Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

1 of 5
Yes, John Dehlin has left the Church

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

A few minutes ago I got back from attending a presentation where TKStrong defended her master's thesis in Sociology. Her subject was the social implications of leaving the LDS Church in Utah.  I like her title: "This Was the Place."    I liked her presentation. Well done!  In a room of about 12 people attending I sat next to John Dehlin.  

My point in writing is that afterward John volunteered to me that he has left the church -- hasn't resigned yet, but has left.  He told me that this is public information and I was free to mention it on PostMo. He said it was the integrity problem that finally took him out.  He couldn't remain a member and avoid the problems with the church any longer. His personal integrity would no longer allow him to look the other way.  He and his wife have both left.  He's meeting with the Stake President in a few days, I assume regarding his disaffection, but I could be wrong.  Congratulations to you and your wife on your 'graduation' from Mormonism John!!!! 

Signature 

When man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime.—Thomas Paine

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-13

John is good people, and I'm glad the better half of him won the struggle.
 Signature 

I am the tortoise

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-06

John was a main player in the difficult role of remaining active. His departure should be a terrible loss to the TBMs of the world. The sad thing is they didn't really acknowledge his efforts, and always seemed a bit perplexed by his middle road approach to Latter-day Saintism. Mostly they didn't want to talk about problems in Mormonism. John helped hundreds, if not thousands of LDS members. The church should listen to its young warriors as opposed to its ancient old chiefs!

That is exactly why men with the integrity of John Dehlin head for the exits...

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-18

Well, I'll be damned...

It's a Festivus Miracle! 

Signature 

“There’s an old saying about those who forget history. I don’t remember it, but it’s good.” — Stephen Colbert

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-01

Muscogean:

John was a main player in the difficult role of remaining active. His departure should be a terrible loss to the TBMs of the world. The sad thing is they didn't really acknowledge his efforts, and always seemed a bit perplexed by his middle road approach to Latter-day Saintism. Mostly they didn't want to talk about problems in Mormonism. John helped hundreds, if not thousands of LDS members. The church should listen to its young warriors as opposed to its ancient old men!

That is exactly why men with the integrity of John Dehlin head for the exits...

I was thinking the same thing. My first thought was that the church may soon be facing some serious problems, as respected advocates of Mormonism drift away and potentially draw quite a crowd with them. The LDS Church is turning a very bad place for intellectuals, and sooner or later they will have to pay for it.

Signature 

Love is the law, love under will.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-22

Swearing Elder:

Well, I'll be damned...

It's a Festivus Miracle! 

ROFL!!!!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-03

I wish John and his family all the best.
 Signature 

The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn.
The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything
....Robert Ingersoll

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-13

As a fellow USU dept. Of Psych. Alum... I must say, "Wow! John you really held on there.". The belief was really entrenched. Good that you had the courage to anayze the data and come to your own conclusion, in the end. HH =)
 Signature 

Atheism is the arrogant belief that the universe was NOT created for us.

Many things thought to stem from religious beliefs, such as well-being or prosocial behavior are often due to purely secular factors. -Galen

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-11

Jeff Ricks:

A few minutes ago I got back from attending a presentation where TKStrong defended her master's thesis in Sociology. Her subject was the social implications of leaving the LDS Church in Utah.  I like her title: "This Was the Place."    I liked her presentation. Well done!  In a room of about 12 people attending I sat next to John Dehlin.  

My point in writing is that afterward John volunteered to me that he had left the church -- hasn't resigned yet, but has left.  He told me that this is public information and I was free to mention it on PostMo. He said it was the integrity problem that finally took him out.  He couldn't remain a member and avoid the problems with the church any longer. His personal integrity would no longer allow him to look the other way.  He and his wife have both left.  He's meeting with the Stake President in a few days about his choice to leave and I think he's a little nervous about the meeting.  Congratulations to you and your wife on your graduation John!!!! 

What?!?!?! I am shocked! John hinted about the meeting with his Stake Pres before the defense, but I didn't know that was his intention!! Wow. Thanks for passing on that information!

Also, thank you for coming, it was really nice to have the two of you there. Just so you know, the committee did pass me. I have some revisions to do, but that is expected. If any one is interested in the final product let me know and I would be happy to forward it on. A special thanks to those of you who contributed to my research!! 

Signature 

”...real authorities on any subject know that there is never one right answer, just a lot of provisional answers competing for attention and acceptance.”
-Howard Becker

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

tkstrong:
Jeff Ricks:

My point in writing is that afterward John volunteered to me that he had left the church -- hasn't resigned yet, but has left.  He told me that this is public information and I was free to mention it on PostMo. He said it was the integrity problem that finally took him out.  He couldn't remain a member and avoid the problems with the church any longer. His personal integrity would no longer allow him to look the other way.  He and his wife have both left.  He's meeting with the Stake President in a few days about his choice to leave and I think he's a little nervous about the meeting.  Congratulations to you and your wife on your graduation John!!!! 

