FACEBOOK INFO
Barn
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
Starfleet
October 5th PostMormon Lecture Series 2014
alvie
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

Mormon Mason: New Grand Master is the First in a Century Who is LDS

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

I know this question has come up before, I did not know the Masons began allowing LDS members as of 60 years ago. Link:

It's been nearly a quarter of a century since Freemasons in Utah rescinded a 60-year ban that prohibited Latter-day Saints from joining their fraternity. And while many remember the religious division that had characterized Freemasonry in the Beehive State from pioneer times, Glen Cook believes he is evidence that things are changing among his Masonic brethren.

Cook, a Salt Lake criminal defense attorney and Brigham Young University law school graduate, is believed to be the first member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be elected grand master in Utah in nearly a century, overseeing the activities of several lodges around the state and looking to make the group more open to public understanding.

During a recent tour of the Masonic Temple in downtown Salt Lake City following his installation in February, Cook said there are definite misconceptions about Freemasonry in Utah, particularly among Latter-day Saints, "but there's also some reality there as well."

Church founder Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum, were members of the Masonic lodge in Nauvoo, Ill., in the early 1840s, and historians have written in detail about the role of fellow Masons in the murder of the two men in June 1844. Smith's successor, President Brigham Young, and the three succeeding presidents of the church all were made Masons in the Nauvoo Lodge, as were many who presided in church hierarchy during and following Joseph Smith's death.

After leaving the Midwest for what was then the Utah Territory, most Latter-day Saints eventually ceased active involvement with Freemasonry, despite the fact that lodges were chartered here beginning in 1859. Cook said he thinks pioneer Latter-day Saints simply were too busy trying to build a city in the desert and serving their church to participate. Some historians have speculated about whether Freemasonry was discouraged by LDS leaders.

Whether or not that was the case, religious tension within the organization escalated to the point that, in 1925, "the Utah Grand Lodge Code precluded any Mormon ... totally from any relationship whatsoever" with Masonry in Utah, according to author Mervin Hogan's 1978 book, "The Origin and Growth of Utah Masonry and Its Conflict With Mormonism."

That provision of the code remained in force until 1984, when it was rescinded.

Freemasonry is not a religious practice, but confusion about what it is stems in part from the fact that the fraternity is believed by many historians to have originated in the ancient world because its symbols and rituals bear some similarity to sacred ceremonies that existed among the Egyptians, Coptic Christians, Israelites and even the Catholic and Protestant liturgies — all thought to have some common biblical source.

Many believe it originated with the stone masons who worked on Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, though no definitive evidence of that legend is known to exist. Others speculate that its tenets were had by Enoch, and possibly by Adam. Scholars have documented evidence that institutional Masonry dates back only to the Middle Ages, when great European cathedrals were being built by guilds of stone masons who practiced "the craft."

Cook said the fact that membership requires belief in a supreme being and a willingness to make obligations to fellow Masons through Masonic rituals and symbols that bear some limited similarity to LDS temple ceremonies also foster a misunderstanding of what the fraternity is, and is not.

"There is no question that elements of the (LDS temple) endowment and Masonic ritual are similar," Cook said. "The question for faithful Latter-day Saints is whether that makes a difference. I tend to be a rather concrete thinker."

For those who accept Joseph Smith as a prophet and believe he actually saw God and Jesus Christ in vision as a precursor to restoration of Christ's ancient church, "then the rest, I would suggest, should be a corollary" of that belief.

"I think sometimes we spend too much time worrying about issues that don't really matter to our salvation."

Nothing in LDS faith or practice precludes Latter-day Saints from becoming Masons, he said, though family and church obligations may limit the amount of time Mormon men can spend in other pursuits like Masonry.

"Freemasonry should be an adjunct to your faith and not a barrier to its exercise," Cook said. "I tell people that the only secrets we have are modes of recognition and the passwords. For those, you have to look on the Internet."

