Let’s go tubing!
[Palmetto Post-Mor...]
Stampede Get Together!
[Calgary Post-Morm...]
We're going to Camp Quest!
[Switzerland Post-...]
Why I am a Better Mother
by aworkinprogress
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
exmoinaz
SF Bay Area Monthly Gathering SUNDAY (5/4)
owned
The Mormon Mask
by Born Free
Las Vegas Meetup--Jazz in the Park Saturday May 10 6:30PM
onendagus
Resignation Letter to My Family
ShadowSage
ShadowSage
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Guru Busters
by Flora4
Hbush1987
General Non-Conference: Palmetto State Session
Swearing Elder
Sunday Morning Hangout at Container Park March 30th
onendagus
Second Wednesdays
Houston
Swearing Elder
dovahkiyn
February Meetup Sunday the 16th 2:00pm Grand Cafe at Sunset Station
onendagus
Visitors welcome !
priorvej12
Las Vegas meetup Sun Jan 12th 1pm at Milos in Boulder City
onendagus
January 5th- Southern Utah PostMormon Lecture Series
gypsyrose
Book of Mormon Tories
by Tom Donofrio
Book of Mormon Tories
by Nogginus Skepticalus
Native American DNA
by GTM
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Reuben
Ongoing Monthly Gatherings!
Virginia Steve
CALM meet up for June
4bagel
  It gets better! Resources to help with coping
  House Rules for posting on this website
  Why is there sometimes anger here?
  Glossary of Post-Mormon Terms
  Frequently Asked Questions

1 of 5
Mass Resignation?  Should we do it?

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

I just finished reading the thread about the email campaign in California.  The church is trying to ban gay marriage, and many people on the thread were seriously considering resigning over this issue alone...

I know the idea of mass resignation has been thrown around before, but what if we actually did it?  What if we all sent in our resignation papers on the same day?  All saying the same thing... that we didn't agree with the church's stance on gay marriage and equal rights.

We could even contact some media? Just a thought... maybe I am just rambling. 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

My Photos: My Photography Website

My Flickr:Flickr

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-15

Makes me wish I hadn't resigned yet, so I could take part.
 Signature 

The truth can withstand ANY criticism!
PinkRibbon.jpg

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

Maybe you could still add your name to it, be a part of it.

I knew I wasn't resigning for a reason... and know I think I know what that reason was! 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

wintersfootsteps:

I just finished reading the thread about the email campaign in California.  The church is trying to ban gay marriage, and many people on the thread were seriously considering resigning over this issue alone...

I know the idea of mass resignation has been thrown around before, but what if we actually did it?  What if we all sent in our resignation papers on the same day?  All saying the same thing... that we didn't agree with the church's stance on gay marriage and equal rights.

We could even contact some media? Just a thought... maybe I am just rambling. 

Daughter..daughter..do it!!  Love the idea!!  You have my support..

All others..if interested, lets get this in the Trib or something...Utah's

support alone, would be a real eye-opener!!!!!

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

YES! I'm ready to do it, just need someone to nudge me in that direction.

They get two with mine, my 12 yo has no desire to keep his church membership.

A mass-mailing would be awesome! What date should we do it? In a couple of weeks? OH, I KNOW! July 23rd!!! Freaking Pioneer Day! yes yes yes...

Signature 

“Some things must be said, and there are times when silence becomes an accomplice to injustice.”
-Ayaan Hirsi Ali

“Man’s refusal to see the obvious, his longing for a better deal even if it is based on pure fiction, his determination to remain blind have no limits.”
-Michel Onfray

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

Drone-no-more:

YES! I'm ready to do it, just need someone to nudge me in that direction.

They get two with mine, my 12 yo has no desire to keep his church membership.

A mass-mailing would be awesome! What date should we do it? In a couple of weeks? OH, I KNOW! July 23rd!!! Freaking Pioneer Day! yes yes yes...

Pioneer day is a fantastic idea!  

If July 4th wasn't so close I would have loved to do it on Independence Day.  We could make a point that all men are created equal and that we are declaring our independence from their organization... we just wouldn't have the time to get it all done. 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

I am in!!!!!!!!!! 
 Signature 

igmomma

“Gargantuan. You know, I’ve always liked that word gargantuan, I so rarely have the opportunity to use it in a sentence.” -Elle Driver

“Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one’s self.” - Wizard’s 10th Rule

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

OOooo..go for it, and find a way to tag all of us on that have resigned in the last year or so...I would love to be a part of this!
 Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

I think a mass resignation is in order not just because of the whole marriage debate but also because its a perfect response to the church's whole "reactivation" effort. 

