It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Heartbroken

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

I've mentioned on this forum before that I live with my brother. We also have a dog in our household, Mighty Mike Gokoku Jinja. He's a mutt, so far as we know, but he most closely resembles a Boerboel. (I'm sure I am spelling that wrong but I have no way to check it as I am posting with a Samsung Intensity 3 phone) Anyway, he was rescued from a California shelter twelve yeasrs ago by my brother. He says he walked into the shelter, saw our dog and said "Mike!" and it was as if he had always known him. The staff had named him Mighty, and they had pushed his destruction date back 3 times against regulations in order to save his life. My brother had them put him on hold and checked two other shelters to make sure of his decision before returning to pick up Mike. Since then this dog has seen us through thick and thin, has been across the country twice with my brother, and been our best friend. Now he's dying. He's not sick, he doesn't have cancer. He's just old and his organs are shutting down in sequence. He's not in any pain. It hurts so much. He's my first dog and I was hoping in some corner of my mind that I could keep my Mikey forever. I'm so happy I'm not Mormon anymore, but I cant help but mourn for that certain knowledge that there is a life after this one and that I will have the chance to see my friend again. I'm supposed to protect him and take care of him. I can't follow where he's going, I can't protect him anymore. I hope there will be someone or something on the other side that will, but I dont know for sure. I feel horribble. Its like someone gutted me. Sorry for the wall of texts, my phone won't let me create new paragraphs.
 Signature 

“We are defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy.”

RankRank
Joined  2013-05-20

I lost my dog to Lyme disease about 10 years ago. It's really hard to watch them fade out like that. 

So many animals (and humans) live without ever being loved like that. You're lucky you had each other. It's tough to say goodbye.

Good luck, and good thoughts your way. It's another adjustment, for sure.  

RankRankRank
Joined  2012-12-26

My niece's dog died last October, (Daisy Mae, also a mutt). I loved that dog, too; it was so hard when we had to put her down because of how much pain she was in. I was still a TBM at that time, and I scoured the scriptures for any mention of where Daisy went. There was nothing, and nothing in the scriptures gave me any comfort. My niece (a nevermo) and I were both wrecks. The only thing that helped at all was the poem "The Rainbow Bridge". Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, I find comfort in those words, and it helped to know that sweet Daisy wasn't suffering any more. It's been 8 months now, and time has healed our hearts; we're finally considering getting another dog. (Interestingly enough, though, it was about a month after that experience at the vet that I researched the church and a month after that I left. Coincidence? I don't know.)
 Signature 

Re-examine all you have been told. Diminish what insults your soul. - Walt Whitman

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Oh,  

You are a pet-lover.   So am I.   I have always believed that dogs were our guardian angels.   I have a seizure disorder (epilepsy) and I have a cat who sleeps on my pillow if I'm in distress.   He normally sleeps at the foot of the bed, but move up next to my pillow if he senses any problems.   I just love him so much!!

Just remember, that ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN.   I don't know about human, but there is even a movie by that title  . . . so it has to be true.

Take care.   Mike will always be with you. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-25

I am so sorry that your friend is dying.  He sounds like a great friend.  It hurts.  I love animals too.  Cats and dogs.  Well birds.  I guess I love horses too.  And gerbils.  OK, I love all the animals, except that one black lab who "tree'd me" when I was in second grade on the last day of school when we picked up our report cards.  Looking back on it, he probably just wanted to play but I was terrified of dogs back then.  My brother laughed his a$$ off and left me on that tether ball pole with the dog barking at me below! 

We just lost a kitty.  I mean a little tiny kitty.  "Miss Noisey".  She meowed alot, so she got named that.  I spent $200 on an x-ray and then for the euthenasia.  I cried and hurt so bad.  Little tiny kitty!

God bless you and your friend. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-26

PhoenixGate:
I cant help but mourn for that certain knowledge that there is a life after this one and that I will have the chance to see my friend again.

That is the burden of the living, isn't it? Let us know if we can do anything to help ease the load and enjoy the time you still have together.

Signature 

“Superman is cooler than God”-Bryan Hitch

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Thank you for all the replies. Mike's still hanging on, and I can see it in his eyes he doesnt want to go. I looked up and read the Rainbow bridge. Its a good little poem. That's all I want, to know he'll be okay and to see him again. I didnt hit the quote button but yes that's the burden of life, and I'm very happy I got to give Mike 12 good years. He's had nightmares his entire life and as far as I can tell was severely abused, ran away and then finally caught by the ASPCA. I do have other pets, currently 3 cats (one belongs to my broter), one corn snake, one rescued ball python (previous ownwers didn't feed him properly for 5 years and he was not much bigger than 300 grams when I got it), and a tarantula (not my idea, but I saved the creepy girl when a friend feinted and rolled the cage). I love animals, and this is the price of keeping them. From all the reading I've done dogs have been with us for 100,000 years. I intend to continue the tradition after Mike even though I will always miss him. The new puppy will have some big shoes to fill. I just wish we had gotten a new puppy 6 months ago. Mike loves puppies. He would have thought we got the puppy just for him. He thought we made it snow just for him when we first moved to Washington. He looked up at me sitting in 2 feet of snow and said "thank you!" He seemed to think I magically made the snow appear. We played snowball chase with him, which he loved because he got to eat the snowball when he found it. And he was so good about tolderating our house cats. My oldest cat will be 9 this year. He's doing really well, really active and on weight. He perked up for my younger cat. I hope I get another 6 years out of him. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again for all the replies, every little bit helps.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

