Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

MORMONS IN THE NEWS ?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-21

From the local newspapers website:

The Gilbert man run over by his wife this weekend -- as she allegedly blamed him for President Obama's re-election -- may have "permanent disfigurement" as a result, according to court documents obtained by New Times.

Daniel Solomon, who was in critical condition yesterday in the trauma center at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, told police that his wife started arguing with him over his "lack of voter participation" last week, specifically in the presidential race.

See also:
-
Holly Solomon Blames Husband for Obama's Re-Election, Rams Him With Her Car

"According to Daniel, Holly believed her family was going to face hardship as a result of President Obama's re-election," Gilbert police Sergeant Jesse Sanger said in an e-mail.

Witnesses told police that there was a lot of yelling before Holly Solomon hopped in her Jeep, and started chasing her husband around the parking lot. Her husband eventually tried to run away, but Solomon hit him, pinning him under the car and on a curb, according to police.

As we mentioned yesterday, had Daniel Solomon voted, and voted for Obama about 200,000 times, Mitt Romney still would've won Arizona's 11 electoral votes, so it's not clear where Holly Solomon got this idea that it was her husband's fault.

Also, there's a lot more "hardship" going on in her family right now, with her husband in the hospital, and Solomon's bond being set at $50,000 on two felony charges and one misdemeanor.

According to the court documents, Daniel Solomon's pelvis was fractured, and the arteries that feed his bowels were torn. Hospital staff also told police it's possible that Solomon will have "permanent disfiguration."

The charges against Holly Solomon -- reckless driving, disorderly conduct with a weapon, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon -- have been forwarded to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.

and now the punch line.......

http://mormon.org/me/681k

Signature 

“Truth Restored”....unless it becomes embarrassing, then we’ll change it.

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

"I am...the wife to a wonderful husband. I love my family and they are the most important thing in my life." She forgot to add, "Next to getting that damn seed of Cain out of the White House." Ironically, Romney got 100% of the electoral votes for Arizona. Her husband's vote wouldn't have changed a damn thing.
 Signature 

“The truth is a lot easier to see when you stop assuming you already have it” - Me

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08

Since channel 4 in SLC always likes to point out the "Utah connection" to stories (even if the ONLY "connection" is the fact that someone in the story is Mormon) I called their tip line and gave them Holly's mormon.org link. 

LOL
 Signature 

“The truth is a lot easier to see when you stop assuming you already have it” - Me

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-21

Nortinski:
Since channel 4 in SLC always likes to point out the "Utah connection" to stories (even if the ONLY "connection" is the fact that someone in the story is Mormon) I called their tip line and gave them Holly's mormon.org link. 

LOL

LMAO!  I don't think the morg wants this connected to them in any way... aww too bad.  She is an absolute nut case.  Maybe all the money she saved decorating her house (see her profile) can go to pay her $50,000 bail! 

Edit:  Btw I feel absolutely awful for the guy and really hope he makes a full recovery.  Their babies at least need a sane father.  It breaks my heart to think they would be without both parents. :(

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

This is too funny!  I copied this one for my collection.  Mormonism makes people blooming Crazy!

(I am adding this edit that this incident was not funny for this poor man who probably is just trying to do the right thing as is poor brainwashed, overloaded Holly.  I feel sorry for the husband whose body may never be the same again.  Just another example of the Morg hurting people and taking no responsibility.

What is funny is that none of the pretend priesthood authorities who chose Holly as a Church spokesperson had any inspiration that she was nuts nor that the Church probably made her that way. )

Signature 

“Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

Dalin Hoax

Ye shall know them by their fruits! 

Signature 

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-11

Is there any verification that they're the same person, besides their similar appearance and first name? Just trying to get all the facts straight. From her mugshot on the Phoenix New Times story, it doesn't appear that she's wearing magical undergarments. I'd expect a lifelong member with that much love for Romney to be sporting some. For the record, I hope they're the same person. I love all things that make Mormons uncomfortable. Having said that, I hope the husband is going to be ok.
 Signature 

“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.” ~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-11

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/viewart/20121114/WDH01/311140330

The pic accompanying that story makes me doubt they're the same person. Doesn't mean she isn't Mormon.  But she's probably not the person in the "I'm a Mormon" profile.

Signature 

“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.” ~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-08-25

Someone wrote:

"Just another example of the Morg hurting people and taking no responsibility."

WTF?  I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame the church for this incident.  Certainly, being a member of the church didn't make her a better person, but how can it be said that this an example of the Morg is hurting people and taking no responsibilty?  Did anyone ask the church to take responsibilty for this sicko running over husband and they refused? 

I have no love for the lds church, but I've been a member all of my life (77 yrs) and probably subjected to much the same crap as anybody else and I have never had the urge to go wacko and run my spouse over with my car.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Good old Mitty's racism is peeking out.....oh dear.... www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-romney-donors-20121115,0,1719033.story
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Ohwhatodo:

Someone wrote:

WTF?  I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame the church for this incident.  Certainly, being a member of the church didn't make her a better person, but how can it be said that this an example of the Morg is hurting people and taking no responsibilty?  Did anyone ask the church to take responsibilty for this sicko running over husband and they refused? 

