FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Need a last-minute, COOL Christmas present? CLICK HERE

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Has time gotten away from you? Are you missing a few key Christmas/Solstice/Hannukah/Ramadan/Kwanzaa presents for those loved ones in your life? Do you need to find something cool, really quick?

Well have no fear: your benevolent dictator is here. After all, now that you don't have an 85 year old in diapers making every decision in your life for you, you need someone else to do it. And out of the goodness of my heart, I have NOMINATED MYSELF to be your new Controller!

Let's get started.

MEN BUYING FOR WOMEN

Hey guys - guess what the ladies like? NOT another present that says, "I spent four seconds thinking about you while I was in the checkout stand at Wal-Mart". So, go ahead and buy the wicker basket full of aromatic soaps and stuff again if you want, but this year, AUGMENT it with something more creative, more useful, and more personalized. Here are a few ideas.

1.) SPECIAL LINGERIE TRIP - For all the time they can spend in a department store, the strange fact is that most women don't really spend a lot of time focusing on their most intimate needs and doing what they need to do to satisfy them. This is where YOU come in. You can help change your woman's life AND be a sort of hero.

Let's take bras. Every woman thinks she knows just what her bra size is - and most of them are WRONG. AND, even if by some chance there's a true match between boob and cup, often women feel sort of guilty about splurging on top quality lingerie. Instead, they wear crappy, ill-shaped bras made by eight year olds in Honduras. And if your woman has anything beyond a C size pair of pamelas, this will mean that she'll often feel fairly uncomfortable. Imagine every day walking around with a few dry twigs and leaves in your undershorts - that's how some women spend every day because of ill-fitting bras. The BRA CRISIS (why aren't the presidential candidates talking about this?) is so bad, that many women are not even aware they could be WAY more comfortable than they are.

SO - try this:

Look in your yellow pages for lingerie shops, female clothing shops, etc. TELL them you are trying to find the best place in town for your wife to get a bra-fitting and ask them if they have some sort of "bra expert" who could do it. (The few Victoria's Secrets shops I've been in seemed to be staffed by gum-chomping airheads, so be wary). What you need is a HIGH END lingerie shop staffed by serious people, with a WIDE RANGE of available stock, including European bras.

Go check two or three out when you have an hour, and when you find one you think is just the place, introduce yourself to the lady, get her name and card, and buy a gift certificate for 200 bucks. Then set up a time with the lady for a "special consultation". It doesn't matter whether it's during store hours or after hours - the important thing is that your wife be able to open a card on Christmas Day (or her birthday, whatever) and see not just the gift certificate, but a note saying that you have set up a special consultation with so-and-so at X o'clock on Y day, and that you will be taking her down (make a date of it, so to speak).

Now, if you're like most men, you will have heard complaints over the years about bras, so mention specifically that you've remembered the times she's complained about back pain or bra fit or whatever, and that you wanted to give her a chance to really solve the bra thing once and for all.

(By the way, if your lady friend has serious pamelas and needs a good bra, make sure the lingerie shop you go to carries Chantelle http://www.chantelle.com/phpscripts/marque/savoirfaire3.php4?mnf_id=13. They're a bit expensive, but I actually did this for my wife once and that was the only bra in the end she really loved.)

ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING - remind your consultant friend to have a gentle word with your wife/girlfriend about bra care. Shoving bras in the washer and dryer will RUIN them by distorting their shape dramatically. So, especially since you're going to get a really nice, comfy, high-end bra, make sure the consultation includes tips on hand-washing and air-drying, so the thing doesn't lose its shape and support.

ONE LAST IMPORTANT THING - your wife/girlfriend will no doubt be 100% convinced that she's a "D" or whatever. But...the fact is that another bra size might fit her better, and this will take a few minutes for most women to wrap their heads around. So on the way down, say something like "let's ignore the letters and numbers and just try to find bras that are the most comfortable we can, so you feel good all day".

When you get there, your wife will probably start out by saying, "I'm a D". Encourage her to try on different sizes (usually women wear bras that are too small for them, so get a few that are a size or two bigger than she normally wears for her to try).

Good luck. 

