FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Looking for feedback related to my new book about the fraud of Mormonism.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

I recently completed a non-fiction book, "Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church's $200-Billion Scam" (367 pages) and have been investigating publishing options. I need to do some marketing research and would appreciate your answers to the following questions: 

1. Which types of books do you buy most of the time?

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

2. If you buy e-books, which of the following e-readers do you use?

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

E) Other (please specify)

3. If you buy e-books, what is the price range you typically pay?

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

I appreciate your input. I'm not looking for potential sales leads and will not contact you about my book. 

Signature 

“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.”—Thomas Paine, intellectual, philosopher, writer, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States of America.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-22

Call me old-fashioned (or just call me old) but for my money, nothing beats a paper copy. I can mark it up and highlight it and take it with me and it never needs to recharge.
 Signature 

Take me to church
I’ll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I’ll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life- Take Me To Church, Hozier

You’re like the Gandhi of postmo. - Lloyd Dobler

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-12

Hello CdnXMo,

From your posting history on this board, my guess is that you have produced a thoroughly researched and well written book. 367 pages is quite a tome. I look forward to reading it.

Best responses to your  questions are indicated by highlight below. 

I usually prefer hardcopy, especially for non-fiction, but have started using e-books as well. For fiction, my wife and I  use audiobooks quite often.

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $1.99

B) $2.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-30

There's also the Google Play store.  I buy my ebooks mostly from there.  Because I'd rather pay less than more, I will wait awhile for the price of a book I'm interested to drop.  Pretty much I just use Amazon for their free books.  (Did you know that almost all the P.G. Wodehouse books are free on Amazon?)

When it comes to history and humans, I do not believe that there is such a thing as non-fiction.  I take all of that as point of view, or 'here's my impression...'  

I hope it has a lot of sex in it.  Sex sells.  Debauchery sells!  I am half serious when I say that a comic book version of the fraud that is mormonism would probably be a big hit, if your artist is talented...  Who wouldn't want to see the seduction of Fanny Alger in Marvel Comic style?  Not to mention all the visions!!!

I can't remember when I last bought a hardback from some place other than Costco...  Probably Crown Book Stores, and how long have they been out of business?  Right now there are only four authors Costco carries who I will buy the first day they're available:  John Sanford, Lee Child, Michael Connelly & Robert Crais.  I HATE paying retail, but not for these four.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-01

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

I appreciate your input. I'm not looking for potential sales leads and will not contact you about my book. 

You're welcome

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

I only buy paper copies because (with the exception of old books with historical value) I use my books (fiction or non-fiction, doesn't matter) as "workbooks": I highlight, annotate...words I don't know I circle and then put on the top of the page so I can get the definitions later (because much of the time when I'm reading, I'm "out"--so I don't have access to reference works...which I ALSO highlight and annotate!)...geographical or historical, etc. references I circle and then (later) look them up and write brief explanations...and I also circle "longer" passages that I feel are either particularly important (or I don't fully understand them, so it's a way of saying to me: go over this section later when I'm not so brain-fogged); if the passages are really important to me, I mark the "balloons" with *** (though the *** are usually vertical instead of horizontal, one set on each side of the "uprights" on the balloons).   

To me, books are workbooks to be used and personalized as I think best for my own purposes.

For me, this would be particularly so with your new book: There are undoubtedly going to be a huge amount of references and information in there that I will be highlighting and annotating over probably all of the pages.  (My highlighting and annotating is often directly proportional to my ignorance, or to my non-comprehension.  )

We don't "do" ebooks around here--especially since we found out that everyone who had Border's ebooks lost ALL of their ebooks when Border's went out of business!  Some people had "libraries" of ebooks and, without any notice, lost ALL of them between one second and the next second!  This will never happen to us!  (The exception would be: on long trips, or during travel overseas, it would make sense to buy a reader and put on a number of books just for use during travel.  However, anything I thought was worth being in my library would then be rebought, as a paper copy, as soon as I got back home.)