I have no love for the lds church, but I've been a member all of my life (77 yrs) and probably subjected to much the same crap as anybody else and I have never had the urge to go wacko and run my spouse over with my car.

I can certainly make a case for the Mormon Church hurting people from the crazy things my family has done and is doing because they live a life of fear that they may not win the prize or that someone they love may not be there even if they make it.  I know because--though I am ashamed to say it--I used to be one of those crazies.  And yes--the teachings from the Mormon Church--based on fear-- did that to me.  No, I do not know all the circumstances of Holly who ran her husband down, but I do know that the Mormon Church makes people crazy and steals their peace by filling them with fear.  I also know that if these TBMs were told the whole truth--many would choose to be free of it all and be angry that they were lied to.  Proof is in the posts here on PostMormon.org.

If I shared some of the things Mormonism has contributed to my family doing--which I won't--the time will come for that--but if I did-- it would read like a horror story.  The Church made a lot of Mormons think Mitt had to win because of the White Horse Prophecy.  It does not matter that this came from the early days of the Church--it still came from the Church.  If you think Mitt is the only one who is shell shocked--check facebook and twitter coming from Utah.  No, I do not know that this is why Holly did this but I can tell you that I would not dare go into a gathering of my TBM family and say I was happy that Obama won.  Just saying that the Mormon Church has ruined the lives of millions and takes no responsiblity.   If I sound like I am damned mad over what they have done to my family and to me--then you are hearing me correctly.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Matter Unorganized:

Dalin Hoax

"Ye shall also know my will by the treadmarks across your face, and I will pin your pelvis, yeah even your evil non-voting pelvis, under my holy Hummer.  Whether pinned under my Hummer, or the Hummer of my servants, it is the same.  Thus saith the Lord."

Signature 

“I have not yet begun to fight” - John Paul Jones

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-08-25

Strong, Free and Thankful wrote:

"If I sound like I am damned mad over what they have done to my family and to me--then you are hearing me correctly."

You must have lived in or now live in The Ward from Hell.  I've lived in many different wards (all in California) and have not had any experience remotely like yours.  Maybe it's different where you are.  I'll repeat what I wrote earlier,  I have no love for the church, so I'm not defending it.  It's a complete sham.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-01

Matter Unorganized:

Dalin Hoax

I hope he's not referring to gay people!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

Elder Wand:

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/viewart/20121114/WDH01/311140330

The pic accompanying that story makes me doubt they're the same person. Doesn't mean she isn't Mormon.  But she's probably not the person in the "I'm a Mormon" profile.

Elder Wand, I agree.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Ohwhatodo:

Strong, Free and Thankful wrote:

"If I sound like I am damned mad over what they have done to my family and to me--then you are hearing me correctly."

You must have lived in or now live in The Ward from Hell.  I've lived in many different wards (all in California) and have not had any experience remotely like yours.  Maybe it's different where you are.  I'll repeat what I wrote earlier,  I have no love for the church, so I'm not defending it.  It's a complete sham.

Ohwhattodo,

Generally the people in the wards are not the problem.  They are poor brainwashed victims.  The doctrine, the brainwashing--and I believe--a form of hypnotism that happens slowly and these folks become almost a form of zombies who will buy into almost anything.  They feed off of each other's irrational beliefs and fears--for sure--but it is the religion itself and the doctrine that is the problem.

The bait is goodness, heaven, forever with you family, etc.  Therefore, Mormonism is holding in bondage of mind some of the best folks out there--people who love their families and want to do nothing but good.  

To buy the farm, you have to buy into some crazy things like:

You may have to spend eternity without someone you really love because they choose to not jump through all the hoops.

You may have to share your husband with who knows how many other wives for eternity.  (I assume you are a man.  Try being a woman and have to live with that in the back of your mind.)

If there are people in your ward/stake who are abusive to you and in power--there is not a lot you can do.  Turn the other cheek baby and suck it up.  Yes, this does happen.

If you know that Joseph Smith married little girls and really believe sometimes God requires such--there is a chance you could buy into it and sacrifice yourself or your child.  Take a look at the FLDS and no they are not that separate from the main Church.  If you research you will find that Warren Jeffs is simply following Joseph Smith's bad example.   FLDS really is a more pure form of Mormonism that JS and BY taught and practiced.  If someone you really trust sets out to convince you that god is asking this sort of sacrifice from you--it can happen easier than you think.

I was reading Arza Evan's book, The Keystone of Mormonism.  He writes of a mission president who called seven young sister missionaries into his office and told them god had restored plural marriage and wanted them each to become his plural wife.  The man was three times their age.  He told them they could know for themselves and to pray about it.  They did and six came back and said they got an answer that they should be his plural wives.  Not FLDS but the mainstream Church here.