2.) A MAKE-UP VERSION

You can do a similar thing with make-up. You can also track down a local make-up artist (for God's sake, make sure they're normal first - some of them are freaks) and hire her to do a full consultation for your wife. Another thing you can do, since most make-up is nothing but overpriced garbage, is check out Paula's Choice, which takes pains to use only the best, most skin-friendly ingredients, in line with the latest dermatological research, and is relatively well-priced. The website is here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/

Not sure if it would arrive in time for Christmas, but you could ask.

And by the way, no woman needs base - it looks gross and is horrible for the skin. Make sure your "make-up consultant" isn't some Jerry Springer type who smears base all over herself. You need someone with a discriminating eye and touch.

3.) LETTER - A very long, emotionally intimate, letter.

OOPS - I'm running out of time and have to do some last minute Christmas shopping myself. Here are a few quick ideas for women.

WOMEN BUYING FOR MEN 

1.) KICK-ASS BOOTS

A lot of guys don't like wearing cowboy boots. They are stylistically rather extreme...plus, the pointy toes look sort of feminine. So, what about a pair of simple, classic, square-toed leather boots, which are more masculine in design, and more appropriate for most casual wear situations?

Check out:

http://www.amazon.com/FRYE-Mens-Harness-Boot-Gaucho/dp/B000JFHQXU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1198359923&sr=1-6

Confederate and Union soldiers wore Frye boots, Teddy Roosevelt and his Roughriders wore them...in fact, the settling of the west wasn't done in a pair of dainty, snakeskin, rhinestone-laden boots, but Fryes exactly like the ones on this link. I've been wearing this exact model for four years and they're awesome.

2.) BETTER COLOGNE

I say "better", because most guys already have cologne (often with the word "leather" in the name :P). And if it's really the best for him, so be it. But I want to put in a plug for the classic Boss stuff - the blue stuff in the flask-shaped bottle (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n:11059721,p_4:Hugo%20Boss&page=1). I have done several smell tests with random women in department stores between it and five or six others, and this stuff always wins. I have found it beats out the "newest, hottest" stuff consistently. And, speaking from personal experience, it elicits a lot of compliments from women.

If that isn't turning your crank, take fifteen minutes, get all the scent cards and a pencil to keep score, and do your own smell test. Then buy him the winner.

By the way, make sure your man doesn't put on more than a single squirt. One blast to the neck with a quick rub on the wrists and he's good to go.

Running out of time...

FAMILY GIFTS

1.) Sick of dealing with expensive, but crappy toasters? Buy the super-cheap Proctor-Silex Cool Touch. It toasts evenly, is totally simple, and is durable - definitely the most bang for the buck in the world of toasters.

2.) Sick of your kids locked in a room by themselves playing Halo 3? Buy a nice family chess set, and/or family Hold 'Em set, and/or Monopoly, and/or Scrabble, and make an appointment with them to play it. (AND, do yourself a favour - before you play Monopoly, read over all the instructions and follow them, rather than going by the weird rules your mom made up, which made the games last for six hours. For example, no one gets money when they land on "Free Parking" in the real game. You can also go to the bookstore today or tomorrow and get this nifty little book: http://www.amazon.com/Monopoly-Companion-Players-Winning-Trivia/dp/1580621759 

We got this book a few years ago and my boys have basically memorized it - which is why their friends now end up crying everytime my kids play Monopoly over at their friends's houses.

Also, if you're wondering how to get the kids interested in chess - depending on how old they are, offer a cash prize for any of them who can beat you. I have a standing offer of ten bucks to anyone who can beat me (as long as none of them can ever beat you, you'll save your money, plus get to spend quality time with them).

Sorry gotta run...More later if anyone wants.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-15

1.) KICK-ASS BOOTS

A lot of guys don't like wearing cowboy boots. They are stylistically rather extreme...plus, the pointy toes look sort of feminine. So, what about a pair of simple, classic, square-toed leather boots, which are more masculine in design, and more appropriate for most casual wear situations?

