not good for them, as it wasn't for Utah. Utah was playing the #15th ranked team in the country and the game is on Verses for goodness sakes. However, independence will be interesting. As for Boise State, I can't stand them. Not the team, but the administrators and a big part of the fan base. They are victims just like BYU fans. I was kind of hoping BYU would stay and we could see the battle for the most annoying fan base in the country. I'm sure I'll get reamed for hating on BSU here. I admire their accomplishments, but think their university president should stick to leading the university, rather than play athletic director all the time.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

I still cheer for BYU football. No explanation, it's just always been my team.
 Signature 

In a way all of us have an El Guapo to face someday.
http://digitalplates.blogspot.com/

RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-11

Early in my PostMo journey I thought I could keep the church and BYU football separate. As an Alum and general college football fan I wanted to continue to enjoy what is typically an entertaining offense. 

But each year it just gets more and more intolerable, and now I just want them to fail miserably so they stop claiming football success as some sort of evidence of spritual superiority.  I can't stand how their press package to the national announcers is always about missions and marriage and kids and honor code.  And going independent next year is just the frosting on the arrogance cake.  BYU, others really don't think you're as special as you think you are!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

I think it is funny how much BYU invests into the football program. Bringing in non-LDS players to represent the school, building the big indoor practice facility, etc.

BYU football is definitely a priority for the church and members.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-06

Robby Sunshine:

I checked into the MTC in late September of 1991. My beloved Toronto Blue Jays were in the thick of a pennant race with the Boston Red Sox. No radio, no TV, no newspapers - what's a fan to do?

I asked not one, but several of my teachers what was going on in the race and subsequent playoffs and recieved a variation of the same rebuke:

Meanwhile, an up-to-the-minute score of the BYU football games was kept on a big white board outside the MTC cafeteria and a game synopsis was provided by the same MTC instructors the next morning.

Ahh...the '91 Jays...Alomar, Gruber, Mulliniks & Moooookie....better than BYU FB anyday....are you from the Toronto area Mr. Sunshine?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-09

Maggie:
Robby Sunshine:

Ahh...the '91 Jays...Alomar, Gruber, Mulliniks & Moooookie....better than BYU FB anyday....are you from the Toronto area Mr. Sunshine?

I'm from Alberta, but I've loved the Jays since I was old enough to care (Canada's team and all).

I listened to them clinch the '92 World Series on my companions bootleg AM radio (luckly I wasn't with a hard-line companion at the time). A tad bitter sweet, but hey they won!

I did make it home just in time to catch Carter's home run in 1993 though. WOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signature 

“Now Korihor said unto him: I do not deny the existence of a God, but I do not believe that there is a God; and I also say, that ye do not know that there is a God” (Alma 30:48)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-06

Robby Sunshine:
Maggie:
Robby Sunshine:

I'm from Alberta, but I've loved the Jays since I was old enough to care (Canada's team and all).

I listened to them clinch the '92 World Series on my companions bootleg AM radio (luckly I wasn't with a hard-line companion at the time). A tad bitter sweet, but hey they won!

I did make it home just in time to catch Carter's home run in 1993 though. WOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those were the days!  

RankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-24

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-23

ElGuapo:
I still cheer for BYU football. No explanation, it's just always been my team.

Same here.  I just have a beer or two while watching on TV.

Signature 

Bipolar Express - We believe in being honest, true, chased by an elephant…

“Uprise, unite, and form numbers.  Realize that dream and stop hunger.” - Carlos Cornia

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-23

Maggie:
Robby Sunshine:
Maggie:
Robby Sunshine:

Those were the days!  

Big time Jays fan here, and I'm not even Canadian.  Growing up in Utah there was no hometown team, so I tended to change allegiances based on the players I liked best.  Well, in '87 the Jays became my team (oh, the crushing heartbreak against the Tigers), and I've loved them ever since.  Tony Fernandez was my favorite player, and then it was Robby Alomar after the trade.  When they reacquired Tony in '93, I was in heaven -- best keystone combination ever.

BYU football, Toronto Blue Jays baseball, and Postmormon: three of my favorite things!

Signature 

Bipolar Express - We believe in being honest, true, chased by an elephant…

“Uprise, unite, and form numbers.  Realize that dream and stop hunger.” - Carlos Cornia

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-30

NorthIdahoVandal:
I am a big Jazz fan too, and some of the fans ruin it for me.
It always seemed like a mistake was made when Utah bought the New Orleans Jazz rather than the New Orleans Saints.   Can you imagine the Utah Saints winning the Super Bowl?  That would make the church indisputably true.  No one would care so much about the Lord's BYU football team if Utah were getting great national coverage every Sunday with an NFL team especially if it were the Utah Saints with a logo of Brigham Young hiking a pigskin or even if the Utah Saints kept the current Boy Scout logo the New Orleans Saints currently have since the BSA is Jesus' preisthood program.  Living outside of Utah, no one cares about BYU sports except the local elders quorum that huddle to watch the games in someone's basement when they should be spending precious family time.
 Signature 

“I want you to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that your eyes may be opened, for that is the way Father gained his knowledge.”-Lucifer.