The "Encyclopedia of Mormonism" addresses questions about the faith's view of the fraternity, noting "the philosophy and major tenets of Freemasonry are not fundamentally incompatible with the teaching, theology and doctrines of the Latter-day Saints. Both emphasize morality, sacrifice, consecration and service, and both condemn selfishness, sin and greed. Furthermore, the aim of Masonic ritual is to instruct — to make truth available so that man can follow it."

The ritual resemblances between the two "are limited to a small proportion of actions and words," according to the encyclopedia, and "where the two rituals share symbolism, the fabric of meanings is different."

Cook said he sees signs within the Utah fraternity that a new openness is developing toward the community at large, and toward Latter-day Saints in particular, evidenced not only by his recent installation in ceremonies that were open to the public, but also in a willingness to acknowledge the faith in ways it hasn't previously been recognized.

On Feb. 2, during meetings before his formal installation took place, Cook said "a seasoned brother came to me and said, 'We should have a moment of silence for (deceased LDS Church) President (Gordon B.) Hinckley,"' as his funeral was taking place. "At 11 a.m., the grand master called the Grand Lodge of Utah to silence for that."

Later in the day, as members were having lunch together in the Masonic Temple downtown, someone mentioned that President Hinckley's funeral cortege would be passing their building shortly. "A group of Masons gathered on the front steps for that, not limited by religion, and stood with their hands over their hearts as the cortege passed," Cook said.

"I think those three things really signaled to me the change that has come about. ... I think LDS culture has changed, and that today, civic activities are not inappropriate."

As for what he plans to emphasize during his term as the 137th grand master of Utah, Cook said he will focus on the fraternal tenets of brotherly love, belief and truth.

"I find Freemasonry to be something at which to marvel, to be something which I view in awe," Cook wrote in a recent message published in a fraternal newsletter. "In a world in which men war and shed the blood of the innocent based on race, ethnicity and tribe, we have united ... without regard to the color of a man's skin, caring only about the tenor of his heart."

In short, Masons "are men who try to lead moral and upright lives. They contribute significantly not only on a private basis, but in a public way" as well, he said, noting they fund Shriner's Hospital for Children, help with arthritis research and other community causes.

"It's the place where I've found friends, men who have cared for me and my family and hold the moral values that I hold."

At least the guy didn't have to learn another set of handshakes!

Signature 

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.”
                      -Hypatia of Alexandria

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

I guess he's okay with duality. Back home in Colorado one of the most loyal lodge members (if fact I think he was grand master of the local lodge) was also a member of our ward. Sort of a cultural Mason-cultural Mormon thing?  Interesting story; thanks for sharing. 

hartlyn

Signature 

“It is absurd to divide people into good and bad.  People are either charming or tedious.”  Oscar Wilde

I want to be zen, but people keep pissing me off

RankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

In any organization there are the worker bees and there are the queen/king bees. Those work silently to keep the organization working, donating hours of work, and time to keep things going and alive, The queen/king, show up to the important things, dressed to kill, and putting on a show for those around, with an attitude of "look at me" The work they do is to show how important they are. They impress the other queen/king bees and get their nod of approval. Glen Cook is such a bee. Arrogant, vain and a title seeker. He will say and do all the "right" things to gain approval from all the other queen/king bees. Knowing him personally, I can't begin to tell you how many times this man has walked past me without so much as a hello, or kiss my ass. My husband is a worker bee and at one time was involved fairly heavily in the grand officers associated with the Grand Master. He avoided us on more than one occasion, even turning his head when I said Hello. I find his comments to be all talk and no action. He is condescending and has an agenda to further himself and no other. Just because he says the right things about Masonry and the Mormons does not mean that he lives it. Disclaimer: These are my own thoughts and may not reflect the thoughts and actions of others.
 Signature 

A sunflower, from birth to death will stretch and bend to always seek the light.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

sunflower:
The queen/king, show up to the important things, dressed to kill, and putting on a show for those around, with an attitude of "look at me" The work they do is to show how important they are. They impress the other queen/king bees and get their nod of approval. Glen Cook is such a bee. Arrogant, vain and a title seeker. He will say and do all the "right" things to gain approval from all the other queen/king bees. Knowing him personally, I can't begin to tell you how many times this man has walked past me without so much as a hello, or kiss my ass. My husband is a worker bee and at one time was involved fairly heavily in the grand officers associated with the Grand Master.

