FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

OT looking for employment

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

I am hoping that my postmo peeps might be able to help me out with any job opportunities in the SLC area.

I have a background in accounting (perticularly legal accounting) and experience in billing, AP, AR, etc.  I have strong data entry skills, including 10 key.  Good at Word and Excel.  Really just any type of office work. I also was a legal secretary for a while.

I went apostate in the middle of my LDSBC accounting degree and that sucks since their credits are non transferable.  I also have been out of the workforce for over 8 years (with the exception of last year when I was working full time but that didn't work out).

My huge nearly 8 year gap looks bad on paper and the thought of updating my resume is giving me anxiety.  I'm trying to work up to that.

I'm looking for something legit.  No MLM or sell at home stuff.

My kid goes to a special need school and is off on Wednesdays and my daughter goes to am kindergarten so I have some time but not a lot.  I would need a flexible schedule.

I can't say that I regret staying at home with my kids but I do regret choosing a crappy school where I can no longer attend and where my credits don't transfer anywhere else.  I feel really stuck right now.

I must not be good at filtering searches on Monster because there really seems to be nothing under "part time" but a few retail sales positions.

Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

I Do Not Like It (My plea to all secular leaders in the USA.)Please do not place me in a box, I do not get my news from Fox.  I don’t teach magic in my house.  I won’t be silent like a mouse.  No more “god speak” here and there.  BUTT OUT, leaders, EVERYWHERE!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-27

Move to North Dakota where jobs are plentiful and workers needed. In Minot, ND McDonalds is paying $14 per hour to start. Olive Garden pays dishwashers $22 per hour. Oil companies and service suppliers are all paying well and there is the need for over 25,000 workers now. Move from the cloistered Utah area and make a living.
 Signature 

My dog has Health in the navel. marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and in the sinews…

He does not, however - have power in the Priesthood.

That is reserved for the Cat.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

I'll be sure to tell my husband tonight when he gets home from work that we need to put both our homes on the (incredibly shitty) market and he needs to quit his government job with insuance and benefits so that we can start over in North Dakota, which would also mean finding a new special needs school for our kid.  Ha ha. 

Goodness, I find life in SLC challenging enough.  I don't think North Dakota would be much better on my mental health.  A blue state maybe...

I'm just looking for 20 hours a week here.  If anybody has any info on how I can find a 20 hour job in SLC I'd appreciate it.

Signature 

I Do Not Like It (My plea to all secular leaders in the USA.)Please do not place me in a box, I do not get my news from Fox.  I don’t teach magic in my house.  I won’t be silent like a mouse.  No more “god speak” here and there.  BUTT OUT, leaders, EVERYWHERE!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-27

You are looking for something on YOUR terms. Few employers anywhere want someone like that. Start your own accounting or bookkeeping business and see how you do. I'm reading excuses and a bit of entitlement here and it doesn't look as if you really want a job.
 Signature 

My dog has Health in the navel. marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and in the sinews…

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-26

Nephi:
You are looking for something on YOUR terms. Few employers anywhere want someone like that. Start your own accounting or bookkeeping business and see how you do. I'm reading excuses and a bit of entitlement here and it doesn't look as if you really want a job.

Wow, patronizing much?

How was your suggestion to uproot her family and move to another state really very helpful? She shot that down because it was an impractical suggestion and to you, that means she's making excuses, feels entitled and doesn't really want a job? 

What's your problem man? 

Apostategal, if I lived in the area and knew of something, I would let you know. 

Idea: Have you contacted any of the temp agencies? I found that a great way to get part time work: if an assignment comes up that doesn't work for your schedule, you simply decline. Usually, you get short-term assignments, maybe a few days at a time, covering for someone who is on vacation or family leave or something like that. It sounds like, with your skills, you should test well (they give skills assessments and then try to match you up with jobs requiring your skill sets) and at least be able to take on some assignments. The best part: if you work somewhere a few days (or even a few hours) and don't like it, you call your agency and ask to be unassigned. Sometimes they have another assignment that could be a better fit. The drawbacks: You can't plan for anything because you never know when you will get a call that some office needs you somewhere. Also, no benefits, but that wouldn't be a concern in your case because your husband carries the medical coverage, right? 

