Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
BOSTON Meeting this Sunday at 3pm
[Boston, MA Post-M...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

SL Trib. today: “LDS leader tells Mormons to embrace their history, keep their faith” (link)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

The Tribune report begins with:

"Mormons shouldn’t shy away from their religion’s history, but neither should they be quick to discard their faith if what they learn appears inconsistent with LDS teachings, a member of the church’s governing First Presidency said at a symposium Friday.

"'There will be times when it may appear that things are going badly for the truth of God, that the evidence of the world contradicts God’s utterances,' Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor to church President Thomas S. Monson, told the audience in Salt Lake City’s Conference Center Theater."

Yes, lurking Latter-day Saints, things HAVE been "going badly" for the Mormon version of "the truth of God", which has included "restored" polygamy/polyandry, the work of fiction passed off as compiled ancient American history titled the Book of Mormon, blood atonement, Native Americans (Mormonism's "Lamanites") and blacks being "cursed" by "the Lord" with dark skin, and a lot more.

How "badly" has the chronically dishonest, multi-billion-dollar LDS Church been hemorrhaging?

1. "Number of faithful Mormons rapidly declining" was the headline of a Jan. 31/12 ABC News 4 (in SLC) report.

2. Members have been leaving the LDS Church "in droves" (see the Reuters special report, "Mormonism besieged by the modern age", for details).

3. From The New York Times in July 2013: "Around the world and in the United States, where the [Latter-day Saint] faith was founded, the Mormon Church is grappling with a wave of doubt and disillusionment among members who encountered information on the Internet that sabotaged what they were taught about their faith, according to interviews with dozens of Mormons and those who study the church."

Signature 

“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.”—Thomas Paine, intellectual, philosopher, writer, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States of America.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

I wonder if this message was deliberately scheduled ahead of the legal action in the UK requiring Monson to appear in court.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Timber:
I wonder if this message was deliberately scheduled ahead of the legal action in the UK requiring Monson to appear in court.

I'll bet you are correct.  Perhaps the best damage control they can think of.  They have no idea what truth with proof may hit the headlines as March 14 approaches. At least they had enough sense to not say, "No matter what you hear that sounds damaging--it is all anti-mormon lies."  Any of the real history coming out is good news for us--of course. Some TBMs will be shocked into seeing something is very wrong.  Some, sadly, like my family, will say--"None of it matters.  The church is still true."  Sigh--I think it is these they are sending this message to.  Yes, embrace your history.  That history would make a normal-thinking person throw up but you need to just embrace it.  

Signature 

“Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-27

Great idea. Think I'll start selling T-shirt saying: THE ORIGINAL 911 MOUNTAIN MEADOWS MASSACRE by The Mormons
 Signature 

My dog has Health in the navel. marrow in the bones, strength in the loins and in the sinews…

He does not, however - have power in the Priesthood.

That is reserved for the Cat.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-12

Another should say, Joseph Smith and his Danites, burn them printing presses to the ground.
 Signature 

I’ve begun worshiping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It’s there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There’s no mystery, no one asks for money, I don’t have to dress up, and there’s no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.” George Carlin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Nephi:
Great idea. Think I'll start selling T-shirt saying: THE ORIGINAL 911 MOUNTAIN MEADOWS MASSACRE by The Mormons

Nephi,

Your idea might be a way to re-coop some of that lost tithing money.  Seriously.  Only, I would put a dash after 911 to make it more understandable.  Or better, have "THE ORIGINAL 911"  on a line alone and the rest below that line.  Maybe either the letters or the background should be red.  Hey--its your T shirt idea.  Make it as you desire.  I like it!  you might sell a few. 

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-24

Signature 

Lloyd Dobler:
There is almost no limit to how bad the church will make you their bitch.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Bold Wish:

Good job in the creation Bold Wish.  Stickers?  Signs?  There are probably some brave enough to wear this. This is so gory I would not want to wear it but so real and eerie the story needs to be brought front and center.  I read John D Lee's account of how it happened, and like so much from the church's history, it slaps you in the face with what atrocities good people can be manipulated into committing by someone like Brigham Young and a mind-controling religion/cult.  One part that stood out was how the men (PHH) prayed before the massacure and felt it was god's will that they kill these people--except John D Lee--but says he knew that if he spoke up very much he would be killed for that was the climate that Brigham Young has fostered. I asumume John's attitude that it was not right was what got him blamed and used as a scape goat for the whole thing.  While John had not figured out JS at this point, he had figured out that Brigham Young was not a prophet of god, but an evil man.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

Strong Free & Thankful:
Bold Wish:

Good job in the creation Bold Wish.  Stickers?  Signs?  There are probably some brave enough to wear this. This is so gory I would not want to wear it but so real and eerie the story needs to be brought front and center.  I read John D Lee's account of how it happened, and like so much from the church's history, it slaps you in the face with what atrocities good people can be manipulated into committing by someone like Brigham Young and a mind-controling religion/cult.  One part that stood out was how the men (PHH) prayed before the massacure and felt it was god's will that they kill these people--except John D Lee--but says he knew that if he spoke up very much he would be killed for that was the climate that Brigham Young has fostered. I asumume John's attitude that it was not right was what got him blamed and used as a scape goat for the whole thing.  While John had not figured out JS at this point, he had figured out that Brigham Young was not a prophet of god, but an evil man.