Wow. Sounds like 'the man who would be king'  and the tunnel-vision to get to the top of the social and political  pyramid, so to speak.

I love your analogy to the unquestioning (my word) worker and vain king/queen bees....seems to fit a number of religious, political, and professional organizations I am aware of.

Signature 

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.”
                      -Hypatia of Alexandria

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21

I'm sorry, but doesn't it make sense that JS became a mason, was sworn to secrecy and then they found out that was not keeping their traditions secret when he tried to pass them off as his own revelation. The whole reason he had mobs following him was because of all the people he screwed over under the table. Wouldn't that make sense as to why the masons didn't allow lds people to join for so long?

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-09

Kristi:
I'm sorry, but doesn't it make sense that JS became a mason, was sworn to secrecy and then they found out that was not keeping their traditions secret when he tried to pass them off as his own revelation. The whole reason he had mobs following him was because of all the people he screwed over under the table. Wouldn't that make sense as to why the masons didn't allow lds people to join for so long?

Nice point!

Signature 

“The truth shall make you free, but first it shall piss you off!”

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

It was only several years ago in Utah that a Mormon couldn't be a Mason.  I had an uncle who moved here from Cal. who practiced Masonry and Mormonism there, but wasn't allowed by the Masons to practice Masonry here in Utah.  He had a hard time with that concept.  I think the contempt the Masons had for JS carried over to the move to Utah. 

BY was also Mason and was friends with Albert Pike, a 33rd degree Mason, who wrote "Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry".  You'd think that  friendship would have been enough to allow practicing Mormon Masons in Utah unless JS revealing of the Masonic ritual was the reason it wasn't allowed. 

Pike hated the blacks and so did BY and as we know BY is the one who denied the priesthood to the blacks. Pike was involved in starting the Ku Klux Clan.  JS and BY are on the list of famous Masons, but there are also secret Masons who will not show up on any list.

Howdimissthat

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-15

hartlyn:

I guess he's okay with duality. Back home in Colorado one of the most loyal lodge members (if fact I think he was grand master of the local lodge) was also a member of our ward. Sort of a cultural Mason-cultural Mormon thing?  Interesting story; thanks for sharing. 

hartlyn

Back home where in Colorado? My uncle was a Mason in Hayden and my cousin's husband is a Mason in greeley.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-31

howdimissthat:

It was only several years ago in Utah that a Mormon couldn't be a Mason.  I had an uncle who moved here from Cal. who practiced Masonry and Mormonism there, but wasn't allowed by the Masons to practice Masonry here in Utah.  He had a hard time with that concept.  I think the contempt the Masons had for JS carried over to the move to Utah. 

BY was also Mason and was friends with Albert Pike, a 33rd degree Mason, who wrote "Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry".  You'd think that  friendship would have been enough to allow practicing Mormon Masons in Utah unless JS revealing of the Masonic ritual was the reason it wasn't allowed. 

Pike hated the blacks and so did BY and as we know BY is the one who denied the priesthood to the blacks. Pike was involved in starting the Ku Klux Clan.  JS and BY are on the list of famous Masons, but there are also secret Masons who will not show up on any list.

Howdimissthat

Yes... Back in the 60's I heard there were some church leaders who were still masons. Don't remember the names now.

Signature 

19th wife of Zelph

RankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

At the time that masonry started in Utah it was under the Nevada Jurisdiction. The Grand Master of Nevada had decided that because of the supposed "anti americanism" from the Mormons toward the civil war that Mormons could not be Mason's. It stayed this way until I believe 1980, where it was allowed that Mormons could become Masons. This is the year my husband joined. When he petitioned to become a mason he had to ask the church to take his name off the records. It took 8 months and several heated exchanges and threat of a lawyer to get the church to comply. Their compliance consisted of a church court which he did not attend and was excommunicated. The rule no mormons to be masons was in Utah/Nevada only.
 Signature 

A sunflower, from birth to death will stretch and bend to always seek the light.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-31

care:

I do not recollect purposely ignoring a greeting.  I am embarrased to think I did so.  I apologize.  I hope it will be accepted that the discourtesy was due to carelessness and not intent.