Check out:

http://www.amazon.com/FRYE-Mens-Harness-Boot-Gaucho/dp/B000JFHQXU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1198359923&sr=1-6

Confederate and Union soldiers wore Frye boots, Teddy Roosevelt and his Roughriders wore them...in fact, the settling of the west wasn't done in a pair of dainty, snakeskin, rhinestone-laden boots, but Fryes exactly like the ones on this link. I've been wearing this exact model for four years and they're awesome.

I have a pair of those exact boots in my closet.  Thanks for the history lesson.

Signature 

“If a Faith that will not bear to be investigated; if its preachers and professors are afraid to have it examined, their foundation must be weak”. George A. Smith August 13th, 1871 Journal of Discourses Vol. 14 pg 216

“As religion is only found in man, so its seed must be in man. Men live always in fear, and make gods of things to praise and blame for their condition.
” - Thomas Hobbes Leviathan

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

Tal, you make a lot more sense then those 80-plus-year-olds in diapers. Thanks for the hints. I sent parts of it to my husband, since one thing on my list was money for bras (not bras themselves.....god forbid he should try buying one FOR me.....) and he hasn't done any shopping for me yet. (He's usually a Christmas Eve buyer.)
 Signature 

I am the girl anachronism

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

Little known fact about me...I used to be a CERTIFIED bra-fitter.    

Now...go put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, my fellow Post-Mos.

Hmmm...I wonder if my certification has expired?

::Thinks some more::

Was I supposed to get continuing education to keep that certification? 

Signature 

In the end no one will sell you what you need,
You can’t buy it off the shelf,
You got to grow it from the seed ~Chris Smither

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-13

Tal Bachman:

2.) Sick of your kids locked in a room by themselves playing Halo 3? Buy a nice family chess set, and/or family Hold 'Em set, and/or Monopoly, and/or Scrabble, and make an appointment with them to play it. (AND, do yourself a favour - before you play Monopoly, read over all the instructions and follow them, rather than going by the weird rules your mom made up, which made the games last for six hours. For example, no one gets money when they land on "Free Parking" in the real game. You can also go to the bookstore today or tomorrow and get this nifty little book: http://www.amazon.com/Monopoly-Companion-Players-Winning-Trivia/dp/1580621759 

Haha, I don't know if that'll work. As a youngin', I would probably still want to play video games as they are about 100x better than board games, even if it's RISK. When I become a parent, I'll be playing video games with my kids instead of forcing them to play scrabble. I agree with hold 'em though, that's pretty much integral to your kids' eduacation. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-26

Those boots are phat.   Frye boots were big in the late 70s and I had a pair.  Glad theyre hip again.  classic! 

Signature 

The change it had to come.  We knew it all along.  We were liberated from the fold, thats all.  - The Who

My brain is for thinking. My feelings are for enjoying what I’ve decided.  Not the Other way around.  - Me

http://www.MrZip66.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Listen, Mr. Zip - certain things don't go out of style. Levi's, white T-shirts, Frye boots, the Beatles, Billie Holiday, John Wayne, the '67 Mustang...they're in a different category.

Aurom - we're not talking playing board games for four hours a day. We're talking about occasionally but regularly. And with some prep, it can be a lot of fun. Like, last Friday I called home and talked to my fourteen year old about having a Poker Night that night, and would JC like to come? (his buddy) I got chips, pop, dip, etc., and we had a blast. You just gotta set it up right with the kids - a nice heads up, encourage them to invite a buddy, promise junk food, etc. It's like you're making sacred memories.

Okay, BeenThere - just do yourself a favor and, if you've got some sizable pamelas, when you go shopping, try out some high-end bras at a high-end place with a qualified fitter a la mamapajama, and try a variety of sizes. The nation's bra crisis must stop!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

I'm on my way out the door to do exactly what Tal said not to do.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Signature 

MY BLOG: http://www.thisisjohns.blogspot.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-26

Tal Bachman:

Listen, Mr. Zip - certain things don't go out of style. Levi's, white T-shirts, Frye boots, the Beatles, Billie Holiday, John Wayne, the '67 Mustang...they're in a different category.

If lovin' john wayne is wrong, i dont wanna be right.

Like the ELO Avatar, thats another classic. 

