Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

THE LONG HISTORY LEADING TO THE “MORMON MOMENT” OF TODAY

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-08

This article does a good job of explaining the entire history of Mormonism and it's cycles of non-acceptance and acceptance by the American people.  I very much recognized and remember the more recent ups and downs.  This is long, but if you'd like an overview of how the church got to where it is with the country and religious groups, you'll want to read this.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-30

thanks suzyq - link to first page is here:

http://religionandpolitics.org/2012/05/17/the-long-approach-to-the-mormon-moment/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-08

rod holland:

thanks suzyq - link to first page is here:

http://religionandpolitics.org/2012/05/17/the-long-approach-to-the-mormon-moment/

Thanks -- I thought for sure I had back-spaced to the first page before linking to it.

Signature 

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17

I think that proposition 8 has had a huge impact on how Americans view Mormonism.  Some of the misinformation that was being spread by Mormons was quite hateful, and it appeared that the Mormon church was trying to get support from other right-wing Christian denominations by being so anti-gay.

As someone who comes from a familly with a non-Mormon Christian background, I know that Mormonism has a zero percent probablility of ever gaining much support from the non-Mormon Christian backgrounds.  They believe that if someone worships a false prophet they are really worshipping Satan, and, not only will they go to hell, they are spreading the word of Satan.  There is a lot of evidence that Joseph Smith was a false prophet, particularly on the internet, and it just doesn't matter if Mormons otherwise agree with the evangelical Christians.

Proposition 8 also offended the liberals, for obvious reasons.

Turning now to atheists, the other group mentioned.  Atheists used to take the attitude that it is mean to burst the bubble of people who believed in religion.  However, the Christian right has really offended younger people with its anti-gay stuff, and 911 has also made a lot of atheists feel that religion is anything but harmless.  So, atheists are now aggressively trying to point out the absurdities of religions, particularly for those religions that have a strong tendency to argue against civil rights.  Mormonism is one such religion.

So, that is my take on the reasons why Mormonism is unpopular among non-mormons these days.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-30

Thoughtful comments AM.  Everyone believes that people make up religions or are tricked into believing someone elses made-up religion.  Some people think all religion is imagination, methaphor and allegory; others think they all are - except for theirs.

But religions contain large of amounts of contemporary culture and their influence and popularity wax and wane depending on the interaction of the religion with the dominant cultural norms - as you pointed out.

Mormonism will continue to adapt, but it will never again be able to reclaim many positions it held in the 70's and 80's - the time period when I matured and started to raise a family in the church.  I think the church is in an uncertain time period - unable to reconcile its recent past with a growing body of contradictory facts.

Your point about the perception of evangelicals regarding JS was interesting.  We often discuss here, in a personal way, the credibility the church has lost with its treatment of the life of JS, confusion with its doctrine, and the BofA.   I had not considered the effect you mention - the undercutting of the church's view of itself as somehow having the moral high ground in its proselyting efforts among other believers.  I haven't talked to missionaries about religion in over a decade, but I can't imagine how hard it must be now to create a plausible reason for conversion. 

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17

I'm glad that was helpful to you.  My cousin, who has recently converted did his missionary work with Spanish-speaking monolinguals in Texas.  The Mormon church has come to realize that it has become considerably more difficult to proselytize to English speaking people with access to the internet, but, untill all the dirt about Mormonism gets translated into Spanish, Spanish-speaking people seem more susceptible.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-30

that makes sense

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
CdnXMo
Curious NeverMo

Logged in: 2
Not logged in: 78
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9608
Carolinas Get Together - Some fun in the Sun!
by John E. Baker, III [was GraciesDaddy]
A Rare and Beautiful Thing
by Mountainhippie
Do You Still Believe in God?
by Brad (ZeeZrom)
TBM Tinder Date
by Celestial Wedgie
Latter Gay Saints
by Ex_aedibus
KATE KELLY'S APPEAL
by Swearing Elder
Some things I've learned that I believe are helping me