FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

1 of 2
So does anyone know Craig Jessop

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-03

I was reading that Craig Jessop abruptly just quit as the director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.    Does anyone know why?  

The article I read says he wants to spend more time with family etc.    But, I find it hard to believe that, and perhaps I'm just being cynical.   

Is it possible he just discovered the truth about the Corporation?   Does he have some health issues?    Does anyone know the rest of the story ??

Signature 

“The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

If this is the guy I saw on the news this morning. I was just assuming that he is just retiring..it is possible though of other things. Not knowing how everything works there for the tabernacle people..but I am sure that Jessop aware of many recent problems involving the choir/orchestra..I will look this up..thanks!!
 Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-04

Probably a sin issue.
 Signature 

Doing stupid things faster and with more energy for slightly longer than Peter_Mary

Here’s to Hartlyn
PinkRibbon.jpg
http://dutchsplace.blogspot.com

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

It is in the trib this morning..section B..but it just says he is stepping down and will still pursue teaching music. Hard to say other than it is voluntary...
 Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

Devil :

I was reading that Craig Jessop abruptly just quit as the director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.    Does anyone know why?  

The article I read says he wants to spend more time with family etc.    But, I find it hard to believe that, and perhaps I'm just being cynical.   

Is it possible he just discovered the truth about the Corporation?   Does he have some health issues?    Does anyone know the rest of the story ??

That would be awesome....CRAIG JESSOP if you see this....PLEASE let us know!  We don't bite!

I went to the last years of the Music Training Workshops at BYU before they were cancelled (big bummer) and Craig Jessop was an instructor.  He transformed the MoTab when he came on.  They sound sooooo much better.

I hope he's wide awake and I think if he has done all of his homework, gotten rid of any cognitive dissonance, he'll be a great example for those to follow who are holding back. 

I know the motab can be a peyton place!  I've heard rumors from within. 

Signature 

“A preoccupation with the future not only prevents us from seeing the present as it is, but often prompts us to rearrange the past.” Eric Hoffer

Pastor: Dear Lord, without you we are but dust.
Worried Child: Mom, what is butt dust?

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

Well he isn't resigning for more time with family..or just that..as he is going to work again. Ooooooo...c'min Jessop...
 Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-04

He might just be retiring.  I noticed in his bio that he is a retired Air Force officer, so he may be going fishing.
 Signature 

Doing stupid things faster and with more energy for slightly longer than Peter_Mary

Here’s to Hartlyn
PinkRibbon.jpg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

Dutch:
He might just be retiring.  I noticed in his bio that he is a retired Air Force officer, so he may be going fishing.

But the article did say he was going back to his original plan of teaching.

He has won the Choir an awful lot of awards though..

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-04

My Turn:
Dutch:

But the article did say he was going back to his original plan of teaching.

He has won the Choir an awful lot of awards though..

I used to teach.  That isn't work - that's fun.  Especially if he is going to do it as an adjunct.  He can teach only when he wants to, and go fishing the rest of the time.

Signature 

Here’s to Hartlyn
PinkRibbon.jpg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-09

The DesNews article makes it sound rather abrupt:

Link

Mormon Tabernacle Choir music director Craig Jessop resigned Tuesday night during a meeting with members of the choir, leaving the group stunned and emotional, according to one source.

He made the announcement to choir members following a regular rehearsal. Associate music director Mack Wilberg will serve as interim choir director.

Jessop apparently read a letter to choir members announcing his resignation. At first, one source said, the group wasn't sure who the letter was from. Then it began to dawn on them.

A press release issued late Tuesday night by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints quoted Jessop as saying, "I now find myself at a major crossroads of life. With long and prayerful consideration I have decided to resign as director of the choir.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

::hypatia scratching her head::

Me suspects there is something else going on here...it will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Signature 

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.”
                      -Hypatia of Alexandria

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-29

For his sake, I hope he's found his way out of the matrix. Funny, I totally thought the same thing last night when they announced this on KSL news. It would be hard, though, coming from such a high profile position. If he really resigned over discovering the truth about the church, that's some serious integrity dude.
 Signature 

In a way all of us have an El Guapo to face someday.
http://digitalplates.blogspot.com/

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-28

On another board there is speculation that his resignation is tied to the Danzig uproar, which was my first thought when I heard the news last night. 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-05

I have it on good authority that Jessop refused to kiss Monson's enormous Ass.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

brokenshelf:
On another board there is speculation that his resignation is tied to the Danzig uproar, which was my first thought when I heard the news last night. 