Best of luck on every level with your new book!!!!! 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-06

CdnXMo:

I recently completed a non-fiction book, "Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church's $200-Billion Scam" (367 pages) and have been investigating my publishing options. I need to do some marketing research and would appreciate your answers to the following questions: 

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

I usually try to stay under $5.00 for e-books because I don't care if I'm reading the latest releases. If it has good reviews from numerous people, I will pay more. For self-published, it's trickier. While, I have no doubts your book is thought out and written well, some may not want to pay much. I've taken a break from the free or really cheap self published books because so many are poorly written. I wonder if there's a way to donate your book in an e-format form to the overdrive library for Utah?  Could get a lot of doubters easily sneaking it onto their reading devices.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-18

I've never bought anything but real books with real pages. Don't own a kindle and never heard an audio book. Guess I'm still in the dark ages. However, your book sounds like a keeper and would like to read it sometime.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-01

bjohn:
CdnXMo:

I recently completed a non-fiction book, "Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church's $200-Billion Scam" (367 pages) and have been investigating my publishing options. I need to do some marketing research and would appreciate your answers to the following questions: 

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

I usually try to stay under $5.00 for e-books because I don't care if I'm reading the latest releases. If it has good reviews from numerous people, I will pay more. For self-published, it's trickier. While, I have no doubts your book is thought out and written well, some may not want to pay much. I've taken a break from the free or really cheap self published books because so many are poorly written. I wonder if there's a way to donate your book in an e-format form to the overdrive library for Utah?  Could get a lot of doubters easily sneaking it onto their reading devices.

to this idea or other ways that make it as easy as possible for people who are not comfortable being open about reading material that is not "church approved."

Some people probably prefer e-reader to book because easier to read with others knowing what you are reading.  On the other hand, those who share a Kindle account with other family members, might prefer a physical copy so the others on the account don't see it.  Something to consider when deciding which/how many formats to use.

I am not familiar with overdrive specifically...is this web based, so a person would read online rather than through downloading it?

SG

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

Elder OldDog:

There's also the Google Play store.  I buy my ebooks mostly from there.  Because I'd rather pay less than more, I will wait awhile for the price of a book I'm interested to drop.  Pretty much I just use Amazon for their free books.  (Did you know that almost all the P.G. Wodehouse books are free on Amazon?)

When it comes to history and humans, I do not believe that there is such a thing as non-fiction.  I take all of that as point of view, or 'here's my impression...'  

I hope it has a lot of sex in it.  Sex sells.  Debauchery sells!  I am half serious when I say that a comic book version of the fraud that is mormonism would probably be a big hit, if your artist is talented...  Who wouldn't want to see the seduction of Fanny Alger in Marvel Comic style?  Not to mention all the visions!!!

I can't remember when I last bought a hardback from some place other than Costco...  Probably Crown Book Stores, and how long have they been out of business?  Right now there are only four authors Costco carries who I will buy the first day they're available:  John Sanford, Lee Child, Michael Connelly & Robert Crais.  I HATE paying retail, but not for these four.

I didn't know about Google Play; I'll check it out. Thanks for the FYI!

Re. the debauchery in Mormonism, the titles of sections in one of my chapters, "Mormon Polygamy: Joseph Smith’s Infamous 'Legacy'", are:

Many wives and children
Fundamentalist Mormons and “ten virgins”
Hundreds of “Lost Boys”
“The plurality of wives”
Polygamy is essential for Mormons’ salvation
Establishing “power and dominance”
Mormon gods are polygamists
Smith's angel-with-the-sword lie
Why wait twelve years, and why threaten Emma?
Smith’s cunning strategies and tactics
Isolate the young prey, then strike
A Machiavellian plot
Seducing mothers “to keep them quiet”, and Smith’s “evil genius”
Mormon polygamy exposed
“The foul fiend who perpetrated the diabolical deed”
“Audacious wretches”

Signature 

“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.”—Thomas Paine, intellectual, philosopher, writer, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States of America.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-06-03

Matter Unorganized:
Call me old-fashioned (or just call me old) but for my money, nothing beats a paper copy. I can mark it up and highlight it and take it with me and it never needs to recharge.

I agree!6

Signature 

Everything we believed in was a lie
Cross the oceans in your mind
Find a way to blur the line

Oceans ~ Evanescence

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

Update Friday afternoon: Amazon has approved the e-book version of Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church's $200-Billion Scam

Even if you don't have a Kindle e-reader and are interested in a sizeable sample of my writing, click on the cover image ("Look Inside") and Amazon will launch its online Kindle Book previewer (a useful feature!). The sample consists of the first 49 pages of my book. 