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

Here is what I am thinking...

There is a front page with a letter we all agree to and sign our names to... saying we don't agree with the church's stance of equal rights and we refuse to be a part of an organization that would treat people in this manner.  Every letter will have a list of names (hopefully a lot of names) of people resigning now, or who have already resigned.

Then, we each write our own resignation letter and attach it to the cover letter.  It can be anything, even the letter from mormonnomore.   

Does that sound good? 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

wintersfootsteps:

Here is what I am thinking...

There is a front page with a letter we all agree to and sign our names to... saying we don't agree with the church's stance of equal rights and we refuse to be a part of an organization that would treat people in this manner.  Every letter will have a list of names (hopefully a lot of names) of people resigning now, or who have already resigned.

Then, we each write our own resignation letter and attach it to the cover letter.  It can be anything, even the letter from mormonnomore.   

Does that sound good? 

I love this...PM me WFS when you have time..

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-16

I really don't know if I am ready, in fact, I had figured I would probably never resign, but this new gay marriage thing has me reconsidering.  I might just do it.  Still undecided, but thanks for the nudge.  I DO like the idea, just don't know if I have the nerve - and there are issues with DW.
 Signature 

Flat Lander

Presiding Bishop
Moron Church of Latter-day Saints

Following in the False Traditions of our Fathers
Seeking All Lightmindedness and Loud Laughter

Visit the Moron Church website
And visit us on Facebook
and YouTube

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

Flat Lander:
I really don't know if I am ready, in fact, I had figured I would probably never resign, but this new gay marriage thing has me reconsidering.  I might just do it.  Still undecided, but thanks for the nudge.  I DO like the idea, just don't know if I have the nerve - and there are issues with DW.

This would give you  a chance to resign without having to state ALL your

issues with the church..this is a cause enough for many to disassociate

from the church...by itself!  Hugs to those who are "in  a  pickle"...DW

might understand this better than you think..???

Vickie

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

I am going to post something about it on my blog... there are tons of people who read it that don't go to other ex-Mormon sites.  Some of them might just like the idea as well.

Is there anyone here who has a fantastic way with words?  Someone that wants to draft up the cover letter?  I am too damn judgmental of my own writing skills to give it justice.  It needs to be something that gets people talking, something that makes them understand we mean business.... 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

wintersfootsteps:

I am going to post something about it on my blog... there are tons of people who read it that don't go to other ex-Mormon sites.  Some of them might just like the idea as well.

Is there anyone here who has a fantastic way with words?  Someone that wants to draft up the cover letter?  I am too damn judgmental of my own writing skills to give it justice.  It needs to be something that gets people talking, something that makes them understand we mean business.... 

Lets have one big letter on a 24th of July float!!  A postmo float!!

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

Okay guys,  I am really going to do this!

If you want to be a part of it, or sign the cover letter, please email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I will add you to the email list.  I will keep everyone informed.  

If you have anything to add, or have more ideas, please post here or send me an email.  I really hope to get a lot of people... I would love for this to be a huge statement. 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

My Turn:

Oh, that's right - it's the 24th, NOT the 23rd! I got it mixed up with my parents anniversery - oops.  I thought the 4th was a great idea also, just didn't know if we could pull it together in time.

Signature 

“Some things must be said, and there are times when silence becomes an accomplice to injustice.”
-Ayaan Hirsi Ali

“Man’s refusal to see the obvious, his longing for a better deal even if it is based on pure fiction, his determination to remain blind have no limits.”
-Michel Onfray

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

Drone-no-more:
My Turn:

Oh, that's right - it's the 24th, NOT the 23rd! I got it mixed up with my parents anniversery - oops.  I thought the 4th was a great idea also, just didn't know if we could pull it together in time.

I don't think we could get enough people involved that quickly... I wish we could!  I am definitely shooting for the 24th!

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-23

I'm in.
 Signature 

I will never live down this spanking thing, will I?

-Miss Diana

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-26

I am totally in.    My resignation is power in my hands.  the church doesn't care if I resign because I don't pay tithing now but they would care if my resignation made the news.  It would make the news if a lot of people resigned at once.  Even those that already resigned could pitch in their names.  The church would see the resignation of a person that resigned last year as invalid but the papers would not.  I think we are looking for this headline.

New York Times.  

Thousands Quit Mormon Church Over Gay Marriage.

Think about how badly the church fears the perception that their numbers are shrinking.   Pioneer Day sounds great too.  It is the most Mormon day. Circle the hand carts children, let's explore new territory.

Signature 

“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Alice in Wonderland.