This was my first thought too.  When I read about Danzig, I thought

I remembered him having to talk to the directors (all) of the choir.

More to this than we think...

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

Cr@ig P@xton:

Really??????

do tell--you can leave out the messenger....  curiouser and curiouser.....

What was written on the Monster's ass that Jessop didn't like?  To sing at all the widow's funerals??  sorry if that's catty,  but yeah

Signature 

“A preoccupation with the future not only prevents us from seeing the present as it is, but often prompts us to rearrange the past.” Eric Hoffer

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-31

WestBerkeleyFlats:

The DesNews article makes it sound rather abrupt:

Link

Mormon Tabernacle Choir music director Craig Jessop resigned Tuesday night during a meeting with members of the choir, leaving the group stunned and emotional, according to one source.

He made the announcement to choir members following a regular rehearsal. Associate music director Mack Wilberg will serve as interim choir director.

Jessop apparently read a letter to choir members announcing his resignation. At first, one source said, the group wasn't sure who the letter was from. Then it began to dawn on them.

A press release issued late Tuesday night by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints quoted Jessop as saying, "I now find myself at a major crossroads of life. With long and prayerful consideration I have decided to resign as director of the choir.

When I heard the "major crossroads of life" part on the news last night, I wondered if he was leaving the church too. Someone in that kind of position doesn't usually leave so abruptly. Retirements are generally planned for and celebrated, with a replacement already chosen, not an interim director.

Signature 

19th wife of Zelph

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-20

Dutch:
Probably a sin issue.

OK, this made me laugh out loud!   Thank you Dutch.

I would think if he was simply retiring he'd give some sort of notice and leave time for a transition - especially so close to conference. There was definitely something going on here. The 'major crossroads' is a red flag too.

This could be interesting.

Signature 

“Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.”

Groucho Marx

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-31

Cr@ig P@xton:

Is this true?  I actually wondered if Monson had anything to do with it.  I understand that Monson is, to put it lightly, not the easiest person to like or get along with.

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Being a musician and knowing the MoTab Choir organization I feel confident this is not normal.  My impression of Craig Jessop is very good.  From everything I know of him he was nice to everyone.  Professional conductors do not leave their posts abruptly under normal circumstances.  They are not that easy to replace and the schedule is made months, even years in advance.  There is a lot going on right now with the Temple Square Chorale, Conference and the Easter Concert.  I don't think Craig Jessop would leave all that on Mack Wilberg out of the blue for no reason.  I think there must be very difficult circumstances behind this.  Either he has very pressing personal matters to attend to or I think he was forced out.  I actually think it is the latter because if it were the other I think the choir staff at least would have quickly prepared some quick presentation of thanks and appreciation.  This is not the first director to leave abruptly.  I wish Craig Jessop all the best and cannot imagine who the church thinks they will find to replace him.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-18

Dutch:
Probably a sin issue.

Maybe he was offended by another ward member? Thats the 1 other possible reason for leaving the church, right?

Signature 

Think for yourself
  question everything.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

Tonight on the news they said that the choir was really surprised at this decision and didn't see it coming. This is so.o.o. weird isn't it??
 Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

I found this comment board on Deseret News about the Jessop resignation

http://deseretnews.com/user/comments/save/1,5237,,00.html

It leads me to think that IF Craig Jessop did resign due to issues, these feedback comments would have a tendency to keep him MUM about the whole thing.

But ya never know! 

I'm still very curious!

Signature 

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

Something has to be up with that. No one quits right before a general conference. And that article says Tommy visited the choir the week before Craig announced he was leaving. Something's rotten in the great and spacious building.
 Signature 

“If you give a moose a muffin, he’ll want some jam to go with it.”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-20

The news release at LDS.org gives a subtle hint that there may have been some annimosity on the part of the church.  The release begins:

Craig Jessop, renowned music director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, has resigned from his assignment after over a decade of outstanding service with the choir. 

