Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Interesting message from a long time friend…..

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-26

I got a very interesting message from a long time friend. He mentioned that he has been having some doubts about the church. And listed a bunch of the commen things. Things that a lot of us see and go "wait a second......"  Then he said he heard that I may be having the same issues.

It was good to hear that someone I have known for so long is going through the same thing I am.

He wants someone he can talk to about this...someone who already has read or heard the same things. He is like me and doesn't want to put out this stuff to someone who hasn't heard them yet.

It's a very cool thing.... and made my day a good one so far.  

Signature 

This post uses only 100% recycled electrons.

Wander, Wanderer, Wandering
1. To move about without a definite destination or purpose.
2. To go by an indirect route or at no set pace.
3. To proceed in an irregular course.
4. To go astray.
5. To lose clarity or coherence of thought or expression.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-16

So the word's out about you.  And that comes with some good points

It's enough to make one wonder how many people are thinking the same thing, holding it all inside and afraid to talk to anyone they know about it, because they don't know anyone who they think would understand.

tttt

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

When you grow up in the church, you are growing into the role of TBM.  Not everyone stays this course.  For us older ones who did, this meant '...being in the world, but not of the world...' and we took pride in our ability to walk this path.  We dressed 'normally' and acted 'normally' except for the WoW issues, and we thought of ourselves as a beacons on the hills...  Then however we arrived at it, we were no longer TBM.  We knew what we weren't, but we didn't know what were.  And that can be scary, because all our lives we 'knew' that if you weren't TBM, you were lost.  And it's not natural to want to be lost; it's much more natural that you'd want to hang on to what was 'safe', what was 'normal' and what would not paint us the pink monkey amongst the brown monkeys.

So a person who grew up in the church, attained the grace of TBMism while following the approved stepping stones of Seminary, Mission, BYU, Temple Marriage, and who then opened the door and stepped out into the real world and discovered that TSCC fudged an issue or two...hundred, has a choice to make:  Abandon everything you know and do the whole growing up thing all over again, or turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to anything that does not come from TSCC and live out what could be, even with the internet!, a pretty decent life, as long as you don't pay attention to the kids, siblings, cousins, friends, etc., who, increasingly, are taking the other road.  

And it is a choice they're making, picking a way of life over you and the unknown.  You have facts, analysis, details; they have a testimony and apologia.  You present a fact, only to be countered with a possible explanation.  You provide a detail, they provide obfuscation.  You can't ever win, no matter what the score is.  You can only wait.  Or get the hell out.  No chosen path has a guaranteed outcome.  Mostly we do what we think right, or what is convenient.  'Cause we're human beings, not holy beings.  Other than my scrambled eggs, there is no such thing as perfection.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-17

True to the Truth:

So the word's out about you.  And that comes with some good points

It's enough to make one wonder how many people are thinking the same thing, holding it all inside and afraid to talk to anyone they know about it, because they don't know anyone who they think would understand.

tttt

I bet it is quite a few. One scary part, for me, was always being nervous sharing my doubts with people who seemed like they might have the same doubts. I was always afraid it was a trap set to find people who disagreed with the church.... I tend to be a bit on the parinoid side.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

I'm wondering if it's not a "calling"....members asked to put out pointed questions to those the bishop deem..."on the fence." They return and rat you out? Hope not. Tread carefully.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-26

Tessa:
I'm wondering if it's not a "calling"....members asked to put out pointed questions to those the bishop deem..."on the fence." They return and rat you out? Hope not. Tread carefully.

haha...that DOES sound like something they would do. 

But this is a childhood friend, who lives in Utah while I live in Va.

And we chatted a lot yesterday on FB and he asked some questions...but mainly just talked about things he had heard. He really likes Mormon Stories Podcast. And said he listens to them a lot.

So it was good. He was turning to me...hoping that I was in the same boat as him. So he had someone he could talk too.  

Signature 

This post uses only 100% recycled electrons.

Wander, Wanderer, Wandering
1. To move about without a definite destination or purpose.
2. To go by an indirect route or at no set pace.
3. To proceed in an irregular course.
4. To go astray.
5. To lose clarity or coherence of thought or expression.

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Bluesed
dave (e_nomo)
Elder OldDog
MTFaith
Sossy

Logged in: 6
Not logged in: 69
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9605
TBM Tinder Date
by Dark Chocolate
resignation screwups in SLC
by John E. Baker, III [was GraciesDaddy]
Do You Still Believe in God?
by Swearing Elder
Inner compass
by Heretic
I just spent a week with my TBM extended family...
by John E. Baker, III [was GraciesDaddy]