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

I am really excited that so many people are interested in doing this!!! Please pass the word along to anyone you might feel would be interested, and we can get some publicity!!

We need to make a statement.  It needs to be done. 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-10

I'm ready, I'm ready!!!
 Signature 

“We begin to take life seriously when we take death seriously…. Every moment is precious; each day is full of meaning” ~Eknath Easwaran
“For faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction - faith in fiction is a damnable false hope.” ~Thomas Edison

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-20

Hiker r:

.... I think we are looking for this headline.

New York Times.  

Thousands Quit Mormon Church Over Gay Marriage.

I can only imagine this...wouldn't it be incredible?

Signature 

-Ayaan Hirsi Ali

-Michel Onfray

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

I am really excited about this...

I added something on my blog and I put up my blog's email address for anyone to contact me... so far only one email has come, but I am sure more are on the way.  This is still very new.

The more names we have, the more it will mean.  Even if you have already resigned, we could use your name on the cover letter.

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-09

I've been sitting on this fence long enough! I've had my letter, copied from mormonnomore, living on my computer. Now I'll have to edit it, to change the bish's name. But this sounds like an EXCELLENT idea!!!

I don't get the church's unbending stance on gay marriage. I'm a married woman of 18 years (in September) and if gay couples want to marry, it just doesn't affect me or my marriage one bit. Live and let live I think!  

Signature 

Pam

GREENeyes.gif

Normal is just a setting on a washing machine

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

dogbusters:

I've been sitting on this fence long enough! I've had my letter, copied from mormonnomore, living on my computer. Now I'll have to edit it, to change the bish's name. But this sounds like an EXCELLENT idea!!!

I don't get the church's unbending stance on gay marriage. I'm a married woman of 18 years (in September) and if gay couples want to marry, it just doesn't affect me or my marriage one bit. Live and let live I think!  

I have been waiting to resign, but I didn't know why.

Now I do!  This will be so fantastic if we do it right... if we get enough people... please pass the word along!   

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-11

I have already resigned, but I would definately be willing to add my name to the list!

Signature 

*Caryn*

“Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.”
-Buddha

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

Hey guys..no matter what we do and can accomplish, I believe the biggest impact will still show in your sacrament meetings..I am so proud of the people here!! My great admiration goes to those of you who have been trying hard to not rock the boat..but taking a stand right now. I admire you so much!
 Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-18

I think this is a great idea.  It makes a definite statement to the church.

I've already resigned but you can add my name to the list and I'll ask my DH about his and let you know.

I just emailed you.

We should post this on other forums... anyone who posts on a different forum could put up a thread about joining this.

Let's not forget our friends on the CC board...     They can show their support too!

Signature 

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle.  We’re no longer interested in finding the truth.  The bamboozle has captured us.  It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken.”  Carl Sagan

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-08

I want to be in too...sooooo badly. Its not fair we live in a town of 900 if we resign my kids will be outcasts. ughhhhh not fair!

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

I AM IN!!  can't speak for DH but he mostly likely is in, it's always driven him nuts when the church would get involved in "moral" issues and tell us how to vote, it ticked him off back in 2002 when they herded us in the gym after the block and handed us all papers to sign because, "the first presidency supports this completely so of course we do"

i can't write worth a flyin' wahoo though, someone else will have to word it, perhaps a group could work together to write it and then dogzilla could edit it for us perhaps and then we have a group in charge of gathering all the people's stuff and a group in charge of contacting the media...YEAH BAYBA THIS IS AWESOME!!  i really feel the SpiritTM do you guys?

Signature 

Hawkgirl: Standard interrogation technique. I was bad cop.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-21

I stopped going to church over Oregon's involvement with the gay marriage initiative 5 years ago.

I have been thinking about this decision to resign for a long time. Mostly the thought of hurting my parents killed me.

This has made my decision. I can not and will not be counted as a member of a church that would do this. I am literally sick about this.

Count me in. AHHH that made we scared and elated at the same time.

Email me WFS with any details that need to be done.

Britt

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-21

Perhaps we could beg our Peter Mary to write something. He is an amazing writer and a nice guy.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

WELL, CRAP! I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO BE PART OF THIS MASS RESIGNATION.

I VOTE "YES" DO IT, JUST DO IT ALREADY.

MESAMOM

Signature 

This informative forum’s objective is to promote thought outside the box

RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-16

I think the mass resignation is an excellent idea. I was also thinking that those who don't feel they can actually resign right now might be able help by signing a letter of support for those who are resigning stating that they sympathize with the decision to resign even though they are not ready to do so at this time.