His assignment?  No.  He quit his job!  This tells me that the church somehow felt that he betrayed them by bailing out on this assignment.  Granted, this is very sublte, but it demonstrates a certain mindset by the church.  They seem to view this as a calling/assignment directly from God rather than a job.

I'm sure that to some degree, Jessop viewed it the same way.  But at this point, the simple reality of it was that he quit his job.  There may be an issue of Jessop not giving proper notice and leaving them in a bind, but that is an employer/employee issue.

Signature 

I believe in two things; discipline and the Bible.  Here you’ll receive both.  Put your trust in the Lord.  Your ass belongs to me.  Welcome to Shawshank! - Warden Samuel Norton

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

Andy:
But at this point, the simple reality of it was that he quit his job.  There may be an issue of Jessop not giving proper notice and leaving them in a bind, but that is an employer/employee issue.

Undoubtedly he is a wonderful man SOOOO the $64M question is ... what happened to force him to quit so abruptly??

LDSInc seems to have gotten exactly as much notice of resignation as they earned in how they treated him.

Way to go, Jessop!!! applause!!

Signature 

“You can improve your life situation, but you cannot improve your life. Your life situation consists of your circumstances and your experiences. Life is primary, life is your deepest inner Being. It is already whole, complete, perfect.” -Eckhardt Tolle, The Power of Now

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-22

Apparently we're not the only ones wondering.  See today's SL Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8472437

Signature 

No cat, no cradle.
-Kurt Vonnegut

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

Hal :

Apparently we're not the only ones wondering.  See today's SL Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8472437

to quote the last paragraph of the article:

The choir director is a full-time, paid position. Like the volunteer singers and soloists, the director must be a Mormon who follows church practices such as paying tithing and forgoing alcohol, tobacco, coffee and tea. Choir members rehearse and perform about five hours in an average week - Thursday nights for two hours and Sunday mornings for more than three hours.

Also the comment about him staying in the field of music...implies to me that he's not staying in the field of the mormon church....but yeah, I realize that's an optimistic implication I'm reading into it.  

I hope more light is shed on it.  If he really is leaving the church, I can only imagine the whirlwind of emotions he's in right now.  But I think time would heal and he'd come out with a statement of some stort....somewhere....I think he's an awesome amazing person.  The postmo world would be honored to have him be a part of it along with the other awesome amazing people in it already

God I hope it's true!!! 

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-04

The readers' comments are hilarious!  Particularly page 6, 11:35 AM March 6.  Funny as Hell!

Signature 

Here’s to Hartlyn
PinkRibbon.jpg

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-31

Here's an interesting comment, I think from page 5:

"Members of the Temple Square Orchestra have been advised that Jessop resigned rather than bow to demands that he name names of members who he thought may either be gay or harbor dissent towards church policies. Being a professional and loyal to his musicians, Jessop chose to resign. This is a sad day for the church and perhaps the beginning of the Monson Inquisition Era. Bravo to Maestro Jessop for his moral courage. We need more people like him. Shame on the Church for engaging in good old fashioned witch hunting. "

Signature 

19th wife of Zelph

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-20

Fairlight:

Undoubtedly he is a wonderful man SOOOO the $64M question is ... what happened to force him to quit so abruptly??

I'm pretty sure that it's just that he found postmormon.org!

Truly, this is unusual, and I suspect that he is making a statement (by resigning).  However, I'm guessing that there won't be a Jessop-authored Kiss 'N Tell book, but wouldn't it be interesting!

Signature 

In the end no one will sell you what you need,
You can’t buy it off the shelf,
You got to grow it from the seed ~Chris Smither

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

mamapajama:
Fairlight:

I'm pretty sure that it's just that he found postmormon.org!

Truly, this is unusual, and I suspect that he is making a statement (by resigning).  However, I'm guessing that there won't be a Jessop-authored Kiss 'N Tell book, but wouldn't it be interesting!