You know, PhoenixGate, when I think of who/what God is or if there is one--I think of animals and the unconditional love that is to be found in them.   Most religions are not kind to animals and never have been.  This is another reason I know religions are fake.  I find a large part of what a real and loving god would be like-- if there were one--in the kind of love we find in the hearts of great animals.  

You are a lucky person to experience this kind of pure love.  So sorry for the pain you are going through.  Animals are energy beings--just as humans are.  Why would their memories and the love they have felt not be impressed upon the energy that will leave thier bodies when they die?  Seems to me there is a very good chance the love in both of your hearts will attract you and your beloved pet together again--perhaps someday when you are both energy beings.  Hugs to You.  You dear little pet is as lucky as you are.  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

PhoenixGate:
 I'm so happy I'm not Mormon anymore, but I cant help but mourn for that certain knowledge that there is a life after this one and that I will have the chance to see my friend again. 

Disbelieving the claims of Mormonism doesn't mean there is no afterlife.

I strongly believe that this life isn't all there is.  I know it's standard to discount claims of spiritual experiences.  But I've had one.

My experience had nothing to do with Mormonism.  Or Christianity.  Or any religion.  But it did have to do with an afterlife.

This was the most moving, most real (for me), most sacred moment of my life... and I don't use the word "sacred" in the sense that it included choirs of angels and harps, etc.  I will remember every detail of it if I live to be 100.

I believe Joseph Smith was  conman.  I also believe there is an existence beyond this one, although I don't know how I would classify it.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-10

Tonto:
PhoenixGate:
 I'm so happy I'm not Mormon anymore, but I cant help but mourn for that certain knowledge that there is a life after this one and that I will have the chance to see my friend again. 

Disbelieving the claims of Mormonism doesn't mean there is no afterlife.

I strongly believe that this life isn't all there is.  I know it's standard to discount claims of spiritual experiences.  But I've had one.

My experience had nothing to do with Mormonism.  Or Christianity.  Or any religion.  But it did have to do with an afterlife.

This was the most moving, most real (for me), most sacred moment of my life... and I don't use the word "sacred" in the sense that it included choirs of angels and harps, etc.  I will remember every detail of it if I live to be 100.

I believe Joseph Smith was  conman.  I also believe there is an existence beyond this one, although I don't know how I would classify it.

Its not that I don't believe there's an afterlife, its that I have not seen any proof. There's definitely more to life than organic machines running around and trying to pass on their genes before they die. I've had a few spiritual experiences as well. They have reafirmed my belief that religion isn't wrong, its just that some people tend to use organized religion as a point of control over other people. I also belielf that it is detrimental to one's psychological health to try and force everything one experiences into the narrow perspective of a specific relogion. truth is all about perspective. What I meant by that part you quoted was that there used to be no question in my mind that there was an afterlife. Now I am trying to see all possibilities with clarity, and there is some possibility that there is no afterlife. I would reccomend watching a documentary called "What the Bleep do we Know?" I like that one a lot, and it points to the idea that we can change the universe around us by being the observer. If that's the case, then all the people who have put energy and thought into an afterlife have created one. There's only one way to test that theory though, and its not my time to test it.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-17

If there is an afterlife, and I really believe there is, I hope our animals get to go there, too.  If heaven is meant to fill our every heart's desire, then surely they will.

I miss our little dog.  He lived a good long life for his breed.  His last months weren't great, but he wasn't in pain.

He was a part of the family. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-28

PhoenixGate,  so sorry about your dog and what you're going through.   And how wonderful that your dog had this great chance of a good long  life with your brother and you.  I don't have much to add to what others have said so well other than to say that you and all the others who have pets that they love are my favorite kind of people.  And for what it's worth, just because mormonism got heaven and its supposed degrees all wrong doesn't mean for one second that there isn't some sort of life after this one.  And if there is, pets are there, for sure. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-15

Is there an afterlife?  I don't know.

I do know this:

If there IS an afterlife and m' Gracie's not there, I'm NOT going! 

Simple enough. 

Signature 

The above post is merely the experience, observation and perspective of a NeverMo, offered in support of the members of PostMormon.org

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum” aka: “Don’t let the bastards grind you down.” — “The Handmaid’s Tale” ...Margaret Atwood

“Nearly 7 billion people on the planet, hurting one person’s feelings really isn’t a big deal. You’ll find other friends. Better ones that won’t try to force feed you pig shit.” — General Smith

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
4thNephite
Absent Minded Housewife
hiding in plain sight
OldSoul

Logged in: 5
Not logged in: 75
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

jstnearthling