I really think if there are enough people involved there is the possibility of getting some pretty good media attention.

I have already resigned, but I feel willing to add my name to the list as this is the very issue I resigned over. (I better talk this over with my family before I make any promises).

Signature 

You must be
the change you wish to see in the world.
mahatma gandhi

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

waverlyplc:

I stopped going to church over Oregon's involvement with the gay marriage initiative 5 years ago.

I have been thinking about this decision to resign for a long time. Mostly the thought of hurting my parents killed me.

This has made my decision. I can not and will not be counted as a member of a church that would do this. I am literally sick about this.

Count me in. AHHH that made we scared and elated at the same time.

Email me WFS with any details that need to be done.

Britt

Courage that I admire...hugs and way to go!!

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

dogbusters:

You are so great Pam!! 

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-26

Shimon:

I think the mass resignation is an excellent idea. I was also thinking that those who don't feel they can actually resign right now might be able help by signing a letter of support for those who are resigning stating that they sympathize with the decision to resign even though they are not ready to do so at this time.

I really think if there are enough people involved there is the possibility of getting some pretty good media attention.

I have already resigned, but I feel willing to add my name to the list as this is the very issue I resigned over. (I better talk this over with my family before I make any promises).

That makes sense too (orange).  Resigning is a big deal and not everybody wants to do it. 

Here are my thoughts: We (somebody suggested Peter Mary) compose a one page letter to the church stating that the church has become a political organization that violates human rights by persecuting homosexuals and violates the core Christian value of “love thy neighbor.”   At the bottom there are four places to sign

1. I resign from the church (list of names)
  2. I am a former member that resigned already due to the church’s persecution of homosexuals (list of names)
  3. I am a member that stands in protest against the church’s persecution of homosexuals (list of names)

A copy of the letter gets shipped around the world as a forward. Tens of thousands of people will get the forward and many will sign the petition.  Thousands of people have probably read about this campaign already on this forum and we havn't' figured out what it is.  The internet is powerful. On Pioneer Day, we send the letter and names to Monson and cc every major newspaper in the country.  The TSCC would likely deem the resignations invalid but so what.  We are actually targeting the newspapers.

What are your thoughts?  Do we save women’s rights for another day?  I  am a little concerned that Winterfootsteps personal blog might  get overwhelmed, if it is  grand central for  a thousand signatories.   I am not techy enough to know.

Signature 

“I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” Alice in Wonderland.

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-30

Hiker r:
Shimon:

That makes sense too (orange).  Resigning is a big deal and not everybody wants to do it. 

Here are my thoughts: We (somebody suggested Peter Mary) compose a one page letter to the church stating that the church has become a political organization that violates human rights by persecuting homosexuals and violates the core Christian value of “love thy neighbor.”   At the bottom there are four places to sign

1. I resign from the church (list of names)
  2. I am a former member that resigned already due to the church’s persecution of homosexuals (list of names)
  3. I am a member that stands in protest against the church’s persecution of homosexuals (list of names)

A copy of the letter gets shipped around the world as a forward. Tens of thousands of people will get the forward and many will sign the petition.  Thousands of people have probably read about this campaign already on this forum and we havn't' figured out what it is.  The internet is powerful. On Pioneer Day, we send the letter and names to Monson and cc every major newspaper in the country.  The TSCC would likely deem the resignations invalid but so what.  We are actually targeting the newspapers.

What are your thoughts?  Do we save women’s rights for another day?  I  am a little concerned that Winterfootsteps personal blog might  get overwhelmed, if it is  grand central for  a thousand signatories.   I am not techy enough to know.

Signature 

No, I am not LDS.

RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-01

Wow.  Just... Wow.

I am really blown away from the amount of emails I have received so far, and I hope I get more.  If you email me and I don't reply right away, it's not because I dont' care!

There are so many people who want to take a stand here, and it's almost bringing me to tears to see that we can stand together and have a voice.

I love hiker's idea.  We need to get a letter going around the internet where people can add their names and possibly comments if they like.  The more names we get, the better.  We can contact the media when we do this, it will be great! 

Signature 

My Blog:
Windy Sydney

Long Timer
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-11

im in...even though the TSCC ex'd me in 1999, i'll put my name on list-- and i'm gay...so it's perfect!

i'll send you an email windy and we'll go from there! 

poodledoodledude 

1 of 5

Our next project
will be announced soon.

Tax exempt status.
Bonneville2003
Kori
Strong Free & Thankful
Tapir Whisperer

Logged in: 4
Not logged in: 62
Logged in anonymous: 0