FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

TSCC helping Anti-mormons?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

This thought occurred to me yesterday: With all of these "essays" the church is putting out to address thorny issues, could they be helping the anti-mormons?

What I mean is all these facts and info which for years TBMs have brushed off as "anti-mormon lies" are now being admitted to by the church and suddenly, exmos and postmos are armed with CREDIBILITY. The things which my TBM wife refused to believe, she is now forced to believe, because they appear on the lord's one true web site.

Now I can tell her "Not only are these things true, but there are other things which are also true, but the church is hiding the whole truth or is not coming completely clean. I was telling you the truth all along, and now you know it. The church has admitted to it."

Signature 

Take me to church
I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life- Take Me To Church, Hozier

You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Maybe the whole idea is an attempt to take the air out of Post-Mo tires...trying to save what they can, knowing not all folks will buy the tale. Attack, then deflate. Great strategy.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-15

Matter Unorganized:

What I mean is all these facts and info which for years TBMs have brushed off as "anti-mormon lies" are now being admitted to by the church and suddenly, exmos and postmos are armed with CREDIBILITY. The things which my TBM wife refused to believe, she is now forced to believe, because they appear on the lord's one true web site.

Sorta.

The problem is, the Church doesn't interpret the information in such a way so as to come to the conclusion that Joseph made it all up.  They come to the conclusion that the Lord works in mysterious ways, using an imperfect man to restore God's gospel, and isn't that awesome?!

And if you are a faithful believer, the credibility advantage is with the church, not with former Mormons or critics of the church. 

I would suppose your wife is only forced to believe the FACTS as they are represented in those essays, but remains free to believe in the INTERPRETATION of those facts however she chooses.  She COULD choose to see it as you have, but she could more easily read it with the same tinted glasses that the church used to write it. 

Remember...SHE is their intended audience, not you! 

Signature 

smiley23.gif border=0
Doing stupid things faster and with more energy since 1962.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

peter_mary:

Sorta.

The problem is, the Church doesn't interpret the information in such a way so as to come to the conclusion that Joseph made it all up.  They come to the conclusion that the Lord works in mysterious ways, using an imperfect man to restore God's gospel, and isn't that awesome?!

And if you are a faithful believer, the credibility advantage is with the church, not with former Mormons or critics of the church. 

I would suppose your wife is only forced to believe the FACTS as they are represented in those essays, but remains free to believe in the INTERPRETATION of those facts however she chooses.  She COULD choose to see it as you have, but she could more easily read it with the same tinted glasses that the church used to write it. 

Good point, but I wonder how many TBMs will ever read these essays? They are not on the front page of LDS.org. One has to know where to look for them. Even when one finds the "gospel topics" section, they only highlight 6 topics, which currently are Jesus Christ, Christmas, Are mormons Christian, First Vision Accounts, Race and the Priesthood, and Gospel Learning. No mention of Polygamy or BoM Translation. You have to engage the search function. If you don't know they're there, you ain't gonna find them.

I think it all comes down to plausible deniability. "Look, it's on our web page! We're not hiding anything!" 

Signature 

Take me to church
I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life- Take Me To Church, Hozier

You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-27

TubbyTommie and a bunch of his henchmen don't really believe this crap from horney Joe. So, rather than give up their cushy lifestyle they have leadership by committee in the form of these statements.

No prophetic utterings. No leadership. No problem as they still get paid while preserving plausible deniability for the future if things don't work out.

Signature 

My dog has Health in the navel. marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and in the sinews…

He does not, however - have power in the Priesthood.

That is reserved for the Cat.

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-07

Matter Unorganized:
peter_mary:

Sorta.

Good point, but I wonder how many TBMs will ever read these essays? They are not on the front page of LDS.org. One has to know where to look for them. Even when one finds the "gospel topics" section, they only highlight 6 topics, which currently are Jesus Christ, Christmas, Are mormons Christian, First Vision Accounts, Race and the Priesthood, and Gospel Learning. No mention of Polygamy or BoM Translation. You have to engage the search function. If you don't know they're there, you ain't gonna find them.

I think it all comes down to plausible deniability. "Look, it's on our web page! We're not hiding anything!" 

Exactly.  I think Peter_mary (hey, P_M !!)  has it right that TBMs are the targeted audience, but it's not even all TBMs,  it's just those who are questioning and searching.  Some of that subset will be satisfied that there are no more secrets and the church has "addressed" the issues.  

Another subset may be young members who will not know that there ever were secrets. 

Signature 

As Neo reaches for the red pill Morpheus warns Neo
“Remember, all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

I do believe the essays are going to help us--in a lot of ways.  We can show them to TBMs--and yes--tell them they are trying to deflate the issue; what the essays address area problem areas.  They have opened the conversation for us with a TBM who has reason now to listen.  Only there is a lot more to be learned--like the rest of the story.

Maybe this is silly but I wonder if they are worried about fraud and damage lawsuits that are surely coming.  If they put part of the truth out there on the ugly issues, which they have hidden in order to keep the rank and file marching, paying, praying and obeying--do they think they can say, "Look we did not hide this stuff."  I don't know.  I do know I do not trust them at all.  Their backs are against the wall.

Maybe they feel they have to do something.  I believe these essays will help us a great deal.  The morg's problem is that they just keep underestimating us as far as our abilities, passion to free our fellow man and woman and a whole lot more.  We have amazing things going for us--like truth!

Signature 

I laughed out loud and said “Thank you sir. And I hope every time you hear the name of JS you don’t think about him having sex with those girls and the women who were already married because if you’re going to start being honest with yourself then sooner or later you will also realize a real god would never do that, a real prophet would never do that, and it’s all just bull shit.”
Oh mercy, it just felt so damn good to say that.  —BOLD WISH

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

What's all this talk about Aunty-Mormons?

What about Uncle-Mormons?  They may need help too...

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
BJohns
Elder OldDog

Logged in: 2
Not logged in: 78
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

BJohns
Party of One
sodone