FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

8 of 8
Exploring Scientific Materialism

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-18

Jeff Ricks:
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

Abstractions and mental constructs exist in their own reality.  We can discuss the nature of their reality but it is incorrect to say they don't exsist.  Maybe Plato's forms would shed some light on this matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms

Son of perdition, thanks for the link! I agree that Plato's theory of forms is applicable, and in some ways perhaps central, to our discussion. 

I much prefer Aristotle's empirically-based metaphysics, where forms exist as part of the material objects themselves, rather than floating about abstractly and non-materially in some undetectable "third realm" (neither physically existing nor residing solely in our minds).  To Aristotle, our minds perceive the forms when we contemplate material objects; abstractions (e.g. 'chairness' per se) are mental constructs, not freely-existing entities as per Plato. 

[  ]  I'm not sure that Plato means that.  While I'm learning as I'm going I'm leaning toward Aristotle's view, but I also have to consider numbers.  For instance, does the number 2 need material representation to exist?  Or is there an inherent "two-ness" that's an eternal principle, regardless of whether intelligent being exist?  Yes, to perceive "two-ness" requires an intelligence to perceive it, but does it's existence depend on intelligence?

Likewise, is there an inherent "chair-ness" or "Jeff Ricks-ness" that exists, regardless of whether chairs or Jeff Ricks exists?  

I think the difference between Plato and Aristotle pertains to the issue of whether forms (e.g., "Jeff Ricks-ness") are eternal and exist independently of both mind and matter.  I understand Plato to say yes while Aristotle says no. 

Signature 

Why do I think reading is important? It is such an effective medium between mind and mind. We think largely in words. A medium made only of words doesn’t impose the barrier of any other medium. It is naked and unprotected communication. That’s how you get pregnant. May you always be so. – Roger Ebert
There’s a beautiful, progressive Canadian-­European country here in America. It’s just surrounded by rednecks. - Bill Maher
Ignorance is not bliss…it’s ignorance. - Itinerant

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

Abstractions and mental constructs exist in their own reality.  We can discuss the nature of their reality but it is incorrect to say they don't exsist.  Maybe Plato's forms would shed some light on this matter.

Son of perdition, thanks for the link! I agree that Plato's theory of forms is applicable, and in some ways perhaps central, to our discussion. 

I much prefer Aristotle's empirically-based metaphysics, where forms exist as part of the material objects themselves, rather than floating about abstractly and non-materially in some undetectable "third realm" (neither physically existing nor residing solely in our minds).  To Aristotle, our minds perceive the forms when we contemplate material objects; abstractions (e.g. 'chairness' per se) are mental constructs, not freely-existing entities as per Plato. 

[  ]  I'm not sure that Plato means that.  While I'm learning as I'm going I'm leaning toward Aristotle's view, but I also have to consider numbers.  For instance, does the number 2 need material representation to exist?  Or is there an inherent "two-ness" that's an eternal principle, regardless of whether intelligent being exist?  Yes, to perceive "two-ness" requires an intelligence to perceive it, but does it's existence depend on intelligence?

Likewise, is there an inherent "chair-ness" or "Jeff Ricks-ness" that exists, regardless of whether chairs or Jeff Ricks exists?  

I think the difference between Plato and Aristotle pertains to the issue of whether forms (e.g., "Jeff Ricks-ness") are eternal and exist independently of both mind and matter.  I understand Plato to say yes while Aristotle says no. 

I think I'm with Aristotle on this one.  "Chair-ness" is purely a creation of the human mind.

Signature 

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:

I think I'm with Aristotle on this one.  "Chair-ness" is purely a creation of the human mind.

What about "two-ness" Brad?  Same thing?

Signature 

Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.
- Joseph Campbell

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

Also, my friend, if you're going to take a stand one way or the other, I'd sure appreciate the inclusion of a reason for taking the particular stand.  Perhaps you don't have time for that now, in which case is understandable.

Signature 

Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.
- Joseph Campbell

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Jeff Ricks:

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:

Yes.

Signature 

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Jeff Ricks:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

Also, my friend, if you're going to take a stand one way or the other, I'd sure appreciate the inclusion of a reason for taking the particular stand.  Perhaps you don't have time for that now, in which case is understandable.