Enjoy!

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-22

CdnXMo:

I recently completed a non-fiction book, "Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church's $200-Billion Scam" (367 pages) and have been investigating publishing options. I need to do some marketing research and would appreciate your answers to the following questions: 

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

About the only time I take to read (except news, articles, PostMo) is at bedtime and I prefer a paper book.  I will definitely buy your book in paper form and look forward to reading it!

Signature 

I laughed out loud and said “Thank you sir. And I hope every time you hear the name of JS you don’t think about him having sex with those girls and the women who were already married because if you’re going to start being honest with yourself then sooner or later you will also realize a real god would never do that, a real prophet would never do that, and it’s all just bull shit.”
Oh mercy, it just felt so damn good to say that.  —BOLD WISH

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-05

Sorry, Kiddo, you are a youngster amongst many of us old fogies on this forum.

my son bought me a Kindle for my birthday a few years back.  While I like it, there are a few problems I have with it.  I tend to read with my finger on the page, which causes much havoc with the Kindle, not to mention on occasion the danged thing will start over from the front cover when I thought I only swiped to turn the page.  This, as well as marking up paper books, is why I go the Luddite route.

Please let us know when the paper version comes out, too.  We appreciate your work and the work of your brother.

Signature 

“If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.”
                    —Anatole France

Most people would rather be right than be happy.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-11

CdnXMo:

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

1. B

2. A

3. E 

RankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-07

I look forward to reading the book.  Can I suggest Write Publish Repeat as it seems to address some of the questions you're asking.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Publish-Repeat-No-Luck-Required-Self-Publishing-Success-ebook/dp/B00H26IFJS

Cheers

Pete Bowen 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-24

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

1: a

2: a

3. e

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-19

I prefer paper copies. But another question is which kind will make the most impact on the LDS community. IMO paper is the way to go. IMO, most of the church leaders and their supporters are still having trouble figuring out these newfangled things called computers. So I exaggerate a little bit, but I think if you put it out on the hippest, coolest gadgets you will severly limit your audience. I would appreciate comments.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

Thanks to everyone for your answers to my questions and comments. It's interesting to me how many people use Amazon's Kindle e-reader, but not Chapter's Kobo, Barnes & Noble's Nook, or an Apple device.

Re. paper copies of Latter-day Saint Swindle: The Mormon Church’s $200-Billion Scam, I've requested some quotes from printers and will post an update here when I have more information (should be this week).

For those who are interested I've published some text from each of the 12 chapters of my book here.

Note: The Amazon webpage for my e-book says "Print Length: 513 pages" when in fact the no. of print pages is 367. The no. of e-reader pages is 513 because less text is shown on each page. I have no control over what Amazon.com indicates on the webpage in terms of no. of pages.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-04-30

CdnXMo:

A) Paper copies

B) E-books

C) Audiobooks

A) Amazon's Kindle

B) Chapter's Kobo

C) Barnes & Noble's Nook

D) Apple's iBook

A) $0.01 - $0.99

B) $1.00 - $2.99

C) $3.00 - $4.99

D) $5.00 - $7.49

E) $7.50 - $9.99

F) $10.00 - $14.99

G) $15.00+

I almost never purchase paper books any more. I have both an e-ink and tablet version of amazon's kindle, and primarily use the tablet. I bought into the amazon system well before the competitors came out, and as amazon uses a closed system (proprietary drm/format), I choose to remain in that system rather than trying to re-purchase all of my books through a different electronic publisher. It sucks, that I don't have the full freedom to do what I want with my purchases, but I've come to terms with the fact that it saves me from having to get rid of books whenever I move.

As an ebook shopper, unless I'm buying something specific, I try to stay in the "bargain" range, specifically due to the overt limitations on ebooks that are most often enforced by the publishers and the closed system.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-01

CdnXMo:

snip

It's interesting to me how many people use Amazon's Kindle e-reader, but not Chapter's Kobo, Barnes & Noble's Nook, or an Apple device.

snip

I use the Kindle app on the Apple devices.  A kindle was our first device, and we just stayed with it since we could see the books on our other devices, too, through the app.

Thanks for making the book and excerpts available!

SG

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
finex

Logged in: 1
Not logged in: 61
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Simple Sweetheart

Total members: 9735
Movies