Signature 

The change it had to come.  We knew it all along.  We were liberated from the fold, thats all.  - The Who

My brain is for thinking. My feelings are for enjoying what I’ve decided.  Not the Other way around.  - Me

http://www.MrZip66.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

I'm with Tal here - some things never go out of style.  My daughter and I were in the Sundance Catalog store the other day in Salt Lake, and I was telling her all about Frye boots, and how I always wanted a pair back in the 70s.  Lo and behold, I look up and there, in front of me, are Frye boots!  I STILL love them.  Maybe someday I'll actually buy me a pair.

And there is one slight problem with going to a high-end bra/undie store.  Once you go there, you'll never accept anything less.  I have developed a new appreciation for quality bras and undies.

And man...I can't IMAGINE putting some of these beautiful, high quality works of art on top of garmies.  Talk about sacrilege!

Signature 

In the end no one will sell you what you need,
You can’t buy it off the shelf,
You got to grow it from the seed ~Chris Smither

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

Alright, mamapajama, what local utah stores do you recommend I try? I have somewhat sizeable pamela's, a little more then a handful, I would think, but I am sick of underwires digging in and the sag......I've been shopping for a decent bra for years because I KNOW they're not supposed to fit that way.
 Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Okay, more present ideas.

MEN BUYING FOR WOMEN

1.) Anna Karenina - There's a reason they call it a classic: "Anna Karenina" is one of the greatest novels ever written - gripping, insightful, masterfully written. Get the "Modern Library" edition if you have a choice.

2.) Coldplay CD - always a good stocking stuffer.

3.) Art equipment - colored pencils, sketch pad, maybe an instruction book, eraser, French curve, etc.

4.) Lessons - tennis lessons, martial arts, origami, whatever she's interested in. Set it up, pay the fee, and give her the info in a card.

5.) Cool faux-antique or leather diary with special pen

WOMEN BUYING FOR MEN

1.) Classic Ruitertassen leather shoulder bag - either the slim one, or the bigger one. See  http://www.mercurius-international.com/product_info.php?cPath=cpath_280_368&products_id=4134    or   http://www.mercurius-international.com/product_info.php?cPath=cpath_280_368&products_id=4131

I know they used to make one which also had detachable backpack straps (in addition to the long shoulder strap), but I couldn't see it on the Ruitertassen on the website.

2.) Man book - "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Rhodes, "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Diamond, "A Man in Full" by Wolfe, "I Am America (and So Can You)" by Colbert, etc.

3.) Acoustic Guitar with Chord Book - Do NOT ask some dude at the music store which acoustic guitar you should get. (I've heard almost as much BS in music stores as I did at Mormon General Conference). Do yourself and your husband a favor and take my advice: call around until you find a place that sells the Yamaha FG720, and get one of those. They sound great, they're really cheap, and they're durable.

If you want to put together a whole guitar package, I recommend .60 mm Jim Dunlop nylon picks, Elixir nanoweb guitar strings (ask for "elevens" - that's a string gauge), a Korg CA-30 tuner, and this chord book: http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Beginners-Guitar-Chords/dp/0711987718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198392599&sr=8-1

If you're rich, you can also get him a capo. Kyser capos are nice.

4.) Electric guitar with amp - Amazingly, you can now find electric guitar and amp sets for under $200 at places like Costco, and even music stores.

5.) Some kind of computer gadget that I don't know anything about.

Merry Christmas!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Been there - try the Chantelle bras I mentioned.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

Never thought I'd be discussing bras with Tal Bachman.....already planning a trip to Nordstroms in SLC, which, BTW for those interested, is the only place in Utah that sales the Chantelle bras (according to their website).

I also second Anna Karenina. Beautiful book. Though for those who have wives that find 10 pound books daunting, you can also try the classical romances: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, Wurthering Heights.....and for bonus bucks, pick up any of the movies (A&E versions are good). And if you want an even more amazing gift, give her a homemade gift card good for one free sit through of said movie.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

beenthere:

And if you want an even more amazing gift, give her a homemade gift card good for one free sit through of said movie.

So.....