I agree.  That's why I said "I think..."  I'm think through the whole issue.  There is something that is bothering me about how we are talking about thinking, but I'm having trouble figuring it out and articulating it.  I think, in part, it's related to the burden of proof.  I know that "two" exists in my mind so I can think about it.  I know my coffee table exists outside my mind because I can bruise my shin on it.  What reason would I have for concluding that there is a thing called "twoness" that exists outside my mind?

Signature 

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

I'm still struggling with this notion of forms.  My first reaction, I guess like Artistotle's, was to treat forms as not existing because it made more sense to consider forms a part or aspect of the material things themselves.  However, I was concerned that doing so at an early stage of the argument would simply rule out the possible existence of the immaterial without any real justification for doing so.  I'm not sure that, at the end of the day, my personal conclusion won't be that our new third category really belongs in "things that don't exist"

Signature 

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Jeff Ricks:

Brad, I also think we need an additional category called, "exists as objects of thought" because some things that exist as objects of thought can also have a material counterpart, which means that "exists only as objects of thought" excludes such objects.

To clarify what I mean consider that the abstract concept, Abraham Lincoln, presently exists only as an object of thought, but when he was alive there was also a material counterpart.  The abstract concept didn't come into existence when he died, it came into existence when he was born and continues today.  When he was alive the abstract concept and the material counterpart existed concurrently  Agreed?

I don't agree (yet).  The concept of "counterpart" is new, I think.  Let me think about that for a bit.

If we agree that thoughts exist, then I think we have to agree that thoughts about a thing that exists materially, and the thing itself, exist concurrently.  

I would say that "coffee table" "dining room table" and "numbers" exist only as the object of thoughts.  Without human thought, they have no existence at all. 

Without human (intelligent) thought, then yes, they have no existence.  This is similar to the statement, "With a universe, the contents of the universe have no existence."

Just so I understand, you're distinguishing between "objects of thought" and "the material thing the object of thought is about".  You and Brad are only saying that the former do not exist without human (intelligent) thought.  The latter (e.g. the actual, materially-existing coffee table in my living room) will continue to exist regardless of whether every human being suddenly winks out of existence.  Correct? 

I think that's correct.

I'm having trouble with how to think about thinking.  We're saying that thinking involves two things -- a "thought" and and "object of a thought"  But I keep flipping back and forth as to whether the disctinction is really valid.  Here's what I'm thinking (inspired by Jeff's notion of "experience")

There is a material thing called "Brad Hudson's Body."  When it moves in a particular way, we attach the verb "walking."  When it moves in a different way, we call it "running,"  when it moves in a different way, we call it "gasping for breath becuase Brad's body is really out of shape."  

I'm tempted to say that "walking" and "running" and "gasping" don't exist, as they are merely labels we attach to certain kinds of physical activity.   Or, if they exist, they exist only as a mental construct.

Likewise with "thinking."   Rather than talk about "thought" and "object of a thought," should we instead be using "thinking" and "the object of thinking."  The difference, of course, is that the former results in two "things," while the latter only one.

Jeff, when you talked earlier about the concept that verbs are actually more important than nouns, is this the kind of stuff you were getting at? 

Signature 

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Jeff Ricks:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

I agree.  That's why I said "I think..."  I'm think through the whole issue.  There is something that is bothering me about how we are talking about thinking, but I'm having trouble figuring it out and articulating it.  I think, in part, it's related to the burden of proof.  I know that "two" exists in my mind so I can think about it.  I know my coffee table exists outside my mind because I can bruise my shin on it.  What reason would I have for concluding that there is a thing called "twoness" that exists outside my mind?

My response to that is that regardless of what we might call it (two, dos, deux, peanut butter, etc.) what gives it the characteristics of two (one, plus another one), as opposed to having the characteristics of one, or nine, is 'self-defined' for lack of a better word (maybe, "inherent" is a better word).  No humans are needed to imbue it with the characteristics of 'two' (its "two-ness"), only to recognize it.  

This is somewhat comparable to our agreed conclusion that no humans are needed to imbue an undiscovered, but existing planet, with existence.  It's characteristic of existing is inherent.  