What?!?!?! I am shocked! John hinted about the meeting with his Stake Pres before the defense, but I didn't know that was his intention!! Wow. Thanks for passing on that information!

Also, thank you for coming, it was really nice to have the two of you there. Just so you know, the committee did pass me. I have some revisions to do, but that is expected. If any one is interested in the final product let me know and I would be happy to forward it on. A special thanks to those of you who contributed to my research!! 

Congratulations!!! 

Signature 

When man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime.—Thomas Paine

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-14

In some ways I'm actually kinda sad - because he was my last hope that I could reconcile my existence in the church.

Even then his how to stay in the church presentation at Sunstone (which I listened to) - really boiled down to "you should stay because why the hell not - its a good support organization" - which one could argue for and against until the sun becomes a chunk of coal the size of my fist. 

Oh well ;). 

One thing I do miss about church is my pseudo friends. Most of my other "friends" are work friends and about as useful sadly. One of the best guys I've ever met in my life I met online while playing World of Warcraft - and happened to work at the same company as I did. 

Signature 

Moderate believers betray reason and faith equally.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-08

I was intiially very critical of John Dehlin.  I blogged about him and posted here about my disdain for his "Stay LDS" website.  Several of you here had very nice things to say about him and recommended his pod cast.  I have been a subscriber for about a year or so and it has become a a staple in my iPod.  

I have really come to enjoy John Dehlin as a person and have empathy for his struggle.  I want to say, very publicly, that I had reevaluated my feelings about John a while ago and felt like his contribution to the Mormon community and ours has been extremely positive.  I honestly hope John finds peace in this decision and can find the support from us that he has given.  

Signature 

http://itsacurmudgeonslife.blogspot.com/

Not participating in the madness… just observing!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-12

Congratulations are in order both to TK Strong and John Dehlin.

_______

To John Dehlin: Your video was of great help to my wife in her reluctant but inevitable journey out of Mormonism.

I would guess that you have significantly contributed to freedom from Mormonism in the lives of more than you realize.

Thank you.

RankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

wow do i feel like an outcast... who is John Dehlin?
 Signature 

all the world’s a stage

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-24

For some reason a lot of things related to the church have been making me feel terribly sad today. This is just adding to the pain.

John has done more than any individual in helping me with my disaffection. His MormonStories podcasts have given me comfort dealing with a rabid TBM DW. Though I haven't been able to convince her to listen to those podcasts, many of them - especially those concerning mixed TBM / Disaffected marrieages - have at least given me hope if only a fool's hope.

The church ought to be on its knees begging him to stay. I am wondering, also, whether this, when word gets out, will encourage others to follow him out. I know I have been seriously considering it, and maybe this will give me the final *push*

Thank you John!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-28

Alright John!

Signature 

The Book of Mormon is Christian “Fan Fiction”.... I am not a fan :)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-06

Congratulations, TKS.  And somewhat more tentative congratulations to John.  I imagine this has been, and will continue to be, a difficult transition.  I respect what you tried to do and the emotional and psychological space you created for people both inside and on the way out of the Church.

Best wishes to you both,

Faustus

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

.........eh........ okay....... wow!

I also listened to his podcasts and experienced several "Hats off to John" moments as his story and scenario rang true to my own on several points.  I am kind of "in" (bodily only) the church still... and attend with the "why the hell not" reasoning since my wife and family, extended family are in and not going anywhere else anytime soon.  To not attend means my marriage suffers and further more severe ostracising would happen with extended family.

It's complicated, I don't want to rehash it all here as this thread is not about me or whatever I am involved with.

So I think from what I can tell, John's wife's support brought crucial impetus for making this last step.

It's sad really.  The church has set itself up for more people like John to choose intellectually to leave.

snowball.  rolling.

~Noggin

Signature 

Playing Adams Pro Black CB-1’s… Sweet clubs!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-11

Count me in the camp who can't begin to quantify how much impact his podcasts had on my transition. I'll be forever grateful for his contribution and I never had any doubt whatever as to his sincerity or his integrity. I admire Mr. Dehlin and wish him the best in his future endeavors.
 Signature 

“When a person is down in the world, an ounce of help is better than a pound of preaching.”
Robert Bulwer-Lytton

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-21

Well, I'm a big John Dehlin fan for reasons expressed here:

http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/27793/#480383

John, if you haven't read the thread above (from a couple weeks ago) you really should--you have a lot of supporters  here. 