Glen Cook

Welcome to the board!

Signature 

19th wife of Zelph

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-10

care:

I do not recollect purposely ignoring a greeting.  I am embarrased to think I did so.  I apologize.  I hope it will be accepted that the discourtesy was due to carelessness and not intent.

Glen Cook

Welcome, Glen!  I have no idea what you are talking about, especially considering this was apparently your very first post.....so, no apology needed on my end!

Signature 

The only true currency in this bankrupt world if what we share with someone else when we’re uncool.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-12

care:

Glen Cook

::The Pirate looks around::

::scratches head::

::goes back out, comes in again::

Nope, still don't see who Glen's apologizing to...

Signature 

-The Pirate...(arriving 200 years too late…)

...I’m not the first, won’t be the last.  Lust for the future, treasure the past… proud.jpg

“Make sure that your moral compass is set due ‘the right thing’.”  -Emerson Cod

This post has been reviewed for it’s content, and has been found to comply with the general concept of the mission of this website and it’s management.  Approved for submission by member #1087.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

ok, I missed something... when did the morg start admitting that JS, BY et al were masons, that the temple ceremony was masonic in origin (so much for "inspired of God") and allow tbms to be masons without taking their membership from them first?
 Signature 

“You can improve your life situation, but you cannot improve your life. Your life situation consists of your circumstances and your experiences. Life is primary, life is your deepest inner Being. It is already whole, complete, perfect.” -Eckhardt Tolle, The Power of Now

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-26

care:

Glen Cook

Hello Glen, Welcome to the board. 

You could be an interesting addition to this forum. 

I am just curious about the masons.  I know that if I were interested I could dig up what masons do on the internet but I am not interested in the mechanics of masonic rituals.  I am interested in why they do it.  What benefit is there in spending your time in an exclusive club with exclusive handshakes and all?   

The exclusiveness of the temple always bugged me but I played that game because I believed my eternal salvation depended upon it.  I went to the temple as little as possible because it seemed like a weird place.  I can't imagine wanting to spend my evening hanging out in a fancy hall dressed in funny clothes, hanging out with a bunch of guys.  Am I correct there are no women?

I am not trying to diss the masons or any other exclusive club.  I am asking because exclusive clubs are a big part of society and I think I would be better off understanding what they are about. Perhaps there are others on this forum that really loved going to the temple back when they were believers.  I would like to understand that too.

PS I have greeting before too. Everybody does.

Signature 

“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Alice in Wonderland.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

I knew about the Masonic connection because we have the book (very small book) Freemasonry Exposed, by Capt. William Morgan.  Their signs and symbols and verbage are very close to the temple endowment as this book, printed in 1827, shows.  The temple ceremony goes to the third degree of Masonry ritual which is the level JS went to.  The 33rd degree is the highest we hear much about  but there are many higher levels, (they go to around 90 degrees/levels)  each with added oaths.  

The story is that the Masonic Rite is the apostate version of the real honest to God-ness version we use.  William Morgan was murdered, supposedly because he exposed the Masonic Rite.  They take their blood oath seriously.  I have heard it is even speculated that JS was murdered by Masons for the same reason, exposing the Masonic rituals as a temple endowment, speculation but possible. 

BY is wearing a Masonic pin on his lapel in a picture that hangs in the Beehive House.  Beehives are a Masonic symbol, lions are a Masonic symbol (Lion House, BY was known as the lion), too many coincidences to ignore a connection to Masonry and BY.  Several early prophets were Masons. 

An interesting side note is that after Capt. Morgan was murdered, JS married his widow, I don't remember which # she was but she is on the list. 

The homage paid to Pres. Hinkcley makes me suspicious, but that is little old suspicious me, there is no evidence to make any connection.   I do know there are secret Masons that no one will ever find out about.  Why is that I wonder?  You have to get beyond the public media version of Masonry and the good they do, get to the upper levels above the 33rd degree, to have a true understanding of what Masonry is all about.  The fact that they will carry out blood oaths is a red flag for me.  Of course I  sound crazy I know that.  But is an interesting subject to learn about.  

