FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

“Thor”......War In Heaven???

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Saw "Thor" the whole show was the"War In Heaven" scenario,,,,and it dawned on me....that's where JS got his stories from.   Old Norse Myths.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

I'm not the only one seeing it. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110515115731AAGC7JE
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-07

Thor was AWESOME.  Way better than Iron Man or the Hulk.  I really liked the story.

DW and I then talked about raising our kids as Odin worshipers, except that much of the Norse imagery has been coopted by white supremacists.  Sad.  A Thor tattoo would be awesome, but I'm not a racist.

Signature 

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran

RankRank
Joined  2010-08-29

You could get a Marvel comic Thor tattoo .
Image Attachments
Thor.jpg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-04

I thought exactly the same thing while watching Thor.  The Mormon god, Elohim, is really an advanced space alien from Kolob, not the captial "G" God of most of the Abrahamic faiths.  Elohim did not "create" the universe.  He wasn't the prime mover.  He is not omnipotent ("God would cease to be God."), etc.

The Norse gods are the gods of my ancestors.  Perhaps I should go back to worshipping them.

Signature 

http://www.Theofrak.com - because traditional religion is so frakked up

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-13

Kind of related, but not really related: When my wife and I went to see the Clash of the Titans remake a couple of years ago, the whole "Perseus as demi-god" angle caught her attention. She leaned over and whispered, "There are so many parallels!" We were on a date and celebrating a special occasion, so I didn't have the heart to tell her that if anything it was the other way around.
 Signature 

I am the tortoise

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-13

Tessa:
I'm not the only one seeing it. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110515115731AAGC7JE

"Everything ever was a Mormon's idea!"

Signature 

I am the tortoise

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-20

Panopticon:

The Norse gods are the gods of my ancestors.  Perhaps I should go back to worshipping them.

You wouldn't be the first person with that idea:

Asatru Folk Assembly

The Troth

Asatru Alliance

DocArmy:

Thor was AWESOME.  Way better than Iron Man or the Hulk.  I really liked the story.

DW and I then talked about raising our kids as Odin worshipers, except that much of the Norse imagery has been coopted by white supremacists.  Sad.  A Thor tattoo would be awesome, but I'm not a racist.

I have an Odin tattoo, and I am not a racist (I don't worship Odin or the Norse gods either though).

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Hitler tinted the Norse myths...sad...so did Wagner.
 Signature 

RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-03

I saw the same thing on so many levels.  But Loki is so much more awesome than Michael Ballam.

And in maybe the only time I'll defend Joseph, I have to say-- What a great choice of a story to steal.  It really is a great story if you're looking for drama in the pre-creation.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Free2Live

Logged in: 1
Not logged in: 51
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9806
Family History!
by son of perdition
Second Comforter?