FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Crazy Mormon blogger sees “Gay agenda” in Disney’s “Frozen”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-08

This was posted on RfM about this Mormon blogger's post about somehow seeing the "gay agenda" in the new Disney movie Frozen. The only problem I can see Mormons having with this movie is the character saying that one shouldn't get married right away because they meet Prince Charming. After all, RM's are told that they should get married ASAP, and that quick engagements are preferrable to someone committing the sin of premarital sex.

wellbehavedmormonwoman.blogspot.com/2014/02/movie-frozen-gay-homosexual-agenda.html#.UwLFEYX-aNo

Signature 

I’m proud to be a B.I.T.C.H (Being In Total Control of Herself)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-12-26

She's crazy alright! What she doesn't seem to understand is that we all live in closets, hiding the parts of ourselves that make us feel insecure. That is, of course, why the blogger herself claims she was hesitant to publish this piece—people might hold her in derision or label her paranoid.

The message I got from this really awesome movie was simply this: take control of your life and don't be ruled by secrets and shame.

Signature 

And I don’t need the fallout
Of all the past that’s in between us
And I’m not holding on
And all your lies weren’t enough to keep me here
Goo Goo Dolls, Here Is Gone

RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-18

She'd see gay agenda in ANYTHING. I want her to do the Lego movie next. Then she can make her way through the classics.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-26

Ohhhhh boy. 
 Signature 

“Superman is cooler than God”-Bryan Hitch

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

I have to thank her for this important lesson I learned from her blog: If you don't want to be accused of being a bigot, just add a little sidebar comment explaining how you're not a bigot (even if you are).
 Signature 

“Never forget! The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-19

I'm going to disagree... I actually "agreed" with the blogger's argument. It's just those sorts of things represent my own moral belief system, so I'm glad they are in the movies. It's funny how those sorts of values can resonate in ANYONE once the religious dogma over your brain is circumvented. What the blogger fails to realize is that it is popular because people love it, meaning it has values that resonate with people enough to pay for the movie and sing the songs. What someone should really consider: If those values resonate with 4 year olds and good people everywhere, why are you listening to your old religious dogmas to avoid and disregard them?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-09

I saw the movie with my 12yo daughter (she's seen it 3 or 4 times). I don't recall seeing anything in it that promoted the "homosexual agenda"

In fact, my daughter and I have spent time discussing Frozen and found it to be full of uplifting messages about learning to accept yourself, friendships, and the incredible love of family - specifically the sister in this movie. We liked that the main characters were female; that one was going to be Queen without having to marry first; that the idea of marrying someone you'd just met was dismissed as a poor idea; that is was sisterly love and not romantic love that saved them; etc.

Sure, "Let it Go" has notes of rebellion in it -- the poor girl was locked up in her own home for years, with all sorts of rules placed upon her by her parents. Her parents died, now she was free of their rules and it was time to let go all that had happened to her and try to make her life her own.

Personally, I think that fact that that blogger see homosexuality in every frame and note says far more about her than it does about the movie itself.

Signature 

“Curiosity killed the cat, but where human beings are concerned, the only thing a healthy curiosity can kill is ignorance”
~Harry Lorayne

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.”
~Albert Einstein

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-12-26

dovahkiyn:
I'm going to disagree... I actually "agreed" with the blogger's argument. It's just those sorts of things represent my own moral belief system, so I'm glad they are in the movies. It's funny how those sorts of values can resonate in ANYONE once the religious dogma over your brain is circumvented. What the blogger fails to realize is that it is popular because people love it, meaning it has values that resonate with people enough to pay for the movie and sing the songs. What someone should really consider: If those values resonate with 4 year olds and good people everywhere, why are you listening to your old religious dogmas to avoid and disregard them?

I can't prove the movie isn't promoting the "gay agenda" to have gay people treated like people by society at large. I also agree with you that the "gay agenda" is good.

But I think the movie is about so much more than the plight of homosexuals in society. It's about empowerment of the individual within the social context—casting off the old guard.

Signature 

And I don’t need the fallout
Of all the past that’s in between us
And I’m not holding on
And all your lies weren’t enough to keep me here
Goo Goo Dolls, Here Is Gone

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-16

While the "gay propaganda" tag might be overstating it, I'm going to have to go with dovahkiyn in saying there's something there.  OK, to be perfectly fair: when I say "I" am going with this I mean "I listened to DW."

Her view (and some good practice from her English major) is that if ti wasn't written specifically with a gay "coming out" theme, it's at least useful for one anyway - after all, the meaning of a work is ultimately left up to the audience.  If someone can see the movie (or more importantly, hear the songs) and it can help them decide that they're free to be who they are, that they can put the closeted past behind them, the all for the better.

Yeah, I can see that.  And if you read that "well-behaved Mormon woman" blog (what self-respecting woman calls herself that anyway?), that's just the attitude she's complaining about.  People watching this move might just decide that they're not just miserable sinners after all!  Oh noes!

While I don't think Disney really meant the plot to be pro-gay (except that one flash of the sauna scene), I do think there was a generally "subversive" liberal theme.  This isn't surprising, following on the heels of Tangled which had a similar self-actualization anti-authority bent.

Well-behaved Mormon Woman:

The fact is, that not one of us would allow a person, contrary to our values, to come into our homes and teach our family many of the principles advocated in the movie Frozen - such as rebellion/disobedience - as good.

The fact is? I guess that depends on who "us" is, sister.  The fact is, I have worried that my children would learn the church's doctrine of "obedience über alles" and not understand that they are the captains of their souls.  Thankfully, I don't worry about that as much as I used to.  Authority for authority's sake is one of society's most pernicious evils, and a little rebellion is often necessary and good.

Shame is at the core of Elsa's feelings about her magical powers: same-sex attraction.

Again, I think she's reasing something in the specifics that isn't written.  But if it was, she'd be right: she and the church have a pro-shame agenda, and see it is a proper and useful tool for control.  Shame is one of the church's worst evils, one of its strongest tools for controlling the masses.  And the masses don't need to be gay - the church will helpfully provide you plenty throughout your life to be ashamed of.

The message of "Let it Go" is specifically intended to rebel against moral absolutes, which have governed society for centuries, now being viewed by a progressive agenda as antiquated.

This is not an innocent song, with a catchy tune. It is rebellious. It mocks moral absolutes. It is careless. It is unaccountable. It is anti-obedience. It is regardless. It is selfish. And if you still disagree, then by all means, feel free to show me how I've misinterpreted the lyrics.

All true.  What can I say?  The woman is just plain right.

tttt

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

The latest thing making the rounds on facebook is that the blogger has a gay daughter. I cannot verify this, but holy shit, imagine the daughter reading this type of screed. Sorry honey, but you're worthless.

So... what is this gay agenda? To be loved? To spend time with their family? To be treated fairly and equally? To love their partners & children?

Sounds pretty subversive to me. 

Signature 

Take me to church
I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life- Take Me To Church, Hozier

You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-19

She must have been watching the Cleanflicks version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0v7rFSUrGE

Signature 

“Never forget! The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-26

mariejo:
She'd see gay agenda in ANYTHING. I want her to do the Lego movie next. Then she can make her way through the classics.

Just wait until she gets to 300 and the Lord of the Rings triology. Oh and Braveheart.

Well, any movie, really, where a bunch of half-nekkid men beat the crap out of each other with big phallic objects. SO homoerotic. 

ETA: Fried Green Tomatoes is also a gay love story. Fact.

Signature 

Formerly known as “Dogzilla.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

she is most likely a lesbian

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Heretic
MsLed
quietlydifferent