That's all I've got for now. I supported myself for almost two years through temp agencies. It's a great way to get a foot in the door and often, if you do good work and the employer likes you, they are sometimes willing to buy you out from the temp agency and hire you on permanently. Some large companies offer flexible scheduling and things like job sharing (you work 8-12, someone else does the same job from 1-5, or you trade off days). 

Good luck! 

Signature 

Formerly known as “Dogzilla.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

My observation is that unemployed people are generally demeaned and blamed for their situation by people who have had the good fortune to retain employment.  Sadly, that includes interviewers/potential employers.  Being unemployed and over 50 in the world these days is a kiss of death.  No one wants to talk to you, no one wants to be around you.  It is a depressing spiral that gains momentum and devours your sense of purpose and worth.

All in all, unemployed people don't need to be told to 'buck up', move or adjust their attitude.  If you ain't unemployed, don't be so critical... 

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-26

YesIAmAPyr:

My observation is that unemployed people are generally demeaned and blamed for their situation by people who have had the good fortune to retain employment.  Sadly, that includes interviewers/potential employers.  Being unemployed and over 50 in the world these days is a kiss of death.  No one wants to talk to you, no one wants to be around you.  It is a depressing spiral that gains momentum and devours your sense of purpose and worth.

All in all, unemployed people don't need to be told to 'buck up', move or adjust their attitude.  If you ain't unemployed, don't be so critical... 

I couldn't agree more, which is why I tried to at least offer some sort of productive, helpful suggestion.

This also explains my nearly irrational fear of unemployment. I don't have a spouse, much of a savings, or any safety net whatsoever. If I'm unemployed for longer than a month, I am screwed. Like, living in a cardboard box under the freeway screwed. 

Signature 

Formerly known as “Dogzilla.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-06

Apostate Gal - Sorry to say I'm in AZ, not Utah so I wouldn't be much help in finding you work..but I am in HR so might be able to give you some tips.

First of all, you are correct with the "big job boards" not being able to filter out what your needs are specifically for a good match.  I would skip them and try a couple of other places first.  

Have you gone to http://www.craigslist.org?  If you search in your specific location you not only can search by "type" of job..such as Accounting, but they also have a place for part time work.  I know a bunch of folks that have found part time work there.

Secondly, try http://www.indeed.com.  It pulls from all the major job sites, but it also pulls from company websites too.  It might be of help or not...filter what you can based on your needs and that might get you some more resources.

Unsolicited resumes to HR sometimes don't go over well.  I know a lot of people that recommend doing that, but honestly, most companies have folks apply online, they don't random resumes being faxed over, dropped off, mailed or emailed unsolicited.

Lastly, do not overlook staffing/temporary agencies.  Many companies use them to fill their needs when they have jobs that are less than 40 hours a week.  You also can let them know your scheduling requirements ahead of time so when they present that to their client it may come off better...if that makes sense.

Hope that helps a little.  If you have specific questions, please feel free to send me a message.  Good luck with your search! 

Signature 

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Nephi:

Nephi, your post does not comply with our house rules.  If you can't be supportive of a poster in a thread, please don't post.

Signature 

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.

Phillip K. Dick

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

Thanks, Dogzilla, Brad, Mrs. Jello, Pirate.

Looks like somebody's got a case of the "Romneys".

Dogzilla, employment agencies are a good idea.  Thanks for the reminder.  I actually have done well with them in the past.  I didn't end up getting placed with one, but they liked me.  They usually give lots of standardized tests and I tend to do well on those. 

