It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Financially supporting Postmormonism

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-07-11

(Moderators - feel free to move or delete this if it crosses some boundary. It's not meant as a solicitation, just a friendly tip.)

I've been "out" for eight years now.  I haven't paid tithing for that long.  I also haven't contributed financially to a post-Mormon cause in that time.  Since my wife is a TBM and usually balances the books, the last thing I need is an argument flaring up over a donation to Postmormon.org appearing on a credit card statement.

But the fact is that this site has been a big help to me and it doesn't run for free, so I have wanted to help in a little way.  I realized today that I have been carrying around a Visa gift card in my wallet for quite some time.  I got it in the mail from a software vendor I deal with at work. I keep forgetting to use it.

It has now been used. 

Since it's a gift card, it won't show up on my statement. The PayPal receipt goes to my email which my wife won't see. So I get to feel like I have helped in some small way, and she gets to continue believing I don't financially contribute to the damnation of Heavenly Father's children. It's a win-win.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this on in case others out there had faced the same predicament.

(FYI - if you're making a purchase online with a Visa gift card, you first have to register your address to the gift card so the online merchant - in this case, PayPal - can verify the card. This is done through the financial institution that issued the card.  I had thrown away the instructions that came with the card that would have explained how to do this, so I just googled 'td bank register visa gift card' and the website where I could register popped right up.)

Signature 

“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.” ~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

I gave my donation anonymously, via a cashier's check in the amount of $175,000.  

At least that's how I remember it...  It might have been a slightly different amount. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-02

Great Tip

Never though of that

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Thanks Elder Wand!
 Signature 

When man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime.—Thomas Paine

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

Elder OldDog:

I gave my donation anonymously, via a cashier's check in the amount of $175,000.  

At least that's how I remember it...  It might have been a slightly different amount. 

Still waiting for that check to clear. 

Signature 

When man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind, as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe, he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime.—Thomas Paine

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-26

Damn!!!  Elder Wand---I love loop holes.

I have wanted to give to PostMormon.org for some time but like you, with a TBM wife, any donation might be grounds for divorce. I will be on the lookout for pre-paid credit cards.  It seems like many rebates are paid via pre-paid credit cards---a perfect opprotunity.

Signature 

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”  -Marcus Aurelius

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-17

So I just thought of a really good way to do this. Look at some of the beer rebate offers. Tell your wife or husband to buy whatever...typically a meat and potato chips or something like that. Grab the receipt and the rebate form and you're golden. You don't even have to buy the beer in Utah to get the rebate.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-17

It's like Postmormon having unofficial beer sponsors.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
CdnXMo
SilentAnya
TheThomas
Zman

Logged in: 4
Not logged in: 72
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9456