FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Directions for resigning via email—It worked for me!

Rank
Joined  2010-09-15

I sent an email request for resignation.  It took a little over two months to receive a response.  The response came via snail mail, not through email, even though I have recently moved and I did not provide a snail mail address. Here's what worked for me: (Nolongerin)  

I sent following email to: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Myname is ____________.  My birthdate is __________.  I wasbaptized and confirmed on __________________.  I hereby resign mymembership from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.   Ihereby terminate my consent to be treated as a member of said church and Iwithdraw my consent to submit to the church's beliefs and ecclesiasticaldisciplinary procedures. You must now treat me as a nonmember in all yourdealings with me. From this day forward, I expect that my name will beremoved from all church records, and that I will not be contacted by any churchrepresentatives for any reason, except via email verification of the receipt ofthis resignation. 

Sincerely, 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-23

Ooooh, that's tempting.  Almost too easy.  I think my DH would probably divorce me, but I love the idea that quitting that stupid cult is basically one-click away.  

Welcome to Postmo Nolongerin.  

Signature 

One must live, not just exist. - French proverb

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-11

That's awesome news!  Did anyone from your local ward or stake contact you in the 2 month interim?  Did you receive a confirmation letter by snail mail that you were entering the 30 day waiting period?
 Signature 

I don’t want to ruin the ending for you ...... but it’s all going to be okay.

Rank
Joined  2010-09-15

MishMagnet:
That's awesome news!  Did anyone from your local ward or stake contact you in the 2 month interim?  Did you receive a confirmation letter by snail mail that you were entering the 30 day waiting period?

No personal contact. No waiting period. Not even a guilt statement!  Just a confirmation letter that said that per my request, I am no longer a member, and if I ever decided to change my mind, my local bishop would be happy to help me.  Signed by Mr. Dodge himself. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Wow, maybe Mr. Dodge has suddenly smartened up...and saved himself some hassle.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-02

And his email is???
 Signature 

Rank
Joined  2010-09-15

Rall:
And his email is???

See top of my post, first post.  I put it there already. :)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-07

Nolongerin:

No personal contact. No waiting period. Not even a guilt statement!  Just a confirmation letter that said that per my request, I am no longer a member, and if I ever decided to change my mind, my local bishop would be happy to help me.  Signed by Mr. Dodge himself. 

Did the confirmation letter get mailed to you by snail-post?  I guess that means one would have to supply a physical address for the confirmation.

Signature 

Elohim won’t give amputees back their arms and legs, but he did give Joseph Smith an extra Fanny (Alger).

Watch Gordy testify of Jesus Smith.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-25

Awesome!  I have favorited this thread for the day when I am finally able to resign from TSCC.  (Currently, it would cause too much family drama).

And now, I won't even have to print anything out or spend money on postage.  I love it when things are convenient.

Signature 

“Faith is what you have in things that don’t exist.”
-Homer Simpson

http://postmormonsongs.blogspot.com/
http://purplegoat80.blogspot.com/

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-10

Thanks for posting this. I am ready to resign because the TBM family members have passed away. I know it sounds morbid, but I just didn't want to ruffle feathers in the family. My brother has resigned and he was bothered by some family members after sending the letter in.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-10

I want something physical when I resign. I might frame the letter notifying the acceptance my resignation.
 Signature 

RankRank
Joined  2009-11-04

I just emailed in my resignation! I hope this works!
 Signature 

To find yourself, think for yourself -Socrates

RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-07

I'm keen on building a website to make it easier for people to resign by email. I sent this off to Mr Dodge but haven't got a reply. Do you think I'm wasting my time?

---

There is a lot of call for resigning membership
without having to jump through those procedural hoops you guys have
put in place. I'm planning on building a website that'll let people
resign by email.

It's to both your and the resignee's (is that even a word?) advantage

to make this happen as easily as possible. I'm sure you're aware that
by the time someone decides to resign their membership the last thing
they want is being shunted around by local leaders who as we know
don't always handle this the best way.

What information would you need to enable resignations by email to be

processed quickly and smoothly?

Kind regards

---

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-04

Well, I gave this a shot tonight   My letter of resignation is sent via email and I am really hoping that this works and I can be done with it.  Whew, a weight feels like it has been lifted from my shoulders!  I can't wait until I can honestly say when asked, NO I am NOT a mormon! 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-02

duped_no_more:
Well, I gave this a shot tonight   My letter of resignation is sent via email and I am really hoping that this works and I can be done with it.  Whew, a weight feels like it has been lifted from my shoulders!  I can't wait until I can honestly say when asked, NO I am NOT a mormon! 

