Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

The Church Breaks Its Own Rules

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

Just one more bit of hipocracy, this time in the news. From the article:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/20/latino-mormons-speaking-out-against-romney-over-immigration-issue/

"Garcia said it is estimated that nearly 70 percent of Latino Mormons are illegal immigrants. He said the church has responded by hiring members whose sole jobs are to transport some Latino missionaries from state to state because they can't fly due to their immigration status."

From the Articles of Faith:

1. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
  2. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Helping missionaries subvert immigration authorities is not obeying the law, it's actively breaking it.  

Signature 

“Never forget! The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-11

here in Southern Utah this violation has gone rampant, there has been many self employed LDS contractors and landscaping company owners that have hired illegal immigrants without doing any investigation. The mentality here is its cheap labor for the big Corporation.
 Signature 

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Mohandas Gandhi

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

And then when there's a sweep, the church is in on it. Collect them, send them back...then sneak them back in...harvest time. Utah legislature wants them gone. It's a no-win for Latino members who believed they'd be taken care of....and find out, the answer is no. Just read the waffling. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/52141918-90/bishop-border-delegation-immigration.html.csp
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-12

Along the same lines, the church also owns many for profit businesses that operate on Sunday and require people to work on Sunday. The church makes big bucks from these enterprises all while preaching the sanctity of the sabbath.
 Signature 

The world needs lurkers too.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-13

Anybody know how many corporation names the Mormon Church has or uses?
 Signature 

If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people. -  Dr. Gregory House.

There’s a time for diplomacy, a time for plainness and then there’s a time to just let it rip.
- Peter Lindberg Jensen.

The most rewarding thing in life is to live authentically.
- Peter Lindberg Jensen.

There’s nothing like looking through the door of reality and seeing what’s there. How can this not be more interesting than looking through the door of ignorance and seeing nothing?
- Peter Lindberg Jensen.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

Upon reading the topic title, "The Church Breaks Its Own Rules", my first thought was "Which one?" Now I see it is one which I didn't know about (the immigrants, not the articles of faith!)

It would be useful to perhaps compile these breaches into a compendium of sorts. Then every time someone throws the old "The church does everything within the law" argument at me, I'd have a ready list to throw back at them. 

Signature 

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

PJ:
Anybody know how many corporation names the Mormon Church has or uses?

You might enjoy playing with this, corporations and people connected to the many church for profit businesses

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Utah/Salt-Lake-City/paul-c-genho-P3412800.aspx

eta: People are called on missions to work for free for these businesses.  I recently read in my newspaper where a couple had served a mission at the Berberian Nut Co. 

RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-25

Umm . . . am I the only one to catch the author's statement that the LDS church has 6M members, not the 14M being promoted?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

AKPilot:

Umm . . . am I the only one to catch the author's statement that the LDS church has 6M members, not the 14M being promoted?

I believe they meant in the USA. It's shocking when you think about it because only about 50% of the members on record consider themselves Mormon. The last actual census number I could find shows in 2008 only 3,158,000 people self identified as Mormon (US Census Bureau data). If the same percentage holds true world wide (there's reason to believe the percentages are less favorable for the Mormons based on anecdotal accounts) we're looking at really only about 7 million Mormons world wide, and not all of those would be actively practicing. 

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/population/religion.html

Signature 

“Never forget! The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

Interesting political issue.

The mormon Latinos are protesting at Romney campaign events, as a result of feeling entitled to be here because the church is supportive of illegal immigration and a BYU professor is using the Book of Mormon as the case for why Latinos are entitled to be here. I love how this puts the historicity of the BOM front and center during this campaign cycle.

btw, why isn't the church helping the families who are here illegally to work within the system to become legal immigrants? Or perhaps even helping them to relocate to good communities in their home countries and investing in community building in those areas? 

Encouraging illegal immigrants to build a life in a country in which they are at constant risk of deportation, cannot receive many social services, and cannot participate in the infrastructure of social security and medicare is socially irresponsible.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Curious NeverMo
dave (e_nomo)
Everton
Itinerant
OldSoul

Logged in: 6
Not logged in: 66
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)