Signature 

- Joseph Campbell

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Jeff Ricks:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Jeff Ricks:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

My response to that is that regardless of what we might call it (two, dos, deux, peanut butter, etc.) what gives it the characteristics of two (one, plus another one), as opposed to having the characteristics of one, or nine, is 'self-defined' for lack of a better word (maybe, "inherent" is a better word).  No humans are needed to imbue it with the characteristics of 'two' (its "two-ness"), only to recognize it.  

This is somewhat comparable to our agreed conclusion that no humans are needed to imbue an undiscovered, but existing planet, with existence.  It's characteristic of existing is inherent.  

Well, this may be the fundamental point of departure between you and me.  I'll have to noodle it some more.  

Signature 

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Jeff Ricks:

Brad, I also think we need an additional category called, "exists as objects of thought" because some things that exist as objects of thought can also have a material counterpart, which means that "exists only as objects of thought" excludes such objects.

To clarify what I mean consider that the abstract concept, Abraham Lincoln, presently exists only as an object of thought, but when he was alive there was also a material counterpart.  The abstract concept didn't come into existence when he died, it came into existence when he was born and continues today.  When he was alive the abstract concept and the material counterpart existed concurrently  Agreed?

I don't agree (yet).  The concept of "counterpart" is new, I think.  Let me think about that for a bit.

If we agree that thoughts exist, then I think we have to agree that thoughts about a thing that exists materially, and the thing itself, exist concurrently.  

I would say that "coffee table" "dining room table" and "numbers" exist only as the object of thoughts.  Without human thought, they have no existence at all. 

Without human (intelligent) thought, then yes, they have no existence.  This is similar to the statement, "With a universe, the contents of the universe have no existence."

Just so I understand, you're distinguishing between "objects of thought" and "the material thing the object of thought is about".  You and Brad are only saying that the former do not exist without human (intelligent) thought.  The latter (e.g. the actual, materially-existing coffee table in my living room) will continue to exist regardless of whether every human being suddenly winks out of existence.  Correct? 

I think that's correct.

I'm having trouble with how to think about thinking.  We're saying that thinking involves two things -- a "thought" and and "object of a thought"  But I keep flipping back and forth as to whether the disctinction is really valid.  Here's what I'm thinking (inspired by Jeff's notion of "experience")

There is a material thing called "Brad Hudson's Body."  When it moves in a particular way, we attach the verb "walking."  When it moves in a different way, we call it "running,"  when it moves in a different way, we call it "gasping for breath becuase Brad's body is really out of shape."  

That made me chuckle.  I know the feeling! 

I'm tempted to say that "walking" and "running" and "gasping" don't exist, as they are merely labels we attach to certain kinds of physical activity.   Or, if they exist, they exist only as a mental construct.

Likewise with "thinking."   Rather than talk about "thought" and "object of a thought," should we instead be using "thinking" and "the object of thinking."  The difference, of course, is that the former results in two "things," while the latter only one.

Jeff, when you talked earlier about the concept that verbs are actually more important than nouns, is this the kind of stuff you were getting at? 

Yes, I believe it is.  I'm not quite sure that I'm dialed into your perspective on the above yet, but if I am then it occurs to me that rather than framing the question, "Does it exist?" perhaps  we should frame it as something like, "Is it happening?"  This shift in terminology is along the lines of what David Bohm proposes and is why he postulates that our problem with understanding the universe stems from our choice to divide up the universe into things, when there are no things, only "happenings."  I still struggle with shifting to Bohm's perspective without shifting immediately back.  It reminds me of this illustration that is both a beautiful woman and an ugly hag depending on how you see it.  It's like our conversation, that from one perspective it's elegant and beautiful (what Bohm calles the "Implicate Order") and from the other it's troublesome (what Bohm calls, hopelessly fragmented).