Remember you are free when you say you are free. It like your own personal declaration of independence.  The process may not be over on their side but you are out! Congratulations!!!!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-12

I can vouch for faxing. I heard back from Dodge's office within 10 days. The local guys are processing my papers to send back to him now.
 Signature 

“I will seriously consider believing the Book of Mormon is an ancient text if someone actually discovers, in the Americas, an authentically ancient and decipherable Paleo-Hebrew/Egyptian hybrid text, written upon metal, which includes the translational errors contained exclusively in the King James Version of the Sermon on the Mount. Until then, no can do. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”
~Dogger Dog

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-30

duped_no_more:

Kid I got to tell you.....it really is cool.  My darling DH and I resigned together two years ago this coming Spring and it is a beautiful thing be a NON member.

I highly recommend resigning.  

Some people don't think is is necessary, but for some of us it is.

We felt like we took back our personal power.

Good Luck! 

Signature 

MY CLAIM TO FAME: I GOT BANNED FROM A BIGFOOT FORUM. ~me

“....Nineteenth century horndog worshipping prairie crossing cult!”
(LessMon)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-08

duped_no_more:

Will you please keep us updated on the status of this.  I have a website in the works to do just this thing.  Hopefully they'll keep honoring email resignations.

Signature 

“Just because a lot of people believe something doesn’t make it true.” —Nathan Young, TBM

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-05

I hope email resignations are successful and help more people to get out of the church.  I don't think I am ready for that, but maybe one day.

Signature 

Myths which are believed in tend to become true. George Orwell

The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth.  Pierre Abelard

“The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.”  Dumbledore

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-04

Thank you! I am hoping it works. I didn't have my membership number, I tore up my recommend long ago but I gave them all the info they need I think. I will keep you all updated. My TBM dh didn't even freak out. I was shocked. He said that it was all good! Here's to hoping one day he will follow my lead and get the H out of the church.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-08

duped_no_more:
Thank you! I am hoping it works. I didn't have my membership number, I tore up my recommend long ago but I gave them all the info they need I think. I will keep you all updated. My TBM dh didn't even freak out. I was shocked. He said that it was all good! Here's to hoping one day he will follow my lead and get the H out of the church.

What info did you provide?  I'm thinking Name, Address, Phone #, and birthdate should be sufficient.  Anything more is just complimentary.  I didn't know my number when I resigned either, or who my bishop was or what ward I was in.

Signature 

“Just because a lot of people believe something doesn’t make it true.” —Nathan Young, TBM

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-04

happyashellexmo:
duped_no_more:

What info did you provide?  I'm thinking Name, Address, Phone #, and birthdate should be sufficient.  Anything more is just complimentary.  I didn't know my number when I resigned either, or who my bishop was or what ward I was in.

Hmmm, I provided my maiden name, birthdate, baptism date (I guessed on this one), location of baptism and my current address.  I totally forgot to give the current ward info.  Hope it works!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-04

UPDATE

I received a letter from church headquarters today.  It states that they got my request, but it is a local matter and my letter and request have been forwarded to the presiding bishop of my ward.  I got the stupid pamphlet begging me to come back.  

I am a bit ticked since in my letter I said this letter is my resignation and the only contact I want is a confirmation of the letter received.  I don't want to be hassled by local leaders over this.  I just want to be done with it all. 

The bishop is actually a pretty cool guy, I told him everything and he was totally cool with it all, said that the church works for him but he isn't going to tell me what to believe.  He also gave my TBM dh advice that if it came down to it, he should leave as well. 

So, does anyone know what happens from here?  Do they come over and try to get me to change my mind?  How does this local matter work?  Is there anything I can do to bypass all this extra crap? 

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-06

I just emailed this and I hope it works for me.  I am sooo done with this.  I do NOT want it to drag out any longer. 
 Signature 

Now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find
  Walt Whitman

RankRank
Joined  2010-09-25

duped_no_more:

UPDATE

I received a letter from church headquarters today.  It states that they got my request, but it is a local matter and my letter and request have been forwarded to the presiding bishop of my ward.  I got the stupid pamphlet begging me to come back.  

I am a bit ticked since in my letter I said this letter is my resignation and the only contact I want is a confirmation of the letter received.  I don't want to be hassled by local leaders over this.  I just want to be done with it all. 

The bishop is actually a pretty cool guy, I told him everything and he was totally cool with it all, said that the church works for him but he isn't going to tell me what to believe.  He also gave my TBM dh advice that if it came down to it, he should leave as well. 