Your saying we DON'T have to watch it with her?

Those are great ideas.

Thanks.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

jahedgpeth:
beenthere:

And if you want an even more amazing gift, give her a homemade gift card good for one free sit through of said movie.

So.....

Those are great ideas.

Thanks.

I have a feeling there are a few men on this forum who wouldn't sit with their wives to watch a chick flick.

*cough, cough* J *cough*

So'd you get the scented soap box for the wife, or the bottle of cheap perfume? 

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

beenthere:
jahedgpeth:
beenthere:

So.....

Those are great ideas.

Thanks.

I have a feeling there are a few men on this forum who wouldn't sit with their wives to watch a chick flick.

*cough, cough* J *cough*

So'd you get the scented soap box for the wife, or the bottle of cheap perfume? 

I wouldn't buy cheap perfume. I don't think she would wear it and honestly....I wouldn't want her to.  

I got the $9.96 Soap Box...I forget the scent but it seemed nice on the scratch and sniff sticker on the front of the package. (I kid you not) I honestly hadn't thought about buying one of those until Tal said it was what NOT to do.

I got her and electric blanket, a throw blanket for the living room, some wool socks to wear around the house, some foot warmer packs (in the hunting section; you put them in your shoes) and a Dallas Cowboys t-shirt and some Sudoku puzzle books.  ONE STOP SHOPPING AT MIDNIGHT!

So basically, we are all about staying warm, smelling good and watching football. Gawd I love this woman. She also said she wanted a parenting book for mothers and daughters...but I need go to a bookstore to find the title. Also, for some reason, she wants an over-sized coffee mug. We saw one at Starbucks but she said they were over priced and to get it somewhere else. Walmart doesn't sell coffee mugs of enormous size. I think I'll punk out and just buy the stupid things at Starbucks. I need to get her a decorative plate. She has some sort of Hodge-podge collection going on. She told me she wanted a certain kind over at Pier 1 Imports. I dunno if I'm gonna have time to pick this up. I'll try.

I will probably do the letter as mentioned above by Tal.

I know this all seems cheap. When we were first married 9 years ago, we went bananas on Christmas for each other. One year, I think we spent a couple thousand dollars (one of the gifts was a laptop). Then, we had our children and the focus shifted. We put a spending limit on each other and are very specific about what we want. She told me: "I want an electric blanket, a throw blanket for the living room to match the curtains, something to keep my feet warm and a parenting book for mothers and daughters." In later conversations she mentioned the plate, and the coffee mugs.

The Sudoku and Dallas Cowboys shirt are my own idea. I know she likes both those things and there was room in my gift budget.

I don't buy clothes (lingerie, bras, shirts, blouses, skirts, panties, pants, shoes etc) for gifts. I don't know her size and honestly, I don't trust my judgement.  I assume that too little would be flattering but she would have to take them back and be reminded that the clothes were "too little". Just right would be difficult. I've watched my wife try on clothes....it takes days to get ready to go out. Too big would be insulting for obvious reasons. Thus, clothing is a land mine and I choose to walk cautiously around. Most of all, I don't trust my choice for style etc. Plus, truth be told...I feel like a bit of a jack-ass fumbling through the women's clothing section.

I try to reserve jewelry for Valentines (I hate this holiday; its forced affection) or birthdays. And like I said, "we put a spending limit on each other".

So there you have it; my holiday shopping in a nut shell. She was off all week and I have been working on my mother's flooring. (bit of a reversal) Therefore, she had spare time and took care of all the shopping for my family and hers plus finished off all the rest of the stuff for the kids.

We are done. All I have to do is pick up a pre-paid puppy on Christmas Eve (1/2 Beagle and 1/2 pbgv).Santa must have lost his friggin mind for getting my kids a puppy. I swear, the first time that dog chews my couch, recliner, shoes, etc....I'm gonna....I'm gonna......do nothing.

We are getting a puppy....the thinking has been done.

PS: the puppy is a female. I am now outnumbered, 4 to 1.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

OMG, Frey boots!!!! I remember those [from a few years back]!!! I had a pair and LOVED THEM!!! But, sadly, bought them early one morning instead of after being on my feet all day and sniffsniff, they were too small AND wouldn't stretch out SO eventually I had to give them away.