At my last job at the post office where I worked for most of 2011, they implemented a huge change in policy where everybody (over 1000 employees) had to reapply for their jobs and this included retaking the hiring test that I had taken six months prior because I was new.  I did so well the second time I took the test that they not only rehired me but they offered me a career position a few months later.  This, btw, was a position that I was really grossly underqualified for.  The nimrods offered this position based solely on test score instead of things like typing speed, accuracy, etc.  All the things that really count.   Since I was so new, I really hadn't had time to build up a top speed.  There were probably hundreds of people more "qualified" than me but I scored a 95 so I was offered a position and then I BARELY  didn't pass probation because my data entry speed was a smidge too low after 90 days.  It actually was up to speed but when they printed up my reports, they went a month back instead of a week back and since I had barely gotten up to speed but hadn't been there for long enough, they gave me the ax a week before Christmas while we were in escrow.

Sigh.  I was terrified of going back to work before I did in 2011 but I pushed past my fear and did it and now I have another smudge on my resume.  Fired.  For being barely under speed (as the newest employee under probation for a career position) and for getting debilitating food poisoning and missing work (with a doctors note btw).  It's depressing.

Anyway, I appreciate the support.  I know I would make a good employee for at least a few employers out there ;) but my fear of failure keeps me from wanting to try.  I don't need anybody telling me how ridiculous this is because I know.  Right now I'm suffering from a confidence complex and I am just trying to push past it.  I pushed past it in 2011 (and believe me it was HARD) and then it ended pretty shitily so it's hard to get back up on the horse again.  I don't need to work, which is fortunate, but because of that, I have a hard time pushing past the anxiety and fear.  I would like to go back to work even though I don't necessarily need to but I'm just trying to find something that's a good fit.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-12

Hey AG - first, good luck and many positive vibes your way. 

I am employed right now but looking hard for a new situation - my boss might best be described as a passive-agressive bi-polar psychic vampire. Causes huge turnover and lots of burn out. 

ANYWAY, enough of my woes. 

Yes, try the temp agencies. 

Craigslist can be a good source, but be very very very careful - some of what is on there is scams. NEVER send personal information beyond your basic resume and cover letter to anything there until you know where it is going and that it is a real company with a real job. 

When you get your resume done, make sure to have a couple of copies of it with you at all times. You never know when you will talk to a small-business type who actually needs exactly what you offer and in your time frame. Might not pay the best, but will often be more flexible. (In the past I put a simplified version of the resume - name, contact info, basic outline of skills, not all the details - on a half sheet of paper that I hole-punched and put in my Franklin Planner. Made me look very prepared and got me a couple of interviews and one job offer.)

The worst part about searching, to me, is the online application process. Takes up to an hour to do each one, and often feels like a black hole because there is no feedback and the computer is looking for certain key-words and if they are not there you don't even get seen by a human. Very common with larger companies, not so much with smaller ones. HOWEVER, all companies have a LOT of applications right now, so be aware that you have stiff competition. Not to discourage you, but to be realistic submitting a LOT of resumes and applications to get in to talk to somebody.

Be as honest with a potential employer about your time limits as you have been here. I do some hiring in my current position, and I hate hate hate when somebody gets in to see me by claiming to have the availability we need and then after they are hired all of a sudden they have a list of limits and times they cannot work. 

Another suggestion - see what resources are available from your local community college, from the county, and non-profit-type organizations. They can help with your resume, have training available, will help you brush up on your interview skills, and so on. You may know some of that, but if you go through their process you may find you get a lot of help and access to job openings. Lots of times if employers hire people from a program like that they get tax breaks or other incentives. 

Good luck. 

Signature 

“All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended.” -Robert Frobisher, Cloud Atlas

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-12

Nephi:

No.

She is being realistic and honest about her needs and her limits. I hire people in my job. Want to piss me off really bad? Tell me you can work anytime when I hire you, and then get in the door and suddenly have all sorts of time limits and problems. 

And how does it make sense to abandon two homes and a full time government position her husband has to move the whole family to another state and try to find a place to live and situate the kids and try to find jobs with benefits. In North Dakota. 

Yeah, she does want a job. She wants something that will work for her and her family. There is a balance. 