So, does anyone know what happens from here?  Do they come over and try to get me to change my mind?  How does this local matter work?  Is there anything I can do to bypass all this extra crap? 

I got the same thing five days after I mailed my resignation. About 6 weeks later I received a letter stating my name had been removed from their records.  I wasn't contacted by anyone during those 6 weeks.  The wait was kind of nerve-wracking because I was always expecting the bishop or missionaries to show up at my door to try and tell me I was making a big mistake, but they respected my request for no contact.

I know the response time is a little different for everyone, but 6 weeks seems to be pretty average from everything I've read.  I think it really depends on how fast your bishop/stake president take care of things on their end.

hope that helps.

Signature 

The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart. - Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-08

duped_no_more:

UPDATE

Yep, this is the same process they use when you mail your letter.  So now we've verified that they are accepting resignations by email, at least for the moment.  The bishop may or may not contact you.  It seems like it varies.  But you are officially exmormon and they just have to finish their bullshit internal process.

Signature 

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-22

I'm gonna do this TODAY!!!!!!!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-30

duped_no_more:

UPDATE

I called church headquarters earlier this morning because bishop was being an asshat.  The lovely lady on the other end of the telephone mentioned I could have and should have mailed it directly there. I asked about the letter saying it was a local ecclesiastical matter and she said don't stress it.  If they didn't hear anything from the local bishop they process it after sixty days. 

Signature 

” We create the illusions we need to go on. And one day, when they no longer dazzle or comfort, we tear them down , brick by glittering brick, until we are left with nothing but the bright light of honesty. The light is liberating. Terrifying.”

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-06

dieloreli:
I just emailed this and I hope it works for me.  I am sooo done with this.  I do NOT want it to drag out any longer. 

Hey just got my letter from the COB.  It like others says it will turn it over to Stake Pres then Bishop before they continue.  It had the litte pamphlet asking me to reconcider.  It will just take time to finish the paperwork.   I am greatful for this post it makes it much easier than snail mail. 

Thanks.. will post when I get final letter. 

Signature 

Walt Whitman

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-22

dieloreli:
dieloreli:

Hey just got my letter from the COB.  It like others says it will turn it over to Stake Pres then Bishop before they continue.  It had the litte pamphlet asking me to reconcider.  It will just take time to finish the paperwork.   I am greatful for this post it makes it much easier than snail mail. 

Thanks.. will post when I get final letter. 

dieloreli:

I got the same letter today in the mail.  I skipped to my car after receiving it.  I feel such relief!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-04

My paperwork is being sent back to SLC by the bishop today. Hopefully it will only be a few weeks more!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-08

duped_no_more:
My paperwork is being sent back to SLC by the bishop today. Hopefully it will only be a few weeks more!

Did you have to speak to your bishop?

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-04

Yes, he had the secretary email my husband to ask me to come in. I said I wasn't comfortable with that. He called me and asked me if I still felt I wanted to leave. I said yes and he said he would process the paperwork and send it in tomorrow. It was pretty painless!

RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-27

I just sent mine in. We'll see what happens. smile

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-05

duped_no_more:

UPDATE

Same thing happened after I sent my email-got the first letter within a few days.  Did not hear anything for around six weeks so sent a second email.  It has been over two months and have not heard anything since first letter.  Am hoping they will just go ahead and process it w/o my having to contact them again!

Signature 

Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. James 3:3

Tolstoy: “I know that most men…can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”

“There is only one success,...to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.” Christopher Morley

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-06

Well Bishop came to my house today to confirm I sent email request.  I told him yes I did and I want my name off the records.  He was nice enough, tried to make small talk and such.. I was polite but firm.  My son was with me.. and he also told him he will be sending him a letter to withdraw his name.  Bishop tried to make connection with his family and mine in my old life.  Then he could see I wasnt going to be moved. He told my son to send the letter directly to him.  SO we got his address and son will send it snail mail to him direct.  The email worked as promised and I verified it wasnt a prank from someone else.  So now I will wait for my official letter to confirmed I am off their rolls.  I already feel I am no longer a Shadow mormon.  I have firmly stood up and stepped out of the program.  Thank you all for your words of encouragement and sharing your stories with me.
 Signature 

Walt Whitman

RankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-27

I just got the form letter in the mail along with the invitation. That invitation from the profit was so personal and special I just might change my mind! (turn off sarcasm) Now I'm waiting for the bishop to come knocking. He lives right across the street. It will be interesting to see how long it takes and what he says smile

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
chris3
Curious NeverMo
finex
Penguin
TheDragonBorn

Logged in: 6
Not logged in: 80
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)