One called home and the president was relieved of duty.  Yea for the GA's--right?  No--shame on the GA's for not exposing Joseph Smith long ago and ending the kind of brainwashing that could cause six young women to accept such trash.  If this were to happen to my family, I suspect many would say OK because their testimonies are that strong.  I suspect many TBM's would buy into this abuse as well.  Does that sound like sanity to you?

What if you are fighting for your life and a pretend priesthood holder gives you a priesthood blessing that says you are going to die soon.  What does that do for your hope?  What does that do for your family's hope?  The feel like they are fighting God's will keeping you alive.  That has happened to two members of my family--one with fatal results.  

What if you are a young husband who believes the Church is true but you hate being a part of it so you decide that instead of pretending you will set your wife and two babies free to find a righteous priesthood holder to get them to the CK because it is the right thing to do.  What if after the divorce both you and the wife you left are full of pain for years because you really loved each other and then you are killed.  Your little boy who is now 13 becomes an alcoholic to ease the pain of losing the dad he loves.  This happens to be part of my story.  How would you feel?

I have family who need help financially to get a new start but the only one who helps is the apostate of the family because the TBMs have to pay God's Church and leave it up to god to help family.   

People commit suicide because their families turn on them after they leave as well as teenagers who have fallen into masturbation and feel they are going to hell or born gay like some penguins I read about today.

There is not room enough for me to state the damage the Church has done to my family and and to me so I won't even try but I have seen enough to realize that Mormonism--in my opinion--has nothing on radical Islam and holds the same power over many  many of its members.

Some do break from all the trash, fear and guilt plied upon them.  So forgive me if I jumped too quickly to conclusions but I have to tell you--No damage that comes from Mormonism surprises me anymore.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-03

son of perdition:
Matter Unorganized:

Dalin Hoax

......so please see the church website below:

What are the fruits of Mormonism?

Signature 

The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn.
The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything
....Robert Ingersoll

Rank
Joined  2009-01-13

Hi All, I just wanted to confirm what some of the other folks had stated, that the link you have for Holly is not the same Holly as the woman who ran her husband over. I happen to personally know the other Holly (very nice person btw) in the link and she lives in a different city and has a different last name than the other Holly... smile

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

Thanks for the clarification, Desert Mom.   By the way, I don't think we've ever met: I'm Wedgie.  Welcome to PostMormon! 

Rank
Joined  2009-01-13

Thanks for the welcome Wedgie!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-08

DesertMom:

Wow!  Never had a "welcome wedgie."  ha ha

Signature 

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Isn't that what Bro. Oakes is suffering from in that photo above???
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-10-03

sage:
DesertMom:

Wow!  Never had a "welcome wedgie."  ha ha

Well that can certainly be rectified.  Back your way over here...

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-26

Ohwhatodo:

Someone wrote:

I agree with this.  The church doesn't teach people to run over their spouses.  However, Mormons often brag about how the church alone can take credit for all the good that any Mormon might do or be perceived to do.  I have heard it all the time.  Steve Young could play football because of the WoW and his faithfulness.  Covey was a good business type because of the church and on and on.  If a Mormon does anything of value, Mormons credit the church.  I think it takes a little deprogramming to turn that notion off after you leave the church.  Sometimes postmormons tend to blame church for all the scoundrels in the group and I think it's an equal stretch to do so.

With some time away from the church I have come to think that almost all the time the church is given too much credit or blame.  The church is irrelevant to most people and not as powerful as they think they are.

Signature 

“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Alice in Wonderland.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-08

Hiker Daddy:
Ohwhatodo:

Someone wrote:

I agree with this.  The church doesn't teach people to run over their spouses.  However, Mormons often brag about how the church alone can take credit for all the good that any Mormon might do or be perceived to do.  I have heard it all the time.  Steve Young could play football because of the WoW and his faithfulness.  Covey was a good business type because of the church and on and on.  If a Mormon does anything of value, Mormons credit the church.  I think it takes a little deprogramming to turn that notion off after you leave the church.  Sometimes postmormons tend to blame church for all the scoundrels in the group and I think it's an equal stretch to do so.

With some time away from the church I have come to think that almost all the time the church is given too much credit or blame.  The church is irrelevant to most people and not as powerful as they think they are.

I pretty much agree with the above.  However, when a spouse leaves the fold, the church "culture" has in the past, (and it probably pervades today) taught that the believer should divorce the unbeliever.  It is not doctrine or policy but I believe the church must accept responsibility for what may be a cultural expression of how some interpret the doctrine and the resulting consequenses.  Also, some suicides and incidences of depression are likely a result of the church's implied stance on homosexuality, masturbation and women's roles in society. 

Signature 

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
All_no-ing
Guy
Hi, Kolob
Hopi Bon!
kkellycpa

Logged in: 6
Not logged in: 70
Logged in anonymous: 1