[ETA: Some edits for clarification] 

Signature 

- Joseph Campbell

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

I should clarify that from Bohm's perspective, the subject of our conversation, not specifically OUR conversation, is troublesome from one perspective, and is elegant and beautiful from the other.
 Signature 

- Joseph Campbell

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-18

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

I'm still struggling with this notion of forms.  My first reaction, I guess like Artistotle's, was to treat forms as not existing because it made more sense to consider forms a part or aspect of the material things themselves.  However, I was concerned that doing so at an early stage of the argument would simply rule out the possible existence of the immaterial without any real justification for doing so.  I'm not sure that, at the end of the day, my personal conclusion won't be that our new third category really belongs in "things that don't exist"

I think I agree with this view but, just to muddy the water further, philosophers have distinguished between immaterial concepts that come into existence only when a thinker thinks them into existence (e.g., the first time someone imagined a unicorn or a horseless carriage) and eternal, immaterial concepts that that are "discovered" whenever a thinker emerges to discover them (e.g. math concepts such as 2+2=4).  Plato considered his forms (e.g. "Jeff Ricks-ness" and "chairness") to belong to the latter category - the category of "universals".  

With that said, I must sign off until next Monday.  I look forward to reading what further progress the great Postmo minds will make while I'm away!

Signature 

Why do I think reading is important? It is such an effective medium between mind and mind. We think largely in words. A medium made only of words doesn’t impose the barrier of any other medium. It is naked and unprotected communication. That’s how you get pregnant. May you always be so. – Roger Ebert
There’s a beautiful, progressive Canadian-­European country here in America. It’s just surrounded by rednecks. - Bill Maher
Ignorance is not bliss…it’s ignorance. - Itinerant

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Itinerant:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

I think I agree with this view but, just to muddy the water further, philosophers have distinguished between immaterial concepts that come into existence only when a thinker thinks them into existence (e.g., the first time someone imagined a unicorn or a horseless carriage) and eternal, immaterial concepts that that are "discovered" whenever a thinker emerges to discover them (e.g. math concepts such as 2+2=4).  Plato considered his forms (e.g. "Jeff Ricks-ness" and "chairness") to belong to the latter category - the category of "universals".  

With that said, I must sign off until next Monday.  I look forward to reading what further progress the great Postmo minds will make while I'm away!

That's an interesting concept, but it has me scratching my head trying to figure out how we could distinguish the two types of immaterial concepts.  

Signature 

Phillip K. Dick

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:
Jeff Ricks:

son of perdition:

That's an interesting concept, but it has me scratching my head trying to figure out how we could distinguish the two types of immaterial concepts.  

That's precisely the reason that earlier I introduced to our conversation, "...has a material counterpart."  A unicorn hasn't, and as far as we know never will have, a material counterpart.  An irrational number never will, and it appears to me that God never will.  Certainly the Holy Ghost won't  .

"Jeff Ricks-ness" and "chair-ness" can have, and at times do have, a material counterpart.

[ETA: Actually, instead of "has a material counterpart" it should be "can have a material counterpart.]

Signature 

- Joseph Campbell

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-03-29

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Jeff Ricks:

Brad (ZeeZrom):
Itinerant:

Yes.

Then how do you account for the fact that humans are not the only animals that can count?  

You can jump to the conclusion section of this to get an idea of some of the things we are learning about what other animals think.

It would seem that some other animals have greater cognitive abilities than we realize. Dogs have taught me a lot in this area. In fact, my current dog can read 4 words on flash cards. I know that is just anectdotal evidence, but we taught her the words after seeing a documentary about a psychologist who had done the same thing (but with more words as well as simple pictures) with her dog. And of course, it isn't just dogs, but other primates, birds, and I believe cetaceans as well as others.

In short, it is rather egocentric of us as humans to assume that we are the only ones who comprehend abstract things.

How does this impact our discussion and the chart? If it needs to go on the shelf for now, that's okay too.  

Signature 

“...I believe that if there is a future life, the best possible preparation for it is to do the very best we can here and now.
I believe that love for our fellow-men is infinitely nobler, better, and more necessary than love for God.
I believe that men, women and children need our best thoughts, our tenderest consideration, and our earnest sympathy.
I believe that God can get on just as well without any of these as with them.
If he wants anything he can get it without our assistance. It is people with limitations, not gods without limitations, who need and should have our aid…
If a life that embraces this line of action does not fit a man for heaven, and if faith in vicarious atonement will, then such a heaven is not worth going to, and its god would be unworthy to make a good man’s acquaintance.” Helen H Gardener, Men, Women, and Gods, 1885

8 of 8

‹‹ Atheists      Black sheep picture? ››

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
All Fun and Games
Celestial Wedgie
fauxmon
former victim
Lord of Darkness
That Will Do
Troubled Wife