But I loved them while I had them.... Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Another idea for women is a trip to a spa, local or not so local. Give your mom/wife/sister some very well-deserved pampering. You could even go with her, make it a mini-vacation away from the kids! ... sort of a second honeymoon??!

Signature 

“You can improve your life situation, but you cannot improve your life. Your life situation consists of your circumstances and your experiences. Life is primary, life is your deepest inner Being. It is already whole, complete, perfect.” -Eckhardt Tolle, The Power of Now

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-04

helemon:

1.) KICK-ASS BOOTS

Check out:

I have a pair of those exact boots in my closet.  Thanks for the history lesson.

I have these in black AND brown.  I wear them when riding my Harley.  I didn't realize they were artifacts.

Signature 

Doing stupid things faster and with more energy for slightly longer than Peter_Mary

Here’s to Hartlyn
PinkRibbon.jpg
http://dutchsplace.blogspot.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Wo - I never said don't buy the scented soap basket; I just meant to say that if you're buying it every year, so it has come to mean "I spent the obligatory four seconds thinking about you again", you need to augment it. Sounds like you've done a good job, Jahed.

Big, personalized mugs of some kind are great for guys. "Dad's mug" is the closest thing we have to a royal sceptre now - no one else is allowed to use it...it's a symbol of our at least titular authority as the "head of the home"...

You can get oversized steel mugs at most malls, and get them engraved. Another cool idea might be one of the Oktoberfest mugs, if you can find one that isn't too ornamental. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-12

Fairlight:

Another idea for women is a trip to a spa, local or not so local. Give your mom/wife/sister some very well-deserved pampering. You could even go with her, make it a mini-vacation away from the kids! ... sort of a second honeymoon??!

Great idea. I know I would love that.

Also great, as a suprise, is the at home spa treatment. One day I got home after a hard day at work and DH had prepared a bath for me with good smelling stuff, candles, music, wine and canapes.

It wasn't a holiday or my birthday. He hadn't done anything to piss me off and he didn't want anything from me. It was fabulous.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

jahedgpeth:

All I have to do is pick up a pre-paid puppy on Christmas Eve (1/2 Beagle and 1/2 pbgv).Santa must have lost his friggin mind for getting my kids a puppy. I swear, the first time that dog chews my couch, recliner, shoes, etc....I'm gonna....I'm gonna......do nothing.

Awww, congrats on the new arrival!! You'll have to post pics of the furry cutie. (What's pbgv?) My parents bought my little sis a puppy last year. They were promised it would stay tiny. The thing is bigger then my two year old now.

Watch the ratio....my dad kept trying to turn the odds and ended up with 6 girls, a 7:1 ratio. Wait 10 years, the conversations you'll have at the dinner table will be.....interesting.  You thought bra talking was bad.....

I think you did great on the gift buying. Every woman is different, and it seems you got her exactly what she wanted. DH hates the whole gift idea of Christmas. If it was up to him, we wouldn't give or receive gifts to anyone. Besides, he's the type who wants something and buys it within the week, forget waiting. So I just bought him a couple of shirts. I bought myself some clothes and so he says that's what he's giving me. We try to keep Christmas gifts for ourselves and the kids real low-key as they are absolutely spoiled by my family. (His family is not into the gift giving, either.....case in point, his parents gave DH and I a tube of toothpaste for Christmas. )

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

beenthere:
(His family is not into the gift giving, either.....case in point, his parents gave DH and I a tube of toothpaste for Christmas. )

Is it okay to laugh???  Okay, .  A tube of toothpaste, huh?  Any special significance?? Or are they trying to tell you something??? 

Sounds like the world I live in . . . 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

just me:
beenthere:
(His family is not into the gift giving, either.....case in point, his parents gave DH and I a tube of toothpaste for Christmas. )

Is it okay to laugh . . .???  Okay, .  A tube of toothpaste, huh?  Any special significance??  Or are they trying to tell you something . . .?  

Sounds like the world I live in . . . 