i would wear it - and it would cost a fortune to print ome up http://www.discountmugs.com/category/custom-t-shirts/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-08

Bold Wish:

Awesome, I dare you to stroll around the Temple square in DT SLC wearing this. Please report the outcome. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-08

CdnXMo:

The Tribune report begins with:

"Mormons shouldn’t shy away from their religion’s history, but neither should they be quick to discard their faith if what they learn appears inconsistent with LDS teachings, a member of the church’s governing First Presidency said at a symposium Friday.

So Utdork is admitting openly that TSCC has lied, but according to him lying is ok.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-24

finex:

Awesome, I dare you to stroll around the Temple square in DT SLC wearing this. Please report the outcome. 

I WOULD DO IT!!!

But I live far from SLC.

This is one of the very few times in my life I'd like to actually live in that area so I could do this.

I think it'd make a great mini-documentary, the scene and comments at temple square could kick off the film.

Signature 

Lloyd Dobler:

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Bold Wish:
finex:

I WOULD DO IT!!!

But I live far from SLC.

This is one of the very few times in my life I'd like to actually live in that area so I could do this.

I think it'd make a great mini-documentary, the scene and comments at temple square could kick off the film.

Would you really?  Bet there is someone in the PostMo community who be willing to make the documentary and be so willing to share with any media that had interest--here and abroud.  What if we start a fund to pay your plane and expenses for a weekend?  Bet Bill Maher would air it.  At the least lets have one made and send it to Bill.  We could donate to having the shirt made.  

Edit:  vistaprint.com will upload your photo of the design and make you a T shirt for $11.20.

There are also companies that you can send your design to and they only make the shirt if it is ordered.  You receive a commission for every sale.  Don't know if they have any policy against something of this nature or not. 

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-24

I think if any profits come out of this deal, they should go to supporting this website &/or mormonthink.com

Round trip from ATL on GC weekend is ~$460 to $530 (economy)

I know my oldest son would film it - he owns a small video production studio and he'd get a kick out of it - the final cut would have a "professional"quality

I can get time off from work . . . hmmmm . . . this endeavor would be MUCH cheaper if a local team did it.

Signature 

Lloyd Dobler:

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

Here is one website that will sell your logo on a shirt made-to order by the customer.  I think the profit is kind of low but something is better than nothing and that is a very worthy cause to contribute to.   I would like to have one to pull out as a visial aid when explaining mormonism. 

Link:  http://www.zazzle.com/custom/tshirts

Probably a local group would be the best choice cost-wise.  

If you have the shirt made, I will do what I can to get it to Bill Maher--if you would like me to--or you could do it if you think it is a good idea.

That both of these mass murders were carried out because of religious fanaiscism and both happened to be on 9/11 is an errie coinsidence and is definitely an attention-getter.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-15

Strong Free & Thankful:

Here is one website that will sell your logo on a shirt made-to order by the customer.  I think the profit is kind of low but something is better than nothing and that is a very worthy cause to contribute to.   I would like to have one to pull out as a visial aid when explaining mormonism. 

Link:  http://www.zazzle.com/custom/tshirts

Probably a local group would be the best choice cost-wise.  

If you have the shirt made, I will do what I can to get it to Bill Maher--if you would like me to--or you could do it if you think it is a good idea.

That both of these mass murders were carried out because of religious fanaiscism and both happened to be on 9/11 is an errie coinsidence and is definitely an attention-getter.

I have purchased coffee mugs [see my "Buns of Iron!" post on FB] and t-shirts from Zazzle for years.  At $18.95 for a cotton tee – I have a long-sleeved polyester crew neck for $22.95 – keep in mind:  You're getting a custom tee-shirt that will not be mass-produced and will, for the most part, be unique.

BOLD WISH:  It would help if you could post the artwork without the shirt outline and at 300 dpi.  You might have to upload a smaller version, but the higher resolution will take care of that problem.  It just has to be straight and centered within the image.  

I'm going to wear mine to Burning Man next year. 

Signature 

The above post is merely the experience, observation and perspective of a NeverMo, offered in support of the members of PostMormon.org

“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum” aka: “Don’t let the bastards grind you down.” — “The Handmaid’s Tale” ...Margaret Atwood

“Nearly 7 billion people on the planet, hurting one person’s feelings really isn’t a big deal. You’ll find other friends. Better ones that won’t try to force feed you pig shit.” — General Smith

RankRank
Joined  2012-03-24

I live in Rexburg & would proudly go for a walk on BUY-I campus wearing that shirt.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

You guys are Awesome!!!  Let me know when I can order one!
 Signature 

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
BornLDS
Ex_aedibus
former victim
Kori
Lyman
Matter Unorganized
nessid