It would be interesting mama!!  There is nothing like watching the

present unfold to reveal the truth of the past.  It is exciting to me!!

I hope that there will someday be a forthcoming book written by this

man.

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-16

Winyan:

Here's an interesting comment, I think from page 5:

"Members of the Temple Square Orchestra have been advised that Jessop resigned rather than bow to demands that he name names of members who he thought may either be gay or harbor dissent towards church policies. Being a professional and loyal to his musicians, Jessop chose to resign. This is a sad day for the church and perhaps the beginning of the Monson Inquisition Era. Bravo to Maestro Jessop for his moral courage. We need more people like him. Shame on the Church for engaging in good old fashioned witch hunting. "

If this is true, the guy is a bonafide hero. Isn't interesting to note the contrast between someone who actually "stands for something" and someone who just talked about it?

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

Zim:

If this is true, the guy is a bonafide hero. Isn't interesting to note the contrast between someone who actually "stands for something" and someone who just talked about it?

YEP!  Contrast noted.  So, is it true?  Hmmmmmmmm how can we find out!!!???  Anyone out there? 

Anyone? 

Anyone?

Hey how about the Danzig's? Does anyone know them and want to ask a question or two?

Also...another observation:  the post-mormon theory also makes sense in that he resigned before conference....meaning he couldn't in good conscious direct at a clone-fest of blather.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Perhaps Jessop will be a modern day Joshua and his music will bring the walls tumbling down.

Signature 

“It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.”  (Bhagavad Gita via eat, pray, love)

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

OK...so I read through the Des News feedbacks and mine was removed....how NOT surprising!  All I asked was if there was any connection between the resignation and the Danzig issue. 

Actually P Danzig posted a comment full of nothing but praise for Jessop....not removed.

BUT...someone posted a hint that there's an opening in the quorum of the 12 apostles......what a bummer that would be.  ohmigawd, please say it isn't so!

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-16

All I know is, if there is a heaven, Mr. Jessop has a reserved seat up there. He has used his talents to bring so much inspirational beauty into the world. I hope he's doing OK.
 Signature 

“It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.” -Abraham Lincoln

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-10

If he is now a post-mormon I for one (with extensive choral singing to my credit) would love to volunteer for the pomotab.

That's probably the only reason I'd actually attend another church. Just to sing in choirs.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

library:

If he is now a post-mormon I for one (with extensive choral singing to my credit) would love to volunteer for the pomotab.

That's probably the only reason I'd actually attend another church. Just to sing in choirs.

Yeah..I miss the choir..singing with a group.  With all the talent in postmo,

we could really have a good postmo-tab!  Beautiful songs and a background

of WFS, peter_mary, Epic and everybodies pics..  Hey..all we need is

OUR conductor!!  Hopefully , he is our man.

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-24

My Turn:
library:

Yeah..I miss the choir..singing with a group.  With all the talent in postmo,

we could really have a good postmo-tab!  Beautiful songs and a background

of WFS, peter_mary, Epic and everybodies pics..  Hey..all we need is

OUR conductor!!  Hopefully , he is our man.

Well....if he's not a postmo, I want to apply for the position.  I was a choir director (thanks to his training/inspiration...and yet nowhere in his league) and I loved that calling.  I did it the last 2 years I was active but a closet doubter...because I didn't have to teach doctrines I didn't believe in. 

And hey, my choir loved me directing them.  It's the only place I could command some power and adoration.  ward choir  .....woo hoo.     I'm going to go out on a limb here and be REAL honest in saying that it's the quirkiest thing about me....I'm not a great singer or actor but I can direct a mean choir and a mean play.    And y'know, is Steven Spielberg an actor???? 

I hope I don't live to regret my self-absorbed comment.  Please be nice!  But this whole thing with Jessop and stuff has me reminiscing.....sigh.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-06

So it's been a little bit since this got started and I was wondering if anybody had an update yet? SOO curious!

1 of 2

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.

Logged in: 1
Not logged in: 61
Logged in anonymous: 1
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9736
Essays and the truth
by ShadowSage
Gender Equality