“It is better for us to pass through sorrow that we may know the good from the evil.” -Eve

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-30

Jammerwoch:

I have nothing against the BYU players, I just cringe when the MORG uses success in football to promote their cult to unsuspecting athletic supporters

If you can't be an athlete be an athletic supporter I always say.

Signature 

Once you convince yourself The universe falls into place. You’ve got your ideas And your posse of friends. You all make up rules
And the fun never ends. But still there’s a problem that leaves you gasping for air. You look for some meaning, blank smiles are all that’s there. And still water stales a soft summer breeze. You cling to your hopes while your drop to your knees.

There’s no substance.

-Bad Religion, No Substance

Formerly “Doubting Thomas”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-18

Never was a fan...I'm a Boise State Bronco all the way! smile I've always been up to cheering for BYU to get a pummeling! LOL!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-11

Becky:
Never was a fan...I'm a Boise State Bronco all the way! :) I've always been up to cheering for BYU to get a pummeling! LOL!

Exciting game tonight, for sure. Hopefully they stay strong through the season and bust some bcs bs.

Signature 

Nec mortem effugere quisquam nec amorem potest

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-28

jidduman:

For the second year in a row my wife and I have all-sports passes to BYU.  Walking into the game yesterday was a hard time for me.  I was dressed in regular clothes and not a walking billboard for BYU.  Also the fact that I'm looking at tens of thousands fo people that I think are religious buffoons doesn't help.  Once again it will take some time for me to adjust.

For me though it is difficult due to the fact that I grew up across the street from Lavell.  He was my priest quorum advisor and Kyle Whittingham and his wife Jaime were in the same ward, and we graduated from high school together.  I love to see the Utes win.  I want Kyle to have every success that he can.  Although I have known Lavell since I was 9, I hate the way BYU thinks that football somehow proves the truthfulness of the gospel.  I know for a fact Lavell doesn't think that way.  BYU is just like the Soviet Union used to be.  The Soviet's put tons of money into athletics trying to prove to the world that great athletics proves a great political system.  Caca!  It proves you have a good sports team and nothing else.

What really galled me about yesterday's game (aside from being in direct sunlight for most of the time) was when they introduced jeff holland at half time.  A wave of excitement went through the crowd and I saw many people give each other that, "wow, jeff is here, my testimony of the bom is so much stronger now" kind of look.  I wanted to gag.  I don't want to divert this thread but why can't BYU ever just be a school and not always trying to prove something to everybody?

The answer should be obvious--even Zoobies realize at some level their pretense of spiritual superiority is a load of crap, so dominating in sports is the only tangible evidence of accomplishment they have left.

Signature 

The Church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little by way of example.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-28

exmoinaz:

Early in my PostMo journey I thought I could keep the church and BYU football separate. As an Alum and general college football fan I wanted to continue to enjoy what is typically an entertaining offense. 

But each year it just gets more and more intolerable, and now I just want them to fail miserably so they stop claiming football success as some sort of evidence of spritual superiority.  I can't stand how their press package to the national announcers is always about missions and marriage and kids and honor code.  And going independent next year is just the frosting on the arrogance cake.  BYU, others really don't think you're as special as you think you are!

Amen!

There's some irony here, as BYU honor code enforcers have to look the other way over and over again to avoid suspending their star players.  Regular students don't get these breaks.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-20

I know I'm an odd ball.  Somehow I separate the church from BYU.  Silly, I know.  BYU is the church.  I suppose it is because I graduated from there, it is a part of me, and I knew so many wonderful people there.  I have nothing but good memories of BYU. When I was going there I still made fun of TBM.s.  My memory says there are many merely luke warm people there when it comes to the church.  Many post mo's in the making.  Anyway, I like BYU. TBM.s drive me crazy.  Yes, I'm odd.  I still think the TBM "U" as the worst fans by far.  Hey, its just football. No need for character assasinations just because you are a fan of anything.

So, I'm a fan.  I know much of it is I like being different.  So, I'm quite different in that I am totally irreverent when it comes to TSCC, but still a BYU fan.  Nobody can figure me out.  That is fine by me.  That is the way I like it.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
copostmo
Kori
OldSoul

Logged in: 3
Not logged in: 73
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9710
Forever Families