Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Blog on Sunstone essay: Doubt goes better with faith than knowledge

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

Thanks for posting. Almost sounds like Judaism and some flavors of Catholocism.  
 Signature 

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.

Phillip K. Dick

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-27

Always love your posts buff.  Is it even possible to conceive of a time when doubt becomes of greater value than knowledge or knowing?  I mean I could see how that could evolve but I can't see the brethren ever letting this happen. Can you?  
 Signature 

I should have known better
when I caught you wild;
you were incredible,
Never knew you like I know you now,
You are illegible,
Imperceptible the lines that form the screw.

It Kills
Afghan Whigs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzyuivDVMGo

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

No matter how they "bend" it....the niggly doubt will always be there. The advocacy for not condemning members because of it...is a new idea...with old window dressing of christ-like behavior...something the church has been sorely lacking for some time. It's a bit late to attempt this...since so much animosity and shunning is part of the fabric of mormonism.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-27

Really, doubt may be the best friend of the church going forward.  I mean they are going to have to eventually set it up so that people know the truth and stay anyway.  Embracing doubt will be part of that solution.  The one thing the church does have going for it among their tbms is that these people don't just want the church to be true, they also don't want to have to leave the church.  That is why many times you will hear apologists defend the church in terms by muddying the waters enough so that the tbm is not required to leave the church.

tessa makes a great point however.  the church has been enforcing knowing and shunning for so long that it is going to take decades to unwind.  I mean the whole damn system is set up to reward people who conform their behaviors and conform the things they say and punish those who don't follow the pattern of knowing.

Ultimately, enforcing knowing will only be around so long as it pays the bills.  At some point it may just become a financial necessity to embrace doubt.  Of course, doubters probably won't pay as much tithing or put in as many hours of church service.  

Embracing doubt also seems to be more of an indulgence of the rich or idle.  I mean people need to have things in their life that freaking work.  I am not sure how much real value is created for someone when they embrace doubt to help them stay in mormonism if mormonism just is not what it claims.  If the Holy Ghost is not real.  If the priesthood is not real.  How does embracing doubt help you get more out of the 3 hour block?  How would embracing doubt help you be ok with sending your daughter to YW to watch a video about the divine roles of women?  How does embracing doubt help you pull real value out of say, a patriarchal blessing?  

Maybe I am just old school, but I always felt that the real value of mormonism was in the literal truths, it was in knowing it was true.  Isn't that the whole point? 

Signature 

I should have known better
when I caught you wild;
you were incredible,
Never knew you like I know you now,
You are illegible,
Imperceptible the lines that form the screw.

It Kills
Afghan Whigs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzyuivDVMGo

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

That "burning bosom" is getting a bit tattered...isn't it.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-07

Lloyd Dobler:

Really, doubt may be the best friend of the church going forward.  I mean they are going to have to eventually set it up so that people know the truth and stay anyway.  Embracing doubt will be part of that solution.  The one thing the church does have going for it among their tbms is that these people don't just want the church to be true, they also don't want to have to leave the church.  That is why many times you will hear apologists defend the church in terms by muddying the waters enough so that the tbm is not required to leave the church.

tessa makes a great point however.  the church has been enforcing knowing and shunning for so long that it is going to take decades to unwind.  I mean the whole damn system is set up to reward people who conform their behaviors and conform the things they say and punish those who don't follow the pattern of knowing.

Ultimately, enforcing knowing will only be around so long as it pays the bills.  At some point it may just become a financial necessity to embrace doubt.  Of course, doubters probably won't pay as much tithing or put in as many hours of church service.  

Embracing doubt also seems to be more of an indulgence of the rich or idle.  I mean people need to have things in their life that freaking work.  I am not sure how much real value is created for someone when they embrace doubt to help them stay in mormonism if mormonism just is not what it claims.  If the Holy Ghost is not real.  If the priesthood is not real.  How does embracing doubt help you get more out of the 3 hour block?  How would embracing doubt help you be ok with sending your daughter to YW to watch a video about the divine roles of women?  How does embracing doubt help you pull real value out of say, a patriarchal blessing?  

Maybe I am just old school, but I always felt that the real value of mormonism was in the literal truths, it was in knowing it was true.  Isn't that the whole point? 

Interesting point, Lloyd. 

Makes me wonder if and when there will be a tipping point where doubt in the church changes from "Could it possibly be false?"

to "Could it possibly be true?" (and I better stay in, just in case)

Signature 

As Neo reaches for the red pill Morpheus warns Neo
“Remember, all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-01

Lloyd Dobler:

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't see any way for them to fall back on "belief is enough" when the whole basis of the One True Church is based on knowledge. The only way I can see them get out this way is to give up everything they've thought and brush away 200 years of being the Chosen People just in order to remain "the largest growing church in the world" - which obviously hasn't been true to start with.

Signature 

Love is the law, love under will.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
readbooks
Scott Stevenson

Logged in: 3
Not logged in: 77
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Morethanmo