If you want to learn about the Masonic connecitons you have to go looking, the church doesn't volunteer much,  they bat their eyes just enough to cover their butts.

Howdimissthat   

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-10

Fairlight:
ok, I missed something... when did the morg start admitting that JS, BY et al were masons, that the temple ceremony was masonic in origin (so much for "inspired of God") and allow tbms to be masons without taking their membership from them first?

It's well documented in History of the Church. Volume 4, pg 552, Joseph himself writes :

March 16 (1842) I was with the Masonic Lodge and rose to the sublime degree.  

As I understand Masonry, that is the 32nd degree, or "Master Mason."

The brethren actually held a number of official meetings in the Masonic Lodge. In fact, the initial organizational meeting for the Relief Society was held in the Nauvoo Masonic Lodge.

Signature 

The only true currency in this bankrupt world if what we share with someone else when we’re uncool.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-10

And in case you were wondering, it was May 1842, less than two months after Smith became a Master Mason, that he instructed the leaders (including Brigham Young and Heber Kimball) in the endowment ceremony with its handshakes and tokens.

Coincidence? No.

Signature 

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-04

The sublime degree is the 3rd degree.  They didn't get too far but the signs and tokens we use are what the 3rd degree Masons use in their ritual, or we use to until we made all the short cut changes.

Howdimissthat

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

Sorry I wasn't clearer... when did the morg itself publicly admit to masonry? There was ZERO mention of this when I was last in the cult ... I left around the late 1990s and would have considered anyone who spoke of masonry to be stan's buddy for sure because of all the cult programming. This article is from the Dez News... shocking for this former BIC gal to see this discussion in the Dez News!!

Thanks!

Signature 

“You can improve your life situation, but you cannot improve your life. Your life situation consists of your circumstances and your experiences. Life is primary, life is your deepest inner Being. It is already whole, complete, perfect.” -Eckhardt Tolle, The Power of Now

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-10

howdimissthat:

The sublime degree is the 3rd degree.  They didn't get too far but the signs and tokens we use are what the 3rd degree Masons use in their ritual, or we used to  until we made all the short cut changes.

Howdimissthat

Cool. I stand corrected. My brother is a 32nd sublime something or other, and I thought that's what he was talking about. 

Wouldn't mind giving Joseph Smith the 3rd degree myself.

It sounds as though whether 3rd or 103rd that he simply adapted existing rituals to his own purposes.

Signature 

Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-07

Piratitude:
care:

Glen Cook

::The Pirate looks around::

::scratches head::

::goes back out, comes in again::

Nope, still don't see who Glen's apologizing to...

It's a response to Sunflower2.  See post #2 above. 

Signature 

As Neo reaches for the red pill Morpheus warns Neo
“Remember, all I’m offering is the truth. Nothing more.”

RankRank
Joined  2007-04-10

To be honest with you I am unable to find the original post by care/glen cook where he supposdly apologized for ignoring me.

If Mr. Cook did post that and I am not sure that he did because I cannot locate it, although I found the references to his post, I have a couple things to say to you.

First, was it an oversight on your side that when I first walked up to you to say hello and you turned and walked away?  You were new as far I as I knew and being a somewhat "seasoned" lady of the grand lodge, I thought I would make myself known to you. I had no idea who you were and just wanted to say hello.

This was the first time, but not the last, just to make ourselves clear. 

Next if you are Glen Cook, then maybe you could answer a question for me that the posters on this board would not know the answer to.

It would nothing embarassing, no breaches of confidentiality would be  taken, and no names are required.  Just a simple answer that only you would be able to answer.

Let me know if this is acceptable for you to answer and I will talk to you more then. 

Signature 

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Bliss
Happy_Heretic

Logged in: 2
Not logged in: 65
Logged in anonymous: 0
(Joined in last 24 hours)

Total members: 9736
OT: Know Anyone With MS?
by Strong Free & Thankful