Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

NatGeo Show Doomsday Preppers

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-29

I would like to hear your thoughts on the NatGeo channel's new show Doomsday Preppers. I stumbled across it and found myself shaking my head at how out of touch with reality some of those people seem to be. Some of the people are also rather frightening. 

I noticed that a lot of the food storage the people had came from the mormon church, and the first episode I saw had a guy from Sandy, UT who had built and stocked an underground fallout shelter for his family at an undisclosed location because he is convinced that we are in imminent danger of nuclear attack.

Not all of the "preppers" are LDS, but they certainly sound a lot like them.

While I do think it is important to have an emergency plan and to be reasonably prepared for an emergency, these folks seem to have left reason behind a long time ago. I really think some of them are bordering on being mentally ill. They don't seem to be able to think rationally about the actual likelyhood of the events they are obsessively preparing for. And the reasons they give for their motivations to 'prep' are wide and vary from fairly reasonable natural disasters to 'the government is out to get us' paranoia.

Has anyone else seen this? What do you think? I'm expecting a lively thread here with lots of witty posts from you lovely people, so have at it. 

Signature 

“...I believe that if there is a future life, the best possible preparation for it is to do the very best we can here and now.
I believe that love for our fellow-men is infinitely nobler, better, and more necessary than love for God.
I believe that men, women and children need our best thoughts, our tenderest consideration, and our earnest sympathy.
I believe that God can get on just as well without any of these as with them.
If he wants anything he can get it without our assistance. It is people with limitations, not gods without limitations, who need and should have our aid…
If a life that embraces this line of action does not fit a man for heaven, and if faith in vicarious atonement will, then such a heaven is not worth going to, and its god would be unworthy to make a good man’s acquaintance.” Helen H Gardener, Men, Women, and Gods, 1885

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-05

I've seen parts of a few episodes, and the people are psychotic to say the least. On one of the episodes, the "preppers" were shooting at their barricaded house with high powered rifles to see how it would hold up in the event of an attack from the outside.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-29

Oh great. I'm watching it right now and this woman in SLC is going on about how the government is going to take all of our civil rights and start withholding water for all but the elite few. Wow.
 Signature 

“...I believe that if there is a future life, the best possible preparation for it is to do the very best we can here and now.
I believe that love for our fellow-men is infinitely nobler, better, and more necessary than love for God.
I believe that men, women and children need our best thoughts, our tenderest consideration, and our earnest sympathy.
If he wants anything he can get it without our assistance. It is people with limitations, not gods without limitations, who need and should have our aid…
If a life that embraces this line of action does not fit a man for heaven, and if faith in vicarious atonement will, then such a heaven is not worth going to, and its god would be unworthy to make a good man’s acquaintance.” Helen H Gardener, Men, Women, and Gods, 1885

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-05

Maybe the "holy ghost" will guide her to a water source.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-29

Even her friends seemed to think she was a little off her rocker, but damn if that show doesn't make me want to out of state again!
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-28

In the event of a real doomsday event--comet strike, Yellowstone blowup, all-out nuclear war--the likelihood that you have some weevily wheat in your basement or that your house can withstand a few bullets will likely make little difference in the end.

When disease strikes, as the Black Plague did in Europe, it doesn't distinguish between the elite and commoners, government officials or plain citizens, the devout or secularists. If you are in the way of a tsunami you are likely to be drowned, regardless of how much foodstuffs you have squirreled away or how deep your fallout shelter is.

The religious have anticipated the end times as long as history records.  It gives them something to look forward to, as this life isn't all that important to them.  If you give all your money to priests and bridle your natural urges, an afterlife of prosperity and lots of sex can look pretty inviting.  Most survivalists probably look forward to catastrophe.  It will give them a chance to show themselves they are right.  I think they enjoy the prospect of seeing all their complacent neighbors die horrible deaths.

Signature 

The Church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little by way of example.
    —Mark Twain in A Tramp Abroad

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-29

It is amazing how much insanity seems to be fueled by religious zeal.
 Signature 

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-05

Jammerwoch:

In the event of a real doomsday event--comet strike, Yellowstone blowup, all-out nuclear war--the likelihood that you have some weevily wheat in your basement or that your house can withstand a few bullets will likely make little difference in the end.

When disease strikes, as the Black Plague did in Europe, it doesn't distinguish between the elite and commoners, government officials or plain citizens, the devout or secularists. If you are in the way of a tsunami you are likely to be drowned, regardless of how much foodstuffs you have squirreled away or how deep your fallout shelter is.