I think John has done more for the "Postmormon" cause than most ex-mormons.  If there is not a place in the church John Dehlin, there is not a place for many, many more of us who are like him.  Its incredibly frustrating to go to church but not be able to say what you believe, for fear of being branded an apostate.  I always admired John for openly and honestly confronting issues with the church.  If the church wants to stem the tide of disaffected members, it really needs to create a safe place for people like us to express our opinions and discuss troubling issues.  Otherwise, it will continue to drive us into underground Internet forums--which only hastens our apostasy.    

Signature 

“Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.”
-Author Unknown

”...the good things about the church are not unique and the unique things about the church are not true, what’s the point?”
-Happy Guy

“In the unlikely event that this life is a test, I would hope it is a test of character and integrity rather than obedience and credulity. If the former, I have nothing to fear from my apostasy. If the latter, then God is a scoundrel and all is lost anyway.”
-Robby Sunshine

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-22

tkstrong:
Jeff Ricks:

I would love a copy!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-25

As someone who's been highly critical of John staying in the church knowing what he knows, I'll happily say - glad I turned out to be wrong. Congrats John.

Also congrats, TK! Awesome!

Signature 

welcomingcongregation.gif width=18px height=18px
“A close examination of the text of the Book of Mormon makes it clear that if the Nephite people had tried to hide from modern archaeologists, they could not have done a better job.”
  — Orson Scott Card (link)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-21

LeftGood:
tkstrong:
Jeff Ricks:

I would love a copy!

me too !  thanks !  I'll PM my email address, thanks again

Signature 

“Truth Restored”....unless it becomes embarrassing, then we’ll change it.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-04

WOW!!!!!!

and

WOW this is like the best love story ever if he worked that hard to meld his own integrity with staying for his wife 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-08-20

Well paint me green and call me joe. That was unexpectedly unexpected.

(sometimes I have too much fun) 

Signature 

Ferret out the truth

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-24

TheRipper:

He and I were freshmen together at BYU back in the good old days!  Long live Chipman Hall!  He is the founder and creator of mormonstories.org.  Check it out, full of lots of very interesting interviews and information.  He is a very genuine guy.

Signature 

Can’t resist… IRON FIST!!!

RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-10

Good Luck John! i have enjoyed your mormon stories podcasts. I hope you keep doing them.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-16

I think John mentioned somewhere a couple of months ago that he was "out."  I have been critical of John's positions in the past, but I have always been worried about John as a person, because I knew he was trying to help, and I knew he was trying to be someone of integrity, and I just couldn't see how it could work for him long term.  In another forum where John and I both occasionally hang out, I wrote the following:

Although I admire the tremendous work John Dehlin has done in, for, and with the Disaffected Mormon Underworld, the PostMormons, the Ex-Mormons, the Former Mormons, the New Order Mormons, the Liberal Mormons and also many others, I have often times been critical of John.  My criticisms have been o...n the exact topic he has identified in his in his recent post.   I have questioned his integrity.

John has now disclosed to this group that he has made a significant decision that he felt his integrity compelled him to make.  I commend, applaud, and indeed "tip my hat" to John both for making this move and for sharing that decision here.  

I know that John has been struggling for a long time, precisely because his heart is pure.  John's driving motivation in life is to help others.  In the complex world that he finds himself in, the thoughtful, critical, loving Mormon who has reached out to so many, no matter what their internal or external affliction, John was a target for others to attack.  The internal and external forces pulling at John would have either sent a lesser man retreating into protected, cloistered enclave of orthodoxy or running into the streets fomenting revolution.

I'm certain John's decision was not an easy one to make, but I am also certain it was the right one for John.

Bravo, John Dehlin!

Signature 

Flat Lander

Presiding Bishop
Moron Church of Latter-day Saints

Following in the False Traditions of our Fathers
Seeking All Lightmindedness and Loud Laughter

Visit the Moron Church website
And visit us on Facebook
and YouTube

RankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-08

So, when do we get to see the "and I'm an exmormon" ad featuring him?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-23

I cannot thank John enough. His thoughtful, thorough, genuine interviews presented a palatable way for me to view my (freightening) questions of the church.

Welcome John, I'm grateful to you though we will probably never meet.

I wish you and your wife happiness.

RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-10

Dr.McNinja:
TheRipper:

He and I were freshmen together at BYU back in the good old days!  Long live Chipman Hall!  He is the founder and creator of mormonstories.org.  Check it out, full of lots of very interesting interviews and information.  He is a very genuine guy.

Chipman forever!!!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

Congrats to tkstrong!  I hate that I couldn't make it to your presentation.  Thanks for allowing me to be part of your graduate experience. 

John, I've always admired you.  One of these days we really DO need to meet in person!