Signature 

“All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended.” -Robert Frobisher, Cloud Atlas

RankRank
Joined  2011-01-12

I recommend looking at the University of Utah job page. There's openings all the time for admin assistants. SOme people say you have to be connected to get a job there or be already working there. However, I didn't and I got a job there and have been there for two years. It's always worth a shot.
 Signature 

Formerly known as NorthIdahoVandal

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-19

Nephi:
Move to North Dakota where jobs are plentiful and workers needed. In Minot, ND McDonalds is paying $14 per hour to start. Olive Garden pays dishwashers $22 per hour. Oil companies and service suppliers are all paying well and there is the need for over 25,000 workers now. Move from the cloistered Utah area and make a living.

There also is nowhere to live... rooms are renting for $1000+ a month up there (literally just a small room with a bed in it) because of the job boom. You make good money, but unless you want to live in a camp trailer that you tow up there and park in the middle of coyote freezing cold nowhere, then you lose a lot of your check in capitalistic rent costs. You also have to live in North Dakota. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

It is very difficult to be a "stay-at-home" mum, cracking back into the job fishbowl.

If you have access to a local Library, crack into the "wanted ads" of the local rags...and phone up.

Help-wanted signs and volunteering for a time, can occasionally build up your resume...and others may hire you, when they know you.

With your special-needs child...ask the school if there isn't some way to work part-time there.

With your experience...they may really need you and might pay you.

Also the special-needs groups have folks manning them, who can network you in.

"Turn" and other groups that care for special-needs adults, are always looking for folks, it pays a bit higher then minimum-wage...but you can work around your own scheduling.

People come and go in those jobs, frequently.

Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-27

Sorry folks, but I stand by what I wrote. Giving 'support' that is unrealistic is not a good thing.

I am familiar with North Dakota as I've been helping friends with Harvest on and off for more than 10 years and at times house sitting through the winters for them as they attended family medical needs at Mayo Clinic and have to stay there for ongoing treatment.

With the winters and the people I have found North Dakota to be much nicer than Utah and Idaho ever were. Mountains in Idaho were as cold where we lived. People in North Dakota have been more friendly and helpful than either Idaho or Utah ever were.

Yes, the place costs. But if you want jobs you move to where they are and live with it. I suggested she start her own business. Somehow you folks missed that one. Stay at home and service clients and bring in the extra money she seems to want - and have all the responsibility as well - if she can handle it. 

Telling someone all will be OK is not support, telling them reality is even if it is not popular.

Signature 

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Nephi:

Sorry folks, but I stand by what I wrote. Giving 'support' that is unrealistic is not a good thing.

I am familiar with North Dakota as I've been helping friends with Harvest on and off for more than 10 years and at times house sitting through the winters for them as they attended family medical needs at Mayo Clinic and have to stay there for ongoing treatment.

With the winters and the people I have found North Dakota to be much nicer than Utah and Idaho ever were. Mountains in Idaho were as cold where we lived. People in North Dakota have been more friendly and helpful than either Idaho or Utah ever were.

Yes, the place costs. But if you want jobs you move to where they are and live with it. I suggested she start her own business. Somehow you folks missed that one. Stay at home and service clients and bring in the extra money she seems to want - and have all the responsibility as well - if she can handle it. 

Telling someone all will be OK is not support, telling them reality is even if it is not popular.

So, all the other advice and suggestions given to Apostategal were "unrealistic," but yours to "move to North Dakota" was "reality"?

Telling people who come here looking for advice or support to quit whining and get off their lazy, entitled asses may make you feel superior, but in "reality" it's just plain arrogant.

If you want to double down, I'll do the same.  If you can't keep your response to someone seeking help within the house rules requirement of "safe and supportive," don't post in that thread. 

Signature 

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.

Phillip K. Dick

Rank
Joined  2012-09-25

I haven't heard of anyone hiring. I have been looking, but it is so hard right now with so many people with out jobs all trying to get one.

If I hear of anything I will let you know. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

I'm not stupid, Nephi.

I understand my limitations.  I understand what I have done to myself by going to a school that requires an ecclesiastical endorsement and what I have done by exiting the workforce for 8 years.  I understand now that college for me was more than "a nice thing" while it was "essential" for my brothers who were anticipated to be breadwinners while I was anticipated to be a SAHM. 

