FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Stories from the Ys!  Or how weird were my college years…

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

I suppose that other religious higher schools of learning have their quirks and oddities, but I'm sure those of us who attended would suppose no other school could top the Ys for their special brand of nuttiness.

I personally don't have any truly weird stories...  The one thing that really, really impressed me was that, as an RM, women would date me!!!  Me!!!  A Lamanite from the wrong side of the tracks, poor, disheveled, gawky, awkward and often flatulent.  But the hems at the thighs and the upper arms were my tickets into Dry Hump Heaven!  

Which, of course, made me want the real thing.  

I had a roommate from Argentina and he said that he was getting laid like crazy.  I couldn't think about it...  This was the late 60s...  

But once I got married, the Y was pretty much just drudgery.  Had the baby a year later and was a complete stereotype, meaning that I was an EQP.  Me, and EQP, in a real life adult ward.  Even then it was pretty obvious that I was the "well, no one hates him", least objectionable person who could be called.

Tell us some of your Y stories... 

Edited to add:  Do good and I'll post the only photo that exists of me at graduation... 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

Elder OldDog:

I suppose that other religious higher schools of learning have their quirks and oddities, but I'm sure those of us who attended would suppose no other school could top the Ys for their special brand of nuttiness.

I personally don't have any truly weird stories...  The one thing that really, really impressed me was that, as an RM, women would date me!!!  Me!!!  A Lamanite from the wrong side of the tracks, poor, disheveled, gawky, awkward and often flatulent.  But the hems at the thighs and the upper arms were my tickets into Dry Hump Heaven!  

I had a roommate from Argentina and he said that he was getting laid like crazy.  I couldn't think about it...  This was the late 60s...  

But once I got married, the Y was pretty much just drudgery.  Had the baby a year later and was a complete stereotype, meaning that I was an EQP.  Me, and EQP, in a real life adult ward.  Even then it was pretty obvious that I was the "well, no one hates him", least objectionable person who could be called.

Edited to add:  Do good and I'll post the only photo that exists of me at graduation... 

I'm up early today (it's ALMOST 4:30 AM as I type this ), and I'm getting ready to leave for an all-day business trip, but before I leave I just wanted to say to you, Elder OldDog: You have some great stories!!!

I don't have any Y stories to tell...but I sure do appreciate yours!!!

See y'all when I get back from my engrossing adventure today to the innermost regions (and arcane bookstores) of what we, around here, call "downtown" .........

Ninon

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-06

Elder OldDog:

I think your roommate from Argentina was lying. 

Aside from that, I have no Y stories , early on in my teenage years I used my powers of discernment to forsee that the Y was no place for me, of course I ended up in a place that was also no place for me but I avoided the Mormon Mania of the Y. It sounds like

it would have been fun to go to the Y with you.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-10

I attended Ricks College many years ago. I was once sent home from school to change my clothes because my skirt was too short. It embarrassed me and made me angry because another girl in the class had a skirt just as short (or shorter), but she wasn't called out on it. I decided that he was just a dirty old man looking at my legs.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

I never went to the WHY, but I've got my own stories.

My cousin went there, and was making out with his girlfriend off campus, and someone ratted him out and he had to go to the president's office and was shown the honor code and was forced to give some kind of pledge that he and his girlfriend would behave themselves. Yeah. 2 consenting adults, one an RM, both over 18, and they had to kowtow to the honor code gestapo because some busybody squealed on them. 

Way to go, God's university. 

(By the way, he ended up marrying this girl. He found the old nastygram from the honor code office recently and considered sending it back with a picture of what he and his wife are up to now! I love that guy...) 

Signature 

Take me to church
I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life- Take Me To Church, Hozier

You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-17

I've decided to delete my comments.  Writing down memories of my time at BYU has been rewarding for me personally and I did add these reminiscences to my own journal.  However, upon reflection I've decided to keep these things for myself.  I realize once I add my comments to this thread they can never be permanently erased.  So if you saw my comments here or if you retrieve them from the vast repository of the internet, I hope you enjoy them and aren't bored by my narcissistic, verbose scrawls.

Carry on.

Signature 

“I’m having the best day of my life, and I owe it all to not going to Church!”—Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

“I don’t object to the concept of a deity, but I’m baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.”—Amy Farrah Fowler, The Big Bang Theory

“For the record, I do have genitals. They’re functional and aesthetically pleasing.”—Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory

All comments, statements, opinions, suggestions, and information expressed, or quotes cited, represent the exclusive viewpoint of Aleut at that point in time and are NOT meant to compel or represent agreement by the reader. Aleut will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

Matter Unorganized:

(By the way, he ended up marrying this girl. He found the old nastygram from the honor code office recently and considered sending it back with a picture of what he and his wife are up to now! I love that guy...) 

Wow...this is a fascinating story to read, Matter Unorganized. 

I (personally) think it would be right on for him to send back a current photo  of him and his wife!!!  (In fact, if it was me that was involved, I would do it!)

Your cousin obviously has a great sense of humor... and if I knew him, I'd probably love him too! 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

Sister Saucie:
Elder OldDog:

Aside from that, I have no Y stories , early on in my teenage years I used my powers of discernment to forsee that the Y was no place for me, of course I ended up in a place that was also no place for me but I avoided the Mormon Mania of the Y. It sounds like

As the saying goes, it's never to late to have a happy childhood.  Just say the word and we'll motor up to Provo and dry hump on Y mountain!  

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-11-06

Elder OldDog:
Sister Saucie:
Elder OldDog:

As the saying goes, it's never to late to have a happy childhood.  Just say the word and we'll motor up to Provo and dry hump on Y mountain!  

Did anyone ever tell you, you have such a way with words? 

RankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-18

Tattling. So so much tattling. For example, a friend almost got killed by a lady speeding in her car down the street so he flipped her off. Nearby construction workers said "That's no way to treat a lady!," asked him for his name and told the Honor Code office, which then called him in to threaten him with this and that. 

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Carl
Elder OldDog
Penguin
truetome

Logged in: 5
Not logged in: 69
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Gideon