Signature 

In the end no one will sell you what you need,
You can’t buy it off the shelf,
You got to grow it from the seed ~Chris Smither

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

TK Strong, way to go.  I'm glad you passed and I'm glad that you were able to do your studies on something that had potential to be socially volatile.

John, thanks for your efforts in building a gentle middle ground for people to come together and talk with relative openness.  I wish you the best.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-04

I watched one of John's power point presentations on why people leave the Mormon church.  It was instrumental in me deciding to leave, and for that I'm grateful to him.  I couldn't quite figure out how, knowing all that information about the church, it was possible for him to stay in.  I knew it was not possible for me.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-25

Shout out to TKStrong!  Congratulations girl!  As one of your interviewee's for your paper, I must say that I was extremely impressed with the revision you shared with me before you made your final edits.  You did a superb job and I felt like you represented me in your paper with superb accuracy.   Way to go!  And yes, I definitely want a copy of your final paper.  

John Dehlin, I just want to say that I have admired your courage for years and your thoughtful and kind responses when you were attacked for the "middle of the road" approach you took.  I was always afraid that you were going to get run over by 15 myopic gerantologists.  I am so happy to see you take your power and decision in your own hands instead of risking having those...those...(can't think of an adjective degrading enough to describe them) men railroad you out of the church.  I truly believe you are a good and kind man and there really isn't much higher complement that I can give someone.

Max 

Signature 

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-26

mamapajama:

Congrats to tkstrong!  I hate that I couldn't make it to your presentation.  Thanks for allowing me to be part of your graduate experience. 

John, I've always admired you.  One of these days we really DO need to meet in person!

John. How are you feeling about being the subject of so much conversation?  anyway, I respect your integrity and I would also like to meet you some time.  Due to where I live I don't meet many postmormons.  There is good and bad in not living near Utah.  

Signature 

“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Alice in Wonderland.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-11

I had already mentally left before John hit the scene, but his early work with the PP presentation helped me in my coming out to my wife.  Many thanks John and best wishes for whatever lies ahead for you and your family.

Signature 

Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.
-Joseph Campbell

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-12

Kudos to you and your wife, John! Reading your power point presentation helped me to articulate some of my reasons for exiting the church.

You might have a difficult journey ahead. I am glad that you and your wife have each other! This can bring you closer to each other.

Postmo is a great place to process your thoughts and get support. Don't be a stranger.

Signature 

There is a new you everyday.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

My understanding is that John was the founder of "Stay LDS".  I joined the Stay LDS group and stayed for over one year.  I struggled terribly with "truths" of the LDS Church and finally came here after suffering severe depression when I realized that much that I had been taught wasn't true.

Thanks to John anyway.  He helped me through a difficult process.

P.S.  for those of you who want an update,  my family became very active in a nondemomintional Christian Church.  My daughter met a guy with a Master's Degree in Adolescent Psychology who works at a Christian Counselling Center for youth with substance abuse issues.  They are getting married this month.  Honestly, I am so excited because this is one of the choicest men I have ever met.  I can't boost about him enough.  He also works for Valley Mental Health part-time.  It was our answer to a prayer.  We are all doing fine.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Some Elders make it sound like if you leave the LDS Church, you will be forever single, lonely, alone and abandoned.  Nothing can be further from the truth.  My friends are making dinner at the Ronald McDonald House on Friday and we just finished that fantastic drive to collect items for the homeless.  I'm busy, but I'm so happy because this is the very first time in my life that I have been able to act so directly with my community.  Before, we always had to have Priesthood approve activities and direct them.  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

tkstrong:
Jeff Ricks:

Yes, TK, I would like to see the final product please.  Thank you for the gracious offer!  Looking forward to it!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Jeff Ricks:

My point in writing is that afterward John volunteered to me that he has left the church -- hasn't resigned yet, but has left.  He told me that this is public information and I was free to mention it on PostMo. He said it was the integrity problem that finally took him out.  He couldn't remain a member and avoid the problems with the church any longer. His personal integrity would no longer allow him to look the other way.  He and his wife have both left.  He's meeting with the Stake President in a few days about his choice to leave and I think he's a little nervous about the meeting.  Congratulations to you and your wife on your graduation John!!!! 

John, we are all proud of you and your wife for having the courage to be authenic people.  Life on this side of honest is pretty dang awsome!

1 of 5

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Quartersawn

Logged in: 2
Not logged in: 79
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

broccoli

Total members: 9456
God never wanted the Titanic to make it.
by Strong Free & Thankful
Gender Equality
by Nephi
Kids voting?
by Elder OldDog
mormon.org/becauseofhim
by josephs myth
Where Mormons Are Going
by elconquistador