What I was asking for was some realistic suggestions.  If I were in a better position, like I was a decade ago, I'd just open up the classifieds and find something.  But I'm not so I came here hoping that somebody might know of a company that's hiring for nights or weekends.  No, it's NOT unreasonable to ask for night and weekend work.  Lots of people have jobs where they work those hours.   And no, I am not "entitled".  I never said that I would accept nothing less than [fill in the blank].  In fact, I pretty much expect that if I do find something, it will be making probably 60% of what I was making a year ago and I'm okay with that. 

I'm not asking for anything from anybody.  Other than a few suggestions.  If I were desperate for a job, moving to the midwest might be a good idea.  If I were the sole breadwinner or if I were renting my home or if I were 18 years old again then it might be worth considering.  For me it is not.  You don't need to be offended or insult me because your suggestion wasn't realistic for my situation.  I would appreciate being able to bring home $200 to $400 dollars a month.  And I'm trying to figure out ways I can do that.  Some of the things I've thought of: Opening up and etsy shop (many people have suggested this to me), possibly babysitting (though the people I've talked to expect to pay peanuts in terms of $2.50 / hr for my services and I'm too "entitled" to feel like this is worth it), working retail, etc.

I've had some good suggestions and even a PM for an offer that could pan out.  To those people, I say thank you.  I'm glad for this community. 

Again, selling two homes in a very down market and uprooting my family and forfeiting my husband's government job with benefits where he is on track to retire at 50 and start collecting a pension so that we can move somwhere where wages are high but housing is incredibly expensive in a culture that we would not enjoy is not a viable solution for our family.  It does not make me entitled.  It makes me somebody who does not act impulsively without weighing all the pros and cons of a decision.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-26

AG, you've gotten some good advice. 

I really like the idea of applying at the school where your SN kid goes to school.  In fact, I was going to suggest looking at different schools.

Yep, temp jobs are good, at times, but they've NEVER helped me... they say I have no skill set. (So I must be entitled because I search for work, but my physical limits make it difficult at best to sit for hours, and I cannot walk/stand for more than 10 minutes)

Nephi: I've normally really liked your posts, but you just shocked the "crap" out of me. Brad is handling it well, so I'll stop, but I want you to know that what you wrote was VERY offensive, even to me, who IS looking to move. Sometimes you have to temper your response according to the audience that is receiving it. With that said, I've put my foot in my mouth and swallowed hard MANY times.
 Signature 

You were not born with an expiration date stamped anywhere. Live life. Enjoy it. Don’t believe a doctor who tells you that you’ve only got a limited amount of time to live.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

Troubled Wife:
AG, you've gotten some good advice. 

I really like the idea of applying at the school where your SN kid goes to school.  In fact, I was going to suggest looking at different schools.

Yep, temp jobs are good, at times, but they've NEVER helped me... they say I have no skill set. (So I must be entitled because I search for work, but my physical limits make it difficult at best to sit for hours, and I cannot walk/stand for more than 10 minutes)

Nephi: I've normally really liked your posts, but you just shocked the "crap" out of me. Brad is handling it well, so I'll stop, but I want you to know that what you wrote was VERY offensive, even to me, who IS looking to move. Sometimes you have to temper your response according to the audience that is receiving it. With that said, I've put my foot in my mouth and swallowed hard MANY times.

My kid goes to a school with a staff of two teachers and it's very small.  It's in a home.  There are probably 15 students total.  My daughter's school might be a better idea since she goes to public school and I volunteer there.  Thanks to a fellow postmo, I've gotten an offer for some freelance work that I'm excited to start. 

Relocating to another part of the country is not an entirely bad idea in every situation.  But not for my situation.  Nephi, I'm sorry I responded to your original suggestion in a sarcastic manner and perhaps that's the reason you felt necessary to lash out at me.  I probably should have responded with less sarcasm.  Again, if I were a sole breadwinner or in a desperate position and without a mortgage (two actually) and if my husband didn't have a very good job and if I thought I could move somewhere where wages were high but the cost of living was very low in comparison to the wages, I probably would consider it.  But I've found that in places where wages are quite high, the cost of living usually matches.   