They're just very practical, I suppose. And extremely frugal. (But they're rich.) Toothpase is something we'll have to buy, so they just bought it for us and wrapped it. And it wasn't just any toothpaste, it was Jason's all-natural toothpaste.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

beenthere:
just me:
beenthere:

Is it okay to laugh???  Okay, .  A tube of toothpaste, huh?  Any special significance??  Or are they trying to tell you something?  

Sounds like the world I live in.... 

They're just very practical, I suppose. And extremely frugal. (But they're rich.) Toothpase is something we'll have to buy, so they just bought it for us and wrapped it. And it wasn't just any toothpaste, it was Jason's all-natural toothpaste.

Jason's all-natural toothpaste.  Nice.  Sounds like they're discriminating toothpaste consumers.  Reminds me of the Hallmark motto, "When you care enough to send the very best."  

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

jahedgpeth:

All I have to do is pick up a pre-paid puppy on Christmas Eve (1/2 Beagle and 1/2 pbgv).Santa must have lost his friggin mind for getting my kids a puppy. I swear, the first time that dog chews my couch, recliner, shoes, etc....I'm gonna....I'm gonna......do nothing.

beenthere:
 Awww, congrats on the new arrival!! You'll have to post pics of the furry cutie. (What's pbgv?) My parents bought my little sis a puppy last year. They were promised it would stay tiny. The thing is bigger then my two year old now.

I must admit, I was PBGV (Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen) ignorant until a few short days ago. Here is a pic:

Here is a Beagle pic:

My wife says the puppy looks about 90% beagle but with bushy eyebrows and a extra hair around the mouth. She thinks its adorable so perhaps so willl the girls. The thinking has been done.

beenthere:

Watch the ratio....my dad kept trying to turn the odds and ended up with 6 girls, a 7:1 ratio. Wait 10 years, the conversations you'll have at the dinner table will be.....interesting.  You thought bra talking was bad.....

I think you did great on the gift buying. Every woman is different, and it seems you got her exactly what she wanted. DH hates the whole gift idea of Christmas. If it was up to him, we wouldn't give or receive gifts to anyone. Besides, he's the type who wants something and buys it within the week, forget waiting. So I just bought him a couple of shirts. I bought myself some clothes and so he says that's what he's giving me. We try to keep Christmas gifts for ourselves and the kids real low-key as they are absolutely spoiled by my family. (His family is not into the gift giving, either.....case in point, his parents gave DH and I a tube of toothpaste for Christmas. )

I know its probably not funny....(I apologize in advance...) but...

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH@ toothpaste.....

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

Awww, your puppy is going to be so cute!! And small, which is also a plus....

And don't worry, I find the toothpaste thing hilarious, too. They are generous around the year, giving us things for no reason sometimes, but it's just the idea of toothpaste for Christmas. Plus, these Christmas gifts are usually completed with an itemized list of what they HAVE given us through the last year (prices included) and, in years past, a list of hours they have babysat our children. Just in case we've forgotten all that they have given us.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-16

My wife defies rules for present getting. She always wants the practical things. It drives me nuts.

For example, she has asked for a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. Really. Every book I have ever read about how not to be an ass of a husband has said never do buy things like that for a woman as a present. When we were first married, she bought me things like socks or shoes for presents. In my family, presnets were rarely practical so that was a shock for me. One year, she bought me temple clothes for my birthday. I was a total believer then, but I felt totally ripped off. 

Over the years, we have both tempered a bit and she has learned to receive (and give) more fun presents and I have learned to appreciate giving (and receiving) practical ones. We have a pretty good mix now.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-16

Oh and while no substitute for a personal bra fitting, one can find fun lingerie and PJs here:

http://www.hippieskivvies.com 

RankRank
Joined  2007-12-21

Christmas is a farse....and stop chopping down trees....

Give of yourself...stop shopping for gifts...

Image Attachments
tree.gif
images.jpg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-02

Way to stomp on the holiday, Art. You could at least try to be polite and nice.
 Signature 

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
All Fun and Games
Celestial Wedgie
former victim
Lord of Darkness
That Will Do
Troubled Wife

Logged in: 6