Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Living scriptures

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-24

I just got a phone call from the "Living Scriptures" people!  Ugh!  Some young girl trying to make small talk with me about the weather and how hot it is in Salt Lake (like I'm supposed to say, "oh!  Salt Lake!  How lovely!")  Why would I pay a ridiculous amount of money for some DVD's that are just burned from the old VHS series?!  Seriously?!  How do they rope these poor kids into ripping off other members?!  And how the Hell did they get my number, and know I was LDS?  AHHHHH! 
Sorry for the vent. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-10

I think that's the same outfit we bought from in the early 80's. What a waste of money. They still around? I think ours was just cassette tapes. There was another thing we bought that consisted of tapes and books for our kids when they were very young. One of the songs that buried itself in my brain and still emerges once in a while had as a verse

"Come to the land of Obey," where the people are happy they say!"

Oh man, that's gonna be stuck in my ear all.....day.....long.
 Signature 

The only true currency in this bankrupt world if what we share with someone else when we’re uncool.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-06

I remember the college morbots coming to my house in the mid 90's selling that crap. The first thing that pissed me off about them is that they USED the ward list to go directily to ward members houses. Nothing like using the LARD to make a buck.

The next thing that pissed me off about the tapes is the salesman actually had the balls to tell me that the videos (DVD wasn't available yet) were better quality than Disney Videos. He said one of the creators had worked for Disney but was too good for them or some crap like that. I don't know if he actually believed that line but he did use it.

The final thing that pissed me off was the cost. IMO they tried to guilt me into buying animated versions of the BOM to "help" my childs spiritual growth and then the cost of owning them came out to more individually than you would pay for a full length Disney Video you could buy at Walmart.

IMO I think that the series has been out long enought now that if members want the series they can buy it on the internet and they shouldn't be pressured by phone or door to door contacts.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

<hanging head> 

I was one of those TBM's that bought the whole set, lock, stock and barrel.  And paid $40.00 a month for them when I usually didn't have $40.00 a month to spare.  And I found out the hard way that you can't cancel....EVER....unless you give them a lump sum of the remaining amount that is due on your account.  And just like a credit card or loan institution, if you default, they will turn your account into collections and it will damage your credit rating.  My children were young at the time and I bought the line that was given that I let them watch Disney movies and what is that teaching them?  To be a good LDS mother, I should be encouraging them to watch the living scriptures that will help them throughout their lives.  Ughhhhhhh....they got me with that line! And I totally overlooked the fact I was paying double the amount for a 20 minute video!

However, I don't think Living Scriptures are owned or affiliated with the LDS church.  I know back in my primary days it was made clear the videos were not church approved to show in classes or in sharing time.  But interesting they "knew" you were LDS....either they were assuming so or they have a source somewhere.....hmmmm.
 Signature 

~MsGabbie :)

http://takingonmothernature.wordpress.com

I didn’t leave because I wanted to sin.  I left because I wanted a life!  The “sinning” was merely a bonus.

Ignorance is NOT bliss….it’s just ignorance!

To wonder is to begin to understand.

All animals dream.  Only dogs dream of us.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-02

Crime Dog:I think that's the same outfit we bought from in the early 80's. What a waste of money. They still around? I think ours was just cassette tapes. There was another thing we bought that consisted of tapes and books for our kids when they were very young. One of the songs that buried itself in my brain and still emerges once in a while had as a verse

"Come to the land of Obey," where the people are happy they say!"

That one was actually from Brite Music, yet another Utah based MLM company.  My mom used to sell that stuff and had a solid testimony about it.  The Living scriptues folks sell overpriced, and IMHO rather low quality animated videos based on the BOM, Bible, church history, etc.  My mom bought us a set of them some years back (and no doubt spent a fortune).  The animation is poor and while a few of the songs are sortof passable, some of the songs are just about the most lame ever.  If you have to go for indoctrination, my kids much prefer being indoctrinated by watching VeggieTales, which has hugely better animation and is silly enough to keep the kids attention rather than trying to take itself so seriously (like the Living Scriptures movies).  The Living Scriptures Bible movies at least stick to generally accepted christian principles (which I am OK with).
 Signature 

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
- Galileo Galilei

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

We watched a few of the Living Scriptures videos I had growing up now that I'm Christian, previewing for my kids, and they're not just regularly accepted Christian teachings. There's all sorts of little things in there that are mormon. A lot of it is background stuff, like the songs. In fact, the stories were bought out by a second company looking to market it towards Christians, and they had so many mainstream Christians complain about the non-Christian/pro-mormon stuff in them that they changed quite a few of the Bible ones.

My friends used to work for Living Scriptures call center up in Logan. They actually had prerecorded responses that they could push the button to say certain things or to laugh. And when they called, they were always instructed to get five peoples names and numbers, and ward lists were quite often sent in. Anyway to make a buck.
 Signature 

I am the girl anachronism

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Curious NeverMo
dave (e_nomo)
Dinah
Golden apostate
nessid
readbooks

Logged in: 7