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

SN:
 You also have to live in North Dakota. 

Love this.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-30

Troubled Wife:

you just shocked the "crap" out of me

LITH grabs the mop bucket 

Signature 

MY CLAIM TO FAME: I GOT BANNED FROM A BIGFOOT FORUM. ~me

“....Nineteenth century horndog worshipping prairie crossing cult!”
(LessMon)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

Hi Apostate Gal,

Look into corporate gas and oil companies, even smaller ones.  There is often a need for inputing gas/oil revenues that come in daily.  There will be some training on their software, but it can be quite lucrative.  Having some experience in accounting would be helpful in this area.  I began working for a small oil & gas company a little over a year ago, and with bonuses, my salary has literally doubled.  I understand moving to ND is unrealistic for you, but usually jobs in this industry are still plentiful nationwide. 

Sticking with the oil & gas theme...if you are at all able to get some education in land title work, the demand is incredibly high and where I live/work, the pay is close to $100K a year.  It is not unusual to have head hunters tracking down landman's for work on their oil & gas and minerals leases and offer more lucrative opportunities, even when they are already employed.  Several of my colleagues prefer to work as contract employees so they can set their own hours.  One colleague only needs to work 4-6 months out of the year because of her high salary, and spends the additional time traveling.  With the boom in ND and other areas, wells are ready to be drilled faster than title work is being compelted, so the demand is great for those with this expertise.

And lastly, don't rule out work-from home opportunities.  I have supplemented my monthly income without leaving home since my business is internet based.  It's been rewarding to watch my income grow (especially in this economy) and brings added security.  I said no for a full year before taking a chance, and the only regret I have is not doing it sooner. 

Hope that helps.  Good luck to you!

~MsGabbie

Signature 

~MsGabbie :)

http://takingonmothernature.wordpress.com

I didn’t leave because I wanted to sin.  I left because I wanted a life!  The “sinning” was merely a bonus.

Ignorance is NOT bliss….it’s just ignorance!

To wonder is to begin to understand.

All animals dream.  Only dogs dream of us.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-08

I know I am late to the party but I do have some experience trying to get a job with no experience and employment gaps. Maybe while you do your freelance AG you could go check "Resumes for Dummies" from the dummy series from the library. That book saved my self esteem and gave me a kick ass resume. It showed me how to really emphasise my strong points and de-emphasise my gaps.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-28

Mysticfied:
I know I am late to the party but I do have some experience trying to get a job with no experience and employment gaps. Maybe while you do your freelance AG you could go check "Resumes for Dummies" from the dummy series from the library. That book saved my self esteem and gave me a kick ass resume. It showed me how to really emphasise my strong points and de-emphasise my gaps.

That's a good idea.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have to update it some day so I might as well. 

My biggest problem is that when I was younger, I did a lot of job hopping.  I mean like 15 years ago.  Granted, it was usually for something better, but if there's a book out there that could take the focus off of those 3 month jobs that would really be fawsome!

I love postmos.  Even the ones who keep me laughing. 

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-03-08

It does it by formatting. The Dummies book said the important part was to list out what skills you excelled at or things you did well. So, I started with my longer jobs, or some of the short ones I excelled at with bullet points with the dates in smaller print in short form off to the side and jobs not in order by date. That way the person reading the resume is all caught up in what you did well and might not even see the dates or really pay attention as they are not what the resume is focusing on. The book went through allot of different formates and I have been able to help a handful of people get jobs after reading it by reformatting their resume. The book was well worth the read. The other suggestion was to list jobs by type and make a generalised list. For instance I knew a guy who worked for 14 companies in the same industry. So I took a 4 page resume to one page by putting - ___________  for multiple companies, and then listing the stuff he did well at or gained experience with. This unfortunately for me got him a factory supervisor job and he left the place I was working, but was good for him. It really opened my eyes to allot of possibilities and different formates. Also, the Evil HR Lady is amazing.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
danboyle2

Logged in: 1
Not logged in: 73
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9736
If Satan is the Father of all Lies
by Strong Free & Thankful
OT: Know Anyone With MS?