The religious have anticipated the end times as long as history records.  It gives them something to look forward to, as this life isn't all that important to them.  If you give all your money to priests and bridle your natural urges, an afterlife of prosperity and lots of sex can look pretty inviting.  Most survivalists probably look forward to catastrophe.  It will give them a chance to show themselves they are right.  I think they enjoy the prospect of seeing all their complacent neighbors die horrible deaths.

My TBM dad used to refer to this as "the blitz".

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

"Survivalists" by any other name....chicken-little running about...don't forget your dowsing stick. 

Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-06

Last Wednesday in family history library I sat and listened to two educated LDS TBM's get very vocal about Obama (that black man) having a secret agenda to destroy America. That he was born in Africa, that he was a "Muslim," and that the wise are moving back to Utah and Idaho. I waited till there was a little break in their conversation and mentioned quietly, "Isn't it amazing that he wants to destroy the only life and country his two little daughters have ever known, and at such tender ages?" If dirty looks could kill...
 Signature 

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-29

apostate (FKA) strangite:
Last Wednesday in family history library I sat and listened to two educated LDS TBM's get very vocal about Obama (that black man) having a secret agenda to destroy America. That he was born in Africa, that he was a "Muslim," and that the wise are moving back to Utah and Idaho. I waited till there was a little break in their conversation and mentioned quietly, "Isn't it amazing that he wants to destroy the only life and country his two little daughters have ever known, and at such tender ages?" If dirty looks could kill...

LOL! Did you really say that? Oh that is awesome. I would have loved to have seen that. 

Signature 

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Sterling Hill:
I've seen parts of a few episodes, and the people are psychotic to say the least. On one of the episodes, the "preppers" were shooting at their barricaded house with high powered rifles to see how it would hold up in the event of an attack from the outside.

It is sooooo irrational to think that a barracaded house can withstand a military offensive. If the "government" wants what's in their house (another laughable notion) getting in would be easy.

Signature 

Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.
- Joseph Campbell

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Sterling Hill:

...using a magic peep stone that she found by reading the Book of Mormon.  And she found the stone in her back yard in a garden that the Church commanded all members should have.  Had she not planted that garden and read the Book of Mormon she wouldn't have found the peep stone.  Any day now it'll lead her to the promised water source -- just as soon as she has enough faith.

I've heard stories from some Mormons that aren't much crazier than that. 

Signature 

Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.
- Joseph Campbell

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-01

I've watched some of the show online, but I don't have the TV channel. I have found it interesting, but I am a sort-of prepper. I am not prepping because of a second coming, government take-over, or any other conspiracy theory. I just believe its better safe than sorry to have an emergency kit, a plan, and some extra food and water. Living in a place that is in earthquake prone, winter storms, etc. I don't think that is crazy at all, to me, it's smart. Also, I don't store hoards of food that I will never eat, I buy in bulk the foods I eat often and rotate them.
 Signature 

Think for yourself. Question Authority.

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-05

Jeff Ricks:
Sterling Hill:

...using a magic peep stone that she found by reading the Book of Mormon.  And she found the stone in her back yard in a garden that the Church commanded all members should have.  Had she not planted that garden and read the Book of Mormon she wouldn't have found the peep stone.  Any day now it'll lead her to the promised water source -- just as soon as she has enough faith.

I've heard stories from some Mormons that aren't much crazier than that. 

You and me both. The TBM farmer I used to work for in high school, his mother claimed to be a "water witch".

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-05

Jeff Ricks:
Sterling Hill:

It is sooooo irrational to think that a barracaded house can withstand a military offensive. If the "government" wants what's in their house (another laughable notion) getting in would be easy.

This "house" looked like 2 single wide trailers that were fastened together with plywood and duck tape.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Carl
CdnXMo
Questions...
son of perdition
Tapir Whisperer
True to the Truth

Logged in: 7
Not logged in: 66
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9608
A Rare and Beautiful Thing
by Matter Unorganized
Carolinas Get Together - Some fun in the Sun!
by John E. Baker, III [was GraciesDaddy]
Do You Still Believe in God?
by Brad (ZeeZrom)
TBM Tinder Date
by Celestial Wedgie
Latter Gay Saints
by Ex_aedibus
KATE KELLY'S APPEAL
by Swearing Elder