September '14 Meetup
[Denver Post-Mormo...]
Annual ExMormon Sacramento Party
[San Francisco Bay...]
Let’s go tubing!
[Palmetto Post-Mor...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Because Nothing screams “Equality” Like getting to sit through more church…

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-30

Awesome. And if any good mormon man wanted to go to the relief society meeting, I'm sure they wouldn't be denied a ticket.

Best facebook comment:

"We as women already know how to do that. Our greatest calling is to raise up right, honest, children that can be leaders both in society and religion. I wouldn't change being a mother for anything. Not even holding the priesthood."

What a tool. 

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/56795670-180/women-says-church-kelly.html.csp

"Some Mormon feminists are moving their drive for ordination in the LDS Church from talk to action: They are pushing for tickets to the all-male priesthood meeting at the faith’s October General Conference.

First, the group wishes to publicize the fact that women are not permitted to attend the semiannual priesthood meeting, says Kate Kelly, an international human rights lawyer in Washington, D.C., active Mormon and one of Ordain Women’s founders. "Some Mormon women may not know that."

Second, since the meeting is open to men who are "prospective elders," Kelly says, "were we permitted to attend, it would help church leaders see us as the prospective elders we believe ourselves to be."

The point is "to demonstrate to leaders that we are ready for this change, that our commitment is not just online but with our bodies." she says. "We want the [church] leadership to prayerfully consider ordination of women."

In April, the LDS Church responded to the Ordain Women movement by emphasizing that God loves both genders equally.

"In God’s plan for his children, both women and men have the same access to the guidance of his spirit, to personal revelation, faith and repentance, to grace and the atonement of his son, Jesus Christ, and are received equally as they approach him in prayer," spokeswoman Jessica Moody said then in a statement. But a male-only priesthood "was established by Jesus Christ himself and is not a decision to be made by those on Earth."

April’s General Conference made history when Jean A. Stevens, first counselor in the LDS Church’s Primary general presidency, became the first woman to offer a public prayer at the worldwide Mormon meeting.

This time around, Kelly and others at Ordain Women hope to get at least several hundred women to either ask for tickets from their local LDS leaders or wait in line at the Conference Center in downtown Salt Lake City on Oct. 5 for standby tickets.

So far, Kelly says, about 50 people have pledged to go. Several women have tried to get a ticket, but no one has succeeded.

"A lot of men have offered to give us tickets," she says, "but we don’t want them. We want to be permitted to enter the conference. We only want to get tickets with the full knowledge of the priesthood leaders giving them."

Some women have said they are "very, very" afraid to participate, Kelly says, but she is optimistic and proud of this effort.

"We are not protesters," she says. "We are insiders, faithful, active Mormons."

On Monday, National Women’s Equality Day, Kelly was among about 35 Mormon women who participated in an event dubbed "Equal in Faith: Women Fast for Gender Justice." They were joined in the daylong fast by Catholic, Jewish, Muslim and Lutheran women who gathered for an interfaith prayer service from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at St. Stephen Episcopal Church in the nation’s capital.

"The Mormon women," Kelly says, "made up more than half the group."

A similar meeting was held that same night at Salt Lake City’s Buddhist Temple, with about 50 in attendance, including 20 Brigham Young University students and a handful of Buddhists.

"There was a ton of interfaith support," says Chelsea Shields Strayer, a visiting professor at Utah Valley University this fall, who was at the Utah gathering.

Strayer says the Rev. Jerry Hirano of the Buddhist church told the group that "if you stand for equality, we stand with you." 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-20

So, according to these women, it's wrong for women to be denied the priesthood.

Who are they claiming has been wrong for the past 180 years? God or the prophets?

Either God is OK with women holding the priesthood, and the prophets have had it wrong all this time (see also: Dark skinned people), or God didn't want women to have the priesthood all along, and now they are trying to change his mind.

If the prophets can be SO wrong about who is eligible to hold the priesthood (this should be of substantial importance, you would think), and God just lets it go on for 180 years, then who wants to be part of such a defunct system?

I say again, either the church is false, or God and his prophets are incredibly inept.

Signature 

“The recognition of illusion is also its’ ending. Its’ survival depends on your mistaking it for reality.”  - Eckhart Tolle

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-23

Clearly these women do not understand the burden placed on men that holding Skydaddy's priesthood really is. 

After all, it is not meant to set anyone on a higher plane, it just increases the opportunities to serve other children of that heavenly dude.  It isn't a reward, or a status symbol, it is a calling meant to equip a person with the necessary keys to perform ordinances and blessing for OTHER people.

Besides, isn't there some secret I mean sacred temple thing that creates priestesses in the afterlife?

</sarcasm>

Well, there is the white shirt burden.  If you forget, and wear a white shirt to SM instead of a blue one, you might get drafted to bless or pass the bread and wine water.

Signature 

Did I mention how glad I am that this forum exists?

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
sl-skipper

Logged in: 1
Not logged in: 53
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9689
Lloyd Dobler
by jellybean.studio
Wanting to Resign