Annual ExMormon Sacramento Party
[San Francisco Bay...]
Let’s go tubing!
[Palmetto Post-Mor...]
Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

So what about this new Transparency?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

Elder Updork (yes, yes, I know it's primitive and childish to resort to making fun of a Well Respected Person's name, but whattayagonnado...) has intimated that Transparency will soon be coming to a chapel near you.  I'm sure that he and I will differ on what constitutes 'transparency' ...  And he's not speaking for my benefit, but for the Sheep.

The notion behind this posting is, what else can we expect from the board of directors of LDS, Inc., by way of keeping the faithful...faithful?

Certainly I expect them to give us a peek into the finances.  They originally, early 50s, closed the financial ledgers of the church because they were coming close to bankruptcy.  THey decided not to alarm the Faithful.  But they've obviously turned that around...  I wonder who the first apostle was to get the million dollars Grant Palmer referred to in his Mormonthink article?  In any event, I sincerely doubt TSCC is going to reveal the salary structure of the leadership.  I bet we don't even get an overview!  For one thing, they probably play games (like with the MPs 'compensation) in order to avoid that nasty governmental intrusion called taxation.  I for one don't care what kind of money games they play with the various governments involved, but ghawd must care, since he's calling the shots.

I'm uncertain what they're going to reveal about the apostasy situation.  It makes no sense for them to reveal the year by year statistic regarding how many souls resigned from the Only True Church.  (It also boggles the mind that they're not calling down fire & brimstone on all the "slapped Jesus and left in a huff'' low-down sin-seeking apostates.  (I always want to type "aprostates" because I'm of a certain age...  Well, I finally caved in.  Sorry.)  Instead, the message went out that while obviously misapprehending the gospel situation, some of us are sincere!  (It could also be a combination!  I sincerely doubt the JS story but, like JS, sincerely like to make the beast with two backs, married or just 'nice to make your acquaintance.'  Again, sorry.) 

We're going to know a lot about Mormon Transparency in less than a month.  It's at April conference that all the past year's figures are divulged.  We should start a poll to see who comes closest as to seeing what's on the other side of their newly Transparent window !!

I predict, no mention of the number who resigned, no individual information on salaries/compensation, no distinguishing between converts and membership births in the tally of the church's growth, and certainly, no mention of how many members turned 110 and were removed from the records.  

So...  pretty much business as usual!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

I suspect this transparency will be in need of cataract surgery. 

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

The so called "new transparency" is more like "a little less a opaque" than it once was.  The church leaders make a pretence of transparency while still holding back or obfuscating the most embarrassing and damaging facts about its history, as evidenced by its new "sensitive topics" publications on its website.  It's just another attempt to appease members by pretending to be honest while still lying to them.  I think it will backfire one them.  I think those who've been clinging to the church under the hope that the leaders are still somehow men of integrity now have officially sanctioned evidence in writing that they do in fact willfully lie about church history.  I think it'll drive many of those people out of the church too.  It's really sad and pathetic that they won't tell the truth until they have absolutely no other choice.

Signature 

Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.
- Joseph Campbell

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-17

Elder OldDog:
Elder Updork (yes, yes, I know it's primitive and childish to resort to making fun of a Well Respected Person's name, but whattayagonnado...) has intimated that Transparency will soon be coming to a chapel near you.  I'm sure that he and I will differ on what constitutes 'transparency' ...  And he's not speaking for my benefit, but for the Sheep.

The notion behind this posting is, what else can we expect from the board of directors of LDS, Inc., by way of keeping the faithful...faithful?

Certainly I expect them to give us a peek into the finances.  They originally, early 50s, closed the financial ledgers of the church because they were coming close to bankruptcy.  THey decided not to alarm the Faithful.  But they've obviously turned that around...  I wonder who the first apostle was to get the million dollars Grant Palmer referred to in his Mormonthink article?  In any event, I sincerely doubt TSCC is going to reveal the salary structure of the leadership.  I bet we don't even get an overview!  For one thing, they probably play games (like with the MPs 'compensation) in order to avoid that nasty governmental intrusion called taxation.  I for one don't care what kind of money games they play with the various governments involved, but ghawd must care, since he's calling the shots.

I'm uncertain what they're going to reveal about the apostasy situation.  It makes no sense for them to reveal the year by year statistic regarding how many souls resigned from the Only True Church.  (It also boggles the mind that they're not calling down fire & brimstone on all the "slapped Jesus and left in a huff'' low-down sin-seeking apostates.  (I always want to type "aprostates" because I'm of a certain age...  Well, I finally caved in.  Sorry.)  Instead, the message went out that while obviously misapprehending the gospel situation, some of us are sincere!  (It could also be a combination!  I sincerely doubt the JS story but, like JS, sincerely like to make the beast with two backs, married or just 'nice to make your acquaintance.'  Again, sorry.) 

We're going to know a lot about Mormon Transparency in less than a month.  It's at April conference that all the past year's figures are divulged.  We should start a poll to see who comes closest as to seeing what's on the other side of their newly Transparent window !!

I predict, no mention of the number who resigned, no individual information on salaries/compensation, no distinguishing between converts and membership births in the tally of the church's growth, and certainly, no mention of how many members turned 110 and were removed from the records.  

So...  pretty much business as usual!

[  ]   Next time I visit my GP, I'm going to ask for a refill of my aprostate medicines.

[  ]  EOD, as with any LDS patriarch or carnival fortune-teller using cold or hot readings to foretell the future, your predictions are pretty sure bets.

[  ]  Also, we should have a PostMo contest to see who can  guess without going over the April 2014 membership total.

Signature 

“I’m having the best day of my life, and I owe it all to not going to Church!”—Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

“I don’t object to the concept of a deity, but I’m baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.”—Amy Farrah Fowler, The Big Bang Theory

“For the record, I do have genitals. They’re functional and aesthetically pleasing.”—Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory

All comments, statements, opinions, suggestions, and information expressed, or quotes cited, represent the exclusive viewpoint of Aleut at that point in time and are NOT meant to compel or represent agreement by the reader. Aleut will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

I hereby predict prophesy that the auditing report will be as follows, word for word:

-
To the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Dear Brethren: As prescribed by revelation in section 120 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Council on the Disposition of the Tithes authorizes the expenditure of Church funds. This council is composed of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the Presiding Bishopric.

This council approves budgets for Church departments, operations, and related allocations to ecclesiastical units. Church entities expend funds consistent with approved budgets and in accordance with Church policies and procedures.

The Church Auditing Department has been granted access to all records and systems necessary to evaluate the adequacy of controls for receipts of funds, expenditures, and safeguarding of Church assets. The Church Auditing Department is independent of all other Church departments and operations, and the staff consists of certified public accountants, certified internal auditors, certified information systems auditors, and other credentialed professionals.

Based upon audits performed, the Church Auditing Department is of the opinion that in all material respects, contributions received, expenditures made, and assets of the Church for the year 2013 have been recorded and administered in accordance with appropriate accounting practices, approved budgets, and Church policies and procedures.

Respectfully submitted,

Church Auditing Department 

After I am proven correct, I will prophesy for you, and each of you, whatsoever things you desire, for the princely sum of $50,000 a pop.

Signature 

Take me to church
I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life- Take Me To Church, Hozier

You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-20

"Brothers and sisters, the Church is afflicted with aprostate cancer, but the Lord in his great mercy has provided us with remedy: Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith." — Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I think I might not have the quote quite right. 

Signature 

Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.
- Joseph Campbell

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-09

Jeff Ricks:

The so called "new transparency" is more like "a little less a opaque" than it once was.  The church leaders make a pretence of transparency while still holding back or obfuscating the most embarrassing and damaging facts about its history, as evidenced by its new "sensitive topics" publications on its website.  It's just another attempt to appease members by pretending to be honest while still lying to them.  I think it will backfire one them.  I think those who've been clinging to the church under the hope that the leaders are still somehow men of integrity now have officially sanctioned evidence in writing that they do in fact willfully lie about church history.  I think it'll drive many of those people out of the church too.  It's really sad and pathetic that they won't tell the truth until they have absolutely no other choice.

I don't believe Church leaders see what they are doing as 'lying'. It's an arrogant and misplaced 'father knows best' attitude at work rather than a deliberate deception with intent to defraud. To their deluded way of thinking, "The Church is True" is the only "truth" that matters. I once asked a FARMS/FAIR apologist what "anti-Mormon" books he thought were the best written and researched. His answer was that "answering such a question was akin to leaving a loaded gun on the table". They wouldn't want any innocent lambs with a fragile testimony to come along and accidently shoot themselves with it.

I see three general constituencies in the Church when it comes to understanding the unsavory elements of Church history and doctrine:

1) The Deniers. These folks still believe that anything they didn't read in faith-promoting Church publicications constitute lies of "The Adversary"

2) The Shruggers. These folks acknowledge all or many of the warts that drove us to leave, but they cling to their subjective spiritual witnesses, put the problematic elements on "the shelf", and figure God is just and everything will come out in the wash.

3) The Apologists. These folks not only acknowledge the warts, but defend and embrace them. On the scientific matters they convince themselves that reason is on their side (or at least neutral to their claims), and on the ethical matters they are truly frightening to listen to.

The Church loses a good percentage of those transitioning from 'Deniers' to 'Shruggers' and another good percentage of those transitioning from 'Shruggers' to 'Apologists', thus it's better from their perspective not to have them transition at all. The trick for their objective of maximizing retention is to discourage transitioning at all while maximizing the retention rate of those who do jump to the next level. It is a very fine balancing act. Their strategy reflects this. 

Signature 

“Now Korihor said unto him: I do not deny the existence of a God, but I do not believe that there is a God; and I also say, that ye do not know that there is a God” (Alma 30:48)

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-26

It won't matter what they say - it will always be a LIE!!

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Carl
Elder OldDog
Free2Live
sak_pase
Schyzm

Logged in